1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

So, i was planning on getting an Olympus Pen F to replace the OMD EM5 Mk1 that i currently have, as a travel camera. But it seems that the Pen is now discontinued and there is no viable replacement.

On the other hand the GX9 is still available and in a similar bracket. Thoughts on pulling the trigger on that with the 20% off DigiDirect sale?

Or do i splash for the E-M5 Mk3?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  2. Hater

Hater Member

I love my GX9 but unsure what you're looking for in a camera. It's size is the best. I did like my old M5 (Mk 1) in the hand better, but it was physically noticeably bigger. The GX9 has a way better control layout though (vs the Mk 1, the Mk 3 has a different layout so meh good work Hater)

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

FWIW i ended up with the E-M5 Mk3. Pivoting screen (doing a lot of self-recorded lectures in the WFH period) and better AF compatibility with my existing lenses sold me, plus being a relatively known quantity in the hand. Got it for not much more than the GX9 with the current sale at dD.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  4. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Any movement upward in the way of IQ?

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

Compared to the E-M5 Mk1, yeah plenty. The 20mpx sensor is a much improved beast, and better IS too. So low light/higher ISO photography is actually possible.

Video is much better as well.

6. Hater

Hater Member

So I bought a Canon C100 off the bay of E only to have old mate cancel the order on me :(

As nobody wanted my MFT lenses figured meh, I'll keep true on my "buy a BMPCC4K" idea

last week, $1899.

this week due to crap AUD, $2399 :(

they're a Melbourne based company who rely on international sales so yeah.

soooo jumped on a second hand BMPCC non 4K. super 16 here we come.

speed booster time. at least I'll be able to play with it on my GX9 as well.

so GX9 when I need stabilisation and autofocus, BMPCC when I'm in a fixed setting

should be fun to play with!

7. Azrael

Azrael Member

Haha, should have said. Might have swapped my BMPCC for the GX9...

8. Hater

Hater Member

nah, the BMPCC is too limited (battery life, crop, no slow mo capabilities etc) for me to use as my sole camera, I was offered one as a trade by a different user earlier but yeah I often rely on IBIS and things like that

I just want to play with a cinema camera and stuff for fun, I aint no videographer

9. Hater

Hater Member

Is there a current good SD card? Been using 95MB/s 16GB Lexar Professional cards but need some more.... do I stick with what I know or is there some super awesome new card I should grab instead

10. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

11. Kurgan

Kurgan Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Member

Im using Samsung 128gb, as i need the extra space for recording on the BMPCC.

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

Bought Affinity Photo for my iPad since I’m in lockdown without my laptop. Looks like it can stack things which is great.

does anyone know how to convert to lab colour? I want to unsharp mask on a and b?

edit: figured it out finally, tap document icon with three dots then convert document, then it shows up at the bottom

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I bought that a while ago but went back to Lightroom as i'm so used to it. I think if they had a DAM like that built in to lightroom it'd be so good.

Do you use it on your laptop too or just the ipad now?

15. Hater

Hater Member

I was like pssscht MicroSD would never work in a camera like this (I have a bunch of MicroSD's for drones) but just tried and yep works fine wtf. It doesn't like my full size Sandisk SD 95MB/s cards (the Lexars work fine) but Samsung MicroSD no problems RAW @ 108024fps wtf

16. Zee

Zee Member

Affinity is pretty awesome, it's *not quite* Photoshop - yet, but they are making leaps and strides with each update. I'm using their Designer and Publisher apps, too. Couldn't be happier to be free of Adobe-land.

Give Exposure X5 a test run. It's very similar to Lightroom in look and feel, and I find file management to be far better. So easy to shift files around once they need to be moved off my laptop. Just cut and paste to NAS/external drive/whatever - bam - edits and keywords kept. Just wish they had a version for iPad Pro...

Z...

17. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Thanks mate, i'll give it a squiz!

18. Zee

Zee Member

Keep in mind, it is not a catalog like Lightroom, as much as it has has data files in the image folders with your keywords and edits. I kinda of wish I understood how Lightroom deals with it's catalogues, as when my PC crashed a few years back, I had back ups of all my pics, but not the catalogs - years of edits *gone*. My own fault, but still, ha dI been using exposure, the edits would have been backed up with my photos.

Anyway, check it out, it may or may not work for you, but worth taking advantage of the free trial.

Z...

19. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I ran into the same issue with catalogues actually so kinda glad i can get away from it potentially.

Does it do bulk exporting easily?

20. Athiril

Athiril Member

IPad Pro only, that’s why I bought it, photoshop for iPad is missing stuff I’d like to use right now while in lockdown and I don’t have my laptop with me.

I can’t replace Lightroom, the cloud editing, online proofing and online distribution without having to upload or reupload if you make any changes is too good, there is nothing offering anything even remotely as capable or similar as Lightroom does, especially since I can import and sync directly from iPad I don’t need to go home and transfer from sd card... well stuck indoors anyway now but yeah.

obviously the only way you’re getting cloud stuff is with a subscription not a one off fee.

People are mad it’s subscription based, but honestly the workflow is just ridiculously faster and more efficient for me now.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020