1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Athiril

Athiril Member

Affinity Photo on iPad is far more photoshop than photoshop is on iPad, photoshop on iPad does have a lot but it’s missing a lot too.

2. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I actually dont like the online and still use lightroom classic but don't like paying a subscription. Just want a perpetual licence tbh

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah, i dont do enough with LR to warrant the subscription. Perhaps if i was doing more photography again, but currently other things are taking up my time.

4. Zee

Zee Member

Interesting - never tried Photoshop for iPad. I moved to Affinity and Exposure as soon as it became clear that Creative Rape subscriptions were Adobe's long term plan. It may make sense for pros earning a living from this stuff, but as a hobbyist, it's extortionate.

Couldn't be happier, to be honest.

Z...

5. Hater

Hater Member

Every time I turn my camera on it asks me what focal length the attached lens is (unless it’s a native MFT lens with electronicals inside it of course)

I’m using a Nikon Series E 50mm on a 0.58x Speedbooster

How do I work this out?

lens is for a 35mm film camera so full frame, MFT crop means 50mm becomes 25mm, do i times 25 by 0.58 to give me a 14.5mm lens?

Nevermind, seems using a BMPCC speedbooster on a GX9 is bad, the camera won't take a photo, I assume the speedbooster is interfering with the sensor somehow... which sucks, I took some film with the lens and damn I really like it!

More reading, people run this 0.58x speedbooster on GH5's... the GX9 crops in when filling 4K which means if I stick to 4K it won't vignette!

Weird it spazzes out if I try and take a photo though.

Hmm.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  6. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

How's everyone's motivation in isolation?

I've been contemplating indulging in some vacant streetscapes but not sure if I could fob it off as essential or exercise related...

7. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Missing the footy season, both for the escape as well as the money.
    Pretty much now limited to just photos of my son when we go out for a walk

herzeg likes this.
  8. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Having a backyard and multiple macro lenses is not the worst thing in the world right about now. Otherwise going for a run with my phone and taking some snaps at the top of hills at sunrise etc.

herzeg likes this.
  9. thommo101

thommo101 Member

I've been working from home, so have been taking the opportunity to do short walks over to the local river with the telephoto to try and capture some birds in flight. Some success. But annoyingly it is hard to avoid people out there because its a popular walking area and there is about 3-4x the normal amount of people out and about.

10. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah, they all have pretty much the same design and they all work pretty well (unless your phone is in a case with a bulge in it, like a Quad Lock).

I really like the Studio Neat Glif, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend spending that much money ;)

12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

perfect timing for digidirect to have 20% off on their ebay store.. picked up a joby for $20

13. Hater

Hater Member

I snapped the tangs off a gopro to UNC adaptor and glued it to clamp off a selfie stick.

14. Hater

Hater Member

Got me two Nikon Series E (nifty 50 1.8 + 36-72 3.5) and a Nikkor 28mm 3.5. All from the 70's. I'm blown away how nice they look on the BMPCC. Super 16 + 70's glass it's so soft and dreamy, so smooth

15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

So I’ve got next week off, intending to go through and organise all my photos (didn’t realise how all over the place they are!!). Anyone recommend software to do this? Preferably one that removes duplicates as well and can bulk rename

16. Zee

Zee Member

Just by the way...

Affinity photo is half price right now (about AU$38), and also has a 90 day free trial.

Z...

17. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Picked up all 3 programs in the hopes of freeing myself from on-again-off-again Creative Suite use...

Zee and jpw007 like this.
  18. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

interested in this too

19. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Lightroom will avoid importing duplicates but realistically there isnt an app that does everything you want AFAIK

To me your best bet would be to sort folders/contents with an app like Photomechanic (including easy to navigate in duplicate deletion and batch renaming) and then import/create yearly catalogs (or split however you want) in Lightroom and then have one master catalog that combines all of these into one.

supasaiyan likes this.
  20. millsy

millsy Member

fdupes? Haha.

It's a big endeavour!