General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I've got an X-T3 and I do have fairly large hands, the default ergonomics from a grip point of view aren't that good. I bought the Smallrig L-plate that also includes the extra grip on the front and it makes it so much nicer to handhold, feels way more secure.

holdennutta likes this.
  2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

thank you! I will investigate that immediately.

Ordered

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  3. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

I felt much the same; I also wasn't particularly impressed with eye AF and the touted in-camera jpeg processing (which I wanted, to minimise workflow/avoid pp for everyday shooting) slows the camera down too much during image storing, particularly with the clarity setting dialled up on some of my fav presets.

Having said that, eventhough I shoot both jpeg and raw, I always tend to pp images I really like in COE, and they scrub up very nicely indeed; but so do my EM1 raws in DXOPL...

Much like our Toyota Kluger interior, the camera scuffs very easily; in comparison my 6 year old EM1, which still looks brand new, my 6 month old XT4 already has some minor but annoying scuffs from much less, very standard, use.

My current feeling is that it doesn't feel like, operate or produce the quality expected of a premium product at its price level. While I expected to find the happy medium between MFT and Nikon FX and streamline (downsize) my kit, I am still keeping all three systems 6 months on, convincing myself that I haven't given the Fuji a proper run to make the call.

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

agreed on the grip, it never leaves my xt3
    I preferred the feel of the xt3 over the xt4 (plus the screen)

RE price, its about on par (when on sale) with what i'd expect given its feature set vs FF contemporaries which are far more expensive.

Personally i only use primes on mine (though used to have the 50-140 and recently re-purchased the 100-400) which means that the sensor gets more light so my AF experience may differ to yours.

5. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

I am waiting for a basic inexpensive stills oriented full-frame body positioned against the Z5 and RP. I'd prefer to stick to Sony due to 3rd party lens options. If I can spend $1500 on a body and then add a Tamron 28-75 and Samyang 85/1.4, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Right now I am still stuck with the same beat-up A7II with 190K miles on it (not 80K as originally thought). Last weekend I rented the FE Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8. Nice lens. Handles very well for a zoom. Has a mixed reputation unfortunately. This weekend I have the 24-70 GM, and although I haven't mounted it on to the camera yet, it's clear I will be very aware of the heft/weight at all times.

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

A73's are going second hand for not much more than $1500 (and often get down to around $2k with cashback brand new) so you are pretty much there. The Tamron 28-75 is great.

I use the Sony 24-70GM a LOT and it's worth the weight/heft of it. Stunning lens which performs so well for what it is. Especially when it comes to sharpness, AF performance and distortion.

I found using it the balance is fine as coming from DSLR's I have noticed how great it is having a generally lighter kit, but also you just fall into easily managing each lens/use.

Psyentist likes this.
  7. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I honestly don't use the tracking AF very much in terms of moving objects as I shoot non-moving landscapes for the most part. But I did find a bird and wombat that I shot photos and video of in amongst some trees with the 55-200mm lens at the long end (so not exactly a bright aperture) and I was surprised that it kept nailing focus on the bird/wombat in amongst tree branches - whereas I've tried similar things with Nikon cameras in the past and all of them all pick out the leaves/branches first instead of the animal/bird.

There are elements that I like but it also does feel to an extent that it is still built to a price point too, one thing that does play into that is the weight - I mean something heavier does at times feel more expensive just because of the extra weight. Being fair, all of the Nikon DSLRs I've had in the last 10-15 years have been higher end ones, so cost a fair whack more (I paid about $1700 for my XT-3 with a cashback offer), whereas the cheapest of the Nikons would be the D750 I had, which was around $500 more.

I will say that the weight saving is a constant reminder of why I went with the Fuji though. That said, I do at times yearn for more megapixels, I might at some point might be convinced to crossover to a Nikon mirrorless camera, but they just don't excite me that much right now.

8. Xang

Xang Member

For 60g more than an X-T4, you can have an A7R IV with industry-leading AF and 61MP.

Fuji make great cameras but I never understand why people choose them to save weight.

9. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

You're forgetting the weight of lenses as well in the weight discussion. Besides, a X-T4 is $2200 for the body and an A7R IV is $4000+ for the body? Its not really a fair comparison either.

I do think I'll end up with an FF mirrorless camera in the future as the weight is less than traditional DSLRs, and given the competition that is finally happening after Nikon and Canon have both woken up due to Sony getting such a head start, it'll be interesting to see where things go.

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah the fuji bodies are seriously cheap for what you're getting, especially if you do a cashback + 20% off sale.
    I saw XT3's at $1300 brand new a while back.

The lenses are a fair point, but it depends what you're comparing.
    56mm 1.2 fuji is pretty much identical to the 85mm 1.8 sony (but the fuji is nicer built)

I've tried Sony (Great AF, awful ergos, iffy image quality unless uncompressed), Fuji (Great fun/looks, lovely images, iffy AF/high ISO), Nikon (Great ergos, great image quality, AF iffy) and about to get an R6 to try so i'll have covered the full gamut soon :lol:

11. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

With some more fiddling I'm slowly getting the thing a bit more workable. Definitely never going to be as operable as the G9 was with all it's buttons in the right spots.
    One thing I was surprised with was the continuous AF tracking being completely unable to stick to a plane with clouds in the background. Sticks to the clouds 100% of the time. I've already seen my first foliage worms in Lightroom Classic too haha.

12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I honestly so rarely use tracking (except for face/eye AF) - zone gives me best hit rate

holdennutta likes this.
  13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I read a review on xt4 and bird photography (afterimage bought the camera heh) and they had the same conclusion. Use zone. I shall adapt!

14. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Interestingly I think grip vs no smallrig grip on the X-T4 with the 16-55mm 2.8 actually comes out in the no grip's favour!

I find it better to hold camera by supporting the weight with my left hand on the lens mount area and right hand can sort of just move about the RHS of the body and find the controls. With the grip the front/top controls are actually more difficult to reach.
    This is a change from my previous cameras where I could take most of the weight on the right hand with the big grip area.

That said for $37 the smallrig grip is pretty impressive quality. Nice little screwdriver magnetically attached to the base so you can detach the grip etc.

I just wanna go take some photos though! I can't seem to get out of the house or out of work these days.

15. Xang

Xang Member

I'm aware there is a cost difference. I was talking about weight only. That said, A7iii's have been down to $2000 so not much of a difference there.

Can't see a difference in lens weight for equivalents either. Sony make a 28/2, 35/1.8, 55/1.8 and 85/1.8 which are all very compact and light.

Deftone2k likes this.
  16. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

is there any differences between a upload_2021-2-11_11-35-59.png shaped lens hood, and a upload_2021-2-11_11-35-38.png lens hood?

17. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

The petal-shaped hood shades a little bit better...it's a deeper lens hood, but with cut-outs to avoid being visible in the corners of the image. The straight-edge hood is just shallow all the way around.

supasaiyan likes this.
  18. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

And a petal-shaped hood is a no-go on a lens with a rotating front-element (generally).

19. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Bayonet hood mounts are usually not attached to the front element, typically there is a recessed bayonet mount, this way the hood stays static while the lens moves in and out.

die_piggy likes this.
  20. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

It's not too bad. I'd still prefer something a bit lighter though. The rumoured Sigma 28-75 sounds very interesting! Hopefully the price and heft are reasonable. I'm a huge fan of the Art lenses when it comes to build quality. My one and only Tamron lens fell apart after a 15cm drop onto carpet, the 24-70 VC for Canon; cost $500 to repair.