1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Hater

Hater Member

Take this with a grain of salt as they're different cameras but I changed the chonk battery in the EM out for two modern cells stacked and it works great!

I had a roll of B&W film in my Opas Voightlander that I had developed (took ages to find someone who could develop it) but it was a blank roll! :(

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It seems alkaline discharge significantly differently to MO cells and the end result is that the meter (at least in the old Nikkormats) just gets more and more inaccurate and they discharge. The whole circuit is designed on the assumption of a constant 1.35v until the battery just dies completely. Any deviation from 1.35v throws metering out entirely :(

Oh damn that would have sucked :(

3. Athiril

Athiril Member

How about a voltage regulator?

4. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I started dabbling in film, shooting alongside digital. I'd fine tune the shot with the DSLR, then dial in the same settings, swap the flash trigger over and fire off a couple of shots.

5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

There's actually a voltage regulating adapter specifically for this battery but it's about $50 and I couldn't actually get them to sell me it from the UK. I'm not actually too bothered to not have the in camera metering working.
    I haven't even had a roll developed and I want to pick up an old Bronica medium format thing! There's just something so pleasant about the mechanicalness and slow speed of it. I'm terrible with digital - I have not an artistic bone in my body and I just mash the shutter enough that occasionally something nice is accidentally caught :p

6. onrelas

onrelas Member

Once you start with medium format it may be hard to go back to 35mm. I know it was for me.

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

Rollei Retro 80s is nice in 35mm when you're used to medium format. Sharp as T-Max but with much finer grain.

8. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I don't think I'll ever get there tbh. A mf body that looks like it'd work is preeeety expensive!

I got my test roll back that I ran through the Nikkormat FTN. It's been in a draw for potentially 40 years and all I did was dust it off, clean the mirror and front and rear element of the lens (which has no lens/back cap and a scratch on the front element). Been metering exposure using an iPhone app.

I am actually floored by how way the shots came out!

000069470027_24A.jpg

Straight out of camera. Well, straight from the dropbox the photolap uploaded the scanned negative to! ISO200 probably about f8ish. At full res it's sharp as shit!

die_piggy likes this.
  9. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

What the sex happened to Olympus prices; I'm looking at some of the Pro lenses and they seem to be double the price than when I last looked... :wired:

https://shop.olympus.com.au/sale

10. Zee

Zee Member

At those prices, I may just sell off my Oly gear and go to Fuji...

Z...

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

To be honest those prices seem well over the odds compared to DigiDirect / DCW etc.

12. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Everything has gone up, not just Olympus. I can only assume that everyone has more or less stopped manufacturing - whether to purposely rid of existing stock only (due to fear of reduced purchasing power of consumers), parts/supply chain problems, or who knows. But that's just my guessing.

We're relatively very early on in a massive global economic shift. I highly doubt things like camera/lens pricing will stay how it is - I still expect used prices will drop if (when) things get worse, but no idea on new gear. I expect that even the bigger chains now are holding very minimum stock levels to reduce risk, so even if they collapse I don't expect the market will get flooded.

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

Olympus closed shop and got sold off to another company

14. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

16. Hater

Hater Member

[​IMG]

That's my first film photo. Heh.

holdennutta likes this.
  17. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

What film? It looks nice.

I'm going to shoot a sunrise tomorrow morning at a pier. It's pretty cliche but I'm excited to get the film out for something planned.

18. Hater

Hater Member

Ultramax 400

19. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks, it looks nice I'll check it out.

I got GAS hard. Just ordered a Nikon F100 off ebay and a 50mm f/1.8D on sale from DCW. It's mad that new was cheaper than every single eBay option and used on Gumtree was only a few bucks less.

20. Hater

Hater Member

I have a Nikkor 28mm I want to use with my EM, but it doesn't fit, yet it fits fine on my Nikon F speedbooster for my video cameras. Hmm.

I guess i'll just collect all the Series E lenses for it.