General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. metalrain

metalrain Member

Up to this point, the risks were well worth it. Like I've posted, I've never had issues with compatibility until now and ironically, one of the reasons why I went mirrorless was to take advantage of the lens adaptive capabilities of legacy and vintage lenses, even from non-Canon mounts. Now, those lenses I always have expected to have some issues but with EF lenses, I guess I just got complacent.

I think I might also upgrade my old DSLR with perhaps a Mark IV as a 2nd body to an RF body since they're getting pretty affordable now, should be capable enough at least for a few more years.

2. Hater

Hater Member

Got my D600!

OMFG what a chungus compared to film SLR's. No wonder mirrorless cameras are catching on so quick

metalrain likes this.
  3. metalrain

metalrain Member

For a FF DSLR, the D600 is pretty compact and light iirc. Had one a few years ago when I dipped my toes into the F-Mount, but wasn't for me so I offloaded it. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, especially considering the price and extended warranty due to the oil leak fiasco, but I had gone too far with the EF lenses to bother switching all over at the time

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Lol you havent live until you've hulked around a Dx or 1dx series body

5. Hater

Hater Member

I swapped out the gigantic seatbelt D600 strap for the svelte EM strap and that has helped quite a lot

6. Hater

Hater Member

Is there an app I can download for MacOS where I can go through a folder full of photos i've taken and delete all the trash ones? (I guess select all > delete would be way faster but hey maybe one was good)

Yeah I googled but it's hard to get beyond all the crapware with their purchased reviews etc.

7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Both Photo Mechanic and FastRawViewer are available on macOS. Both are good tools on Windows, though I can't speak to their mac versions.

8. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I would like an app/script that went through and auto-filtered based on shots with nothing showing contrast (i.e. all of my oof and motion-blurred ones). I'm sure there are well established and open-sourced scripts already to measure contrast in an image, it's probably not really that hard to make, if I only I could be stuffed.

9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

You just quoted a post from....11 years ago?

10. Athiril

Athiril Member

I dunno what happened I thought I opened the latest page :Paranoid: I have cabin fever

theSeekerr likes this.
  11. Xang

Xang Member

12. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Well, I eh... tripped over some 80s rolls I suppose... :leet:

[​IMG]

Grabbed them from Walkens; may give them a crack at processing also, come iso end.

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

14. Hater

Hater Member

Damn. Did a day of filing on Sunday with the original BMPCC... I forgot how beautiful the footage they produce is. They need a ton of light but if you give it to them it's just magic

15. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Sony released last night an la-ea5 adapter - which allows adaption of A-mount glass to E-mount bodies (inc screw drive)
    Now they've had that with other adapters, but not with the combo of PDAF for the screw bodies.
    Pretty random considering A-mount bodies/glass are dead and buried - some expect its so that they can announce that formally.

Am considering one provided they announce support for the A7iii, some nice vintage minolta AF glass out there

Deftone2k likes this.
  17. Athiril

Athiril Member

Its supposed to bring native level AF, eye AF, real time tracking etc, but not all the cameras. Also even for screw drive lenses. I wonder how well itll work with minolta glass.

18. Athiril

Athiril Member

Still in lockdown so Ive been writing a script to automate image stacking in Photoshop, as in you can take a large number of images, and set a min and max stack number, and itll divide the stacking up into groups, save the results, and then stack the results. Itll handle dividing up the images in subgroups, and stacking the results of subgroups until a final image is made, loading, auto-alignment, converting to a smart object, setting stack mode to median, rasterising and saving are all handled automatically without any user input so it can run autonomously when given a folder of images.

I always ran out of disk space stacking a large number of images, plus auto-align etc seems to get exponentially slower with more images, sometimes crash or hang photoshop too, sub-dividing stack groups help, but its so tedious, so this makes it easier.

19. Hater

Hater Member

My first SLR was a Sony A330, always used Minolta glass as it was better and cheaper at the time second hand

I thought it would have been cool if Sony kept the Minolta name for stills cameras and used Sony for the video ones, so you'd have the Minolta A7 and the Sony A7 rather than the A7S and A7R :D

20. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I started off with A-mount and eventually sold them off, and recently added E-mount back into my life.
    And just purchased a Minolta 300mm 2.8 :lol: