General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

All this MF chat has me wanting a Mamiya 6/7 again...unfortunately I still don't seem to be rich.

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

The price of the Mamiya 6 and 7 is eye wateringly mad!

3. Athiril

Athiril Member

makes me want to import some Shanghai gp3 again :Paranoid:

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

6x7 just has that feel too it :) Very nice, my first big medium format camera and first love is the RZ67.

Loads of fun (and gives you guns)

5. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Last outing pre Melb stage 4 lockdown messing with long exposures with a 10x ND filter (what a pita that is); man forgot to turn off VR and now man's got 200+ photos with god-awful micro-blur (looked great on camera)... :tired:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  6. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I remember shooting three quarters of an airshow in medium resolution JPG only to discover when I got home that they weren't RAW.. Needless to say, I WAS PISSED.. so i know how you feel herzeg.. lol

7. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I went through a phase when I started playing with film where I’d meter my scene manually all carefully and then forget to actually set the camera to those settings... Quite a few improperly exposed frames that way haha.

Mostly overexposed though so some were still quite fine. Hooray film!

8. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Even after just a single roll through the Mamiya I’m thinking it’s not really for me. Genuinely not sure where I’d use it other than home or some kind of location portrait shoot and I don’t do portraits soooooo. It’s lovely to use but I can’t see myself using it much...

The Bronica on the other hand is freaking lovely. Quality is great. Feels good in the hand even with grips. Just not sold on the 6x6.

I think I’ll do a few more rolls through the Mamiya to make sure I prefer 6x7 and then I might sell it and chase down a Pentax 6x7 or 67 to sit alongside the Bronica. Or maybe 35mm is enough for my non square image needs? Dunno.

Went to get some film developed and grab some more film. Thought I’d stock up a bit and save myself needing to go to the store so much. While I was grabbing stuff out of the fridge two staff commented “stocking up hey!?” Turns out you should probably work out how much this crap costs before you walk to the counter with it. Get told it’s $600ish for the developing and new film. Have the clerk ask if I wanted to put some back (must have seen my face). Then decide stuff it and get it all anyway. Wife isn’t thrilled...

21E172F6-2937-4509-8035-B516C8E42534.jpeg

Most expires in 2022 so I don’t feel too bad.

9. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Hanging to see some results... :thumbup:

10. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Haha me too!

I suspect there’s going to be a lot of duds on the first roll out of the Mamiya. My light meter was set to wrong iso. So I may have been metering about 3-4 stops over. Idiot.

11. Deftone2k

Impulse buying film in Oz is not... cheap :)

Plan ahead and order some from B&H (or some of the Oz shops that do some good sales).

6x7 no matter the format unless you pickup a Mamiya 7/Makina 67 or a folder is a big endeavour. Even the P67 is not light or small by any standard. The RZ is a beast but I have hiked/camped/seascaped and everything with it and no regrets.

If it's size that is the issue then look at 645 and go the Pentax 645n

No matter what you buy though if you don't have the glass that suits what you want to shoot then it won't ever feel right :)

12. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

If that lot lasts into 2022 I think it'll be quite reasonable lol.

Does the film survive the trip okay? Doesn't get CT scanned and X-rayed into oblivion?

The 1/1000th shutter speed on the Pentax is super appealing. I'm finding it sort of annoying needing to stop right down to get the needed speed down to 1/400th though it's really only one and a bit more stops. I could buy ND filter I suppose... Not expecting the pentax to be tiny. Just more manageable perhaps?

Noooooo! Negative must be as huge as possible otherwise what's the point :p

You're not wrong. I want more glass - just need to decide for what system :/

13. Deftone2k

I think in full flight I was shooting like 100-200 rolls a year? Depends how much you want to get out there and use it :)

It's fine bought pretty much all my film from B&H over the past 8+ years without issue.

I would just join some of the film groups and try before you buy. I don't think I ever bought a camera I hadn't had a good play with one first. I mean it's your money you can do what you want but if you arent sure what it is you are missing/needing then you will always be chasing something else. Surely one of the Brisbane stores that sells film/second hand cameras have some you can go hold/play with if you dont have local group to go to.

Don't forget with 6x7 your DOF is much greater due to the physical size of the 'image area' and the DOF that creates in having that (and increases as you move up in format size). So you don't need to shoot everything wide open to get beautiful DOF. That is not mutually exclusive to the Mamiya either. If you look at all the lens lineups the fastest you will get is Mamiya 80mm 1.9 (happy to be corrected) that sits on the 645, but in 6x7 land you are looking at the 105 2.4 (the rest is 2.8 and up).

