1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Should be a couple open source options that will do that, but separate tools for each. I used one recently to locate and delete duplicates, then another to batch resize (phone images no DSLR ones). Organising i personally just create folders and do myself which is pretty easy though is time consuming if heaps. It helps that mobile pics are named as their timestamp !

2. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

I drew the line (on choice of editing suite, workflow) end of last year and as a result, every photo I have taken in 2020 is processed and stored as a 92% quality JPEG, and RAWs purged - I figured if I'm satisfied with the output, no point hanging onto RAWs in the hope of some day coming back to further tinker. No hope in hell that is ever going to happen, if the last 20 years serve precedent. Exceptions, of course, do apply.

I use the DXO suite (PhotoLab, FilmPack and ViewPoint) for culling and processing and LR for cataloging and printing only; I have a 'WIP' folder on my desktop for processing, with individual sub-folders for every camera that own/use (5), and a sub-folder for 'Processed' files.

My processing is done on my NVMe SSD C drive, and my processed files are stored on another physical drive.

My process is:
    1. Copy RAWs from memory card into ...WIP\Camera X folder
    2. Cull and process in DXO PhotoLab
      • PhotoLab integrates FilmPack and ViewPoint functionality into the main console really well, so I very seldom, if ever, use the two bespokely
      • I have configured a bunch of presets (per camera, per scene type) that save me a fuckton of time batch processing (ftr, I have a soft spot for all flavours of Kodak Ektachrome emulation, which tends to form the basis of all my main colour presets)
    3. Export processed files, at 92% JPEG, into 'Processed' sub-folder
    4. Use LR to import (Move) files from the 'Processed' folder, to the D drive structure; naturally, all exif/custom metadata is retained
      • Back up D drive periodically
    5. Delete processed RAWs from ...WIP\Camera X folder
    I'm in a really good place right now, and for the first time in a very long time, feel on top of it.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    theSeekerr likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Member

So i must have completely missed the fact that GoPro have discontinued their Session range, and only realised this when i went to JB to buy a new one.

Anyone have a suggestion on a similar form factor camera that is easily clipped in and out of a cage?

4. Hater

Hater Member

Session 5 while you can heh

Osmo Pocket unclips and clips easily but is taller and will need to be set to gimbal lock mode otherwise it'll move as you move.

Buuuut if you're going for that form factor might as well go an Insta360 for all of the BTS angles

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  5. Azrael

Azrael Member

Session 5 was discontinued 2 years ago!

6. Athiril

Athiril Member

Yeah it’s on sale atm
    [​IMG]

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

I saw in the U.S. they had a half price or better sale on the hero 7 and hero 8

There’s also the Caddx Orca that’s the same form factor as the session

8. Hater

Hater Member

Yeah but they also come in second hand :)

9. Athiril

Athiril Member

AUD has risen to December levels, can we expect pricing to go back to December levels too?

10. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Just sprung the cash for a Sony adapted Biotar 50/1.4 - how long is postage now from Eastern Europe?

11. Athiril

Athiril Member

Canon’s making 120-700mm, 600mm f/11 and 800mm f/11. Pretty exciting, also Sigma making a 100-400mm for Sony FE.

12. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

so whats the thoughts on the f/11 len's? Bright lit day/sporting events lens?

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

if they’re actually affordable (and sharp) then they’re great, ISO performance today is far better than that of years ago, and people made do with f/5.6 - f/8

14. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

On a long lens, when cropping is likely, on modern high-density sensors...........F/11 is going to soften things. Even on my old 7D with a 2x, I won't stop down to F/11 as it starts to get softer.

15. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

I thought this more of a sensor limitation than lens; same reason I find results from MFT Pro telephoto lenses underwhelming for semi/distant subjects - mushy pixel heaven (well, not quite, but certainly no wow factor for pixel-peeping souls).

Foveon, on the other hand; the droolings...

16. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Being DO lens's though probably procludes them from cheapness?

17. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Never considered even trying film. Seems so backwards etc.

A pair of old Nikon’s fell into my lap this weekend. A Nikkormat FTN and a Nikomat EL.

Wow these bodies have a super satisfying heft to them and the mechanical interface is really nice with the clunks and noises. Had a friend over for dinner who happened to have a spare roll of Fuji ISO200 film so we tidied the FTN up and despite the light blocking foam having perished and disappeared somewhere everything else seems really good still.
    Been taking some shots using a mix of EOS R and an iPhone app to try and meter exposures as the one in camera is either broken or the battery is flat (guessing flat... or flat and broken!).
    Will be interesting seeing what comes out.

Came with a very old roll of Kodak film mostly used in the camera too. I might get it processed as well and see what’s on there. Hopefully my grandpa wasn’t into photographing weird shit ahaha!

2C175AC0-AD38-485F-BB0E-641F4F0AE739.jpeg

die_piggy and herzeg like this.
  18. davidblight

davidblight Member

Out of curiosity, what drew you to the Biotar? I happened across a 75mm one end of last year for a steal so picked it up, but considering moving it on due to lack of use...

19. Hater

Hater Member

I love film. I only have a Nikon EM but it's such a rewarding experience. Make sure to do a test roll to ensure the camera isn't leaking light etc before putting some real effort in though!

20. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I’m really anxious to get this first roll developed to see if there’s any light leaks like you say or that the shutter speed isn’t way off or something like that.

The meter is dead in the camera. Or at least wildly inaccurate due to alkaline battery where a mercuric oxide was specified so I’ve been using a phone app to meter... it more often than not matches what the metering on our EOS R says so that’s something!