General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Xang

Xang Member

I've tested this before and was unable to recover with any number of recovery softwares.

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

doesnt surprise me given how long the format takes and probably also why they create a database each time (which from an IT perspective i'm not a fan of, too much complexity - just store the files!)

3. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I am a drone photographer mostly, i love my top downs! I do have a wicked Nikon but rarely touch it.
    The poor old DJI Spark is near end times, going to buy a new Mavic. One of the batteries is reading N/A percent but works, scary! those can be replaced but after years of abuse the gimble is broken, so i must manually adjust angle before flying with hand, not keen on doing that for much longer.
    So i am thinking if i can get a decent stream to the phone to keep and use, then sending it on a non returning kamikaze run, any ideas for cool footage? Into a bushfire? Into fireworks? Inside a wave barrel?
    I also don't want to pollute or cause a problem anywhere, so i think into a fire means nothing will be left, any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

You understand that fires don't just remove the things they burn from existence, right?

(EDIT: bloody forum is too clever for its own good...I pasted a YT link because the embeds don't support timecodes, and it just converted it to an embed and ate the timecode. Nevermind)

Nethiuz likes this.
  5. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Yes i understand, i need to find something then that will destroy the drone but be able to retrieve it and dispose of properly, thinking some floats then fly into a big ass wave.
    Problem is, no waves on any beach for about 800km. Actually, i do get to the outer reef often, plenty big ass barrels out there! but no way i'm swimming on the edge of the reef to retrieve anything.

6. Hater

Hater Member

my spark chassis is bent, still flies though... if yours is straight would you consider a chassis swap with mine? it's not hard to do. then my bent chassis can go into your fire of doom.

7. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Why don't you donate it to someone who would find use of it, or a school/teacher who can use it with their students.

8. Hater

Hater Member

Anyone use a Ronin on an unsupported camera?

S and SC's are getting cheap because of the new ones that are coming out but i'm firmly stuck with my (original) BMPCC as... well. I like using it.

Just keen to know if it just works like a normal gimbal otherwise?

9. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Final round of shoots this weekend with my good partner the A7II. Has served me to the tune of 72K+ clicks over 5+ years. I am also selling off all my FE glass. Going to take a break from shooting and wait for some good Boxing Day specials.

BUT .. at this stage I like the idea of downgrading/downsizing to an A6400, Sigma 30/1.4 and 56/1.4 for under two big bucks. I get to keep the same batteries and external chargers. Smaller weight and size, save some money, and get the principal upgrade for me - eye AF

10. Xang

Xang Member

For $2k you could buy a used (or if you wait for a sale, new) A7iii which is vastly superior to the A7ii or A6400.

Deftone2k likes this.
  11. metalrain

metalrain Member

[​IMG]
    Just recently announced Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM is physically about the same size as the older EF version, but without the adapter, it's so much smoller and tinier in practical terms. I think it's a bit overpriced now though, considering you can probably get half a dozen of the older lenses for the same price as it is right now. Still, would be keen to add another nifty fifty in my collection lol

12. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

As a gimbal, it will work just fine. The only thing the supported cameras have is you can press record on the gimbal itself. But there is nothing stopping you from just pressing record on the camera. 90% of the time this is how I work as I forget to connect the camera to the gimbal.

13. Hater

Hater Member

Anyone know if you can buy Ronin parts separately? (I need the spacer to mount the focus motor too, bought a second hand SC and of course bits are missing :rolleyes: )

DJI hotline says email them, so I did. But y'know. Waiting sucks.

Edit: ahh found a niceyrig alternative. sorted.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020