This is the same across a lot of systems and formats as well with shutters not being much faster than 1/500 or 1/1000. In real term use, it's not that often I miss having faster than 1/500 (maybe on my Makina since shooting that at 2.8 is a dream). I find I generally shoot Portra 160 or Ektar 100 in that and rate it at ISO80 anyway.

This is where you need to pick your film for what you are wanting to shoot. There is a reason there is 50/100/400/800/1600/3200 film stocks :) The beauty with the RZ is you are not locked into any stock. I always have one colour back + one b&w back and then if I am going to shoot from day time to night time ill usually take an extra back to load high ISO film once it gets darker.

What is the point though? You would go straight to large format if that was the real issue lol :)

EDIT: A bajillion edits to fix all my horrible typos

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  14. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Holy moly...
    I don't get out to shoot a quarter as much as I'd like. Work. On-call. 12mo daughter etc ruining everything.

Sweet - I'll have to check it out. I do like supporting the local processor/film store though. They seem like decent people.

This is true. I've not yet got a decent hold of what aperture achieves what yet. Though these huge waist level finders are beautiful when used in the sun and you can see a lot.
    I would like one of these! I think the Pentax one is said to be super nice.
    Perhaps I'll give this a crack. I found the Porta 160 I have in the Bronica right now is pretty good for outside but as soon as I want to take an image inside it's almost unusable. I have a second back for the Bronica which I was thinking of putting B&W in but it might be that I have to keep a higher ISO film in it. Given it cost nearly $400 delivered I'm not sure I'll accumulate too many more!

Yep - I'm definitely still in the exploratory stage. I'm trying to try as many things as I can and work out where I enjoy shooting.

Hmm... I'm enjoying going slow with the film vs rattling off 900 images a minute on digital but I think that large format might just be a tad tooooo slow for me :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  15. Hater

Hater Member

I'm doing the opposite. Loving making stories with a roll of film in the EM so now i'm looking to go digital again... just for ease of obtaining images! Of course like a month after selling my GX9 which would have been the absolute perfect camera for this...

16. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Man, I wish the RZ67 had an F/2.4 lens or similar... but still, the 2.8's are super nice.
    I have the 50mm, 110mm and the 180mm for this system. All are gorgeous of course, but the 110mm is my favourite by far.
    When I bought mine (would have been 8 or so years ago now) I got it with the Polaroid back on it. Sadly Fuji stopped producing film for it, and I'm on the last 6 packets of the C100 (All expired one year ago this month), and all out of the B&W 3000 stuff.

Just for reference, I have the Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 Deftone refers to for my DF645 and Digital back. It's an okay lens. Nothing spectacular, but it gives a super shallow depth of field. On Full frame 645 it's closer to a 45mm lens though, and for me the focal length just doesn't feel right. My SK LF 110mm f/2.8 though, probably the finest portrait lens I've got and used in my life... unfortunately it's relegated to the Digital MF on a Phase One/Mamiya body.

Nice to see more love for the 67RZ though... I didn't realise other people here had them!

17. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

The lab messed up and only did low res jpg scans instead of "pro" res so I only have these at the moment.

000016770003_###.jpg
    000016770007_###.jpg

Fuji Pro 400H. Rated at 200 and then accidentally over exposed another 1-2 stops because I'm an idiot. Surprised it still managed so well!
    I really like the look.

herzeg likes this.
  18. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Ok, you mofos pushed me over the edge; I should have me F100 in hand by EOW, in what will be my foray back into film since I parted ways with a trusted EOS 5 (with eye tracking AF!!!) back in 2004, and still have a couple of rolls of undeveloped film for, somewhere... Can't wait to Ektar it up.

holdennutta likes this.
  19. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

So I may have gone full retard.
    C0547F0A-3500-47CE-91D4-71FD182AE7AD.jpeg
    5D7DC7B8-FF3A-4406-B304-FAC4A8D85305.jpeg
    2FD5052D-1E4A-4103-A979-1C33019D4936.jpeg

And a set of close up lens things. Same guy I bought the RZ67 from had this too.

I think I’m sick. herzeg be careful mate. I bought a F100 and then this happened!

Attached Files:

20. onrelas

onrelas Member

It’s like I can see into the future or something ;)

Don’t worry. Just don’t get as bad as me and you’ll be ok. Thankfully I’ve found selling cameras quite a cathartic process in itself haha.