1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I mentioned similar to holdennutta the other day with my RP. I find it just can't nail it's AF and hunts for wayyyy to long at times. I still am yet to figre out how to actually manually focus on it either...

2. metalrain

metalrain Member

You can turn on focus peaking + the AF assist if you are shooting with a compatible glass. Makes manually focusing much easier. The low-light AF performance though is an issue with most mirrorless cameras from my experience. Even tested out a Sony a7S Mark III (with native glass too) and that one still had issues with AF. Just going to stick with something I know works well and right now, is the most cost effective.

3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I'll check for those settings, thank you. I haven't had much time to search and play but I do miss the focus ring on the RF glass. Otherwise very lovely piece of kit and no doubt it's largely the typical teething issues.

4. metalrain

metalrain Member

Which lens are you using? You can change the option on what the control ring does on these RF lenses. And when you switch to MF mode, the ring should be set to MF by default (I think) anyway.

5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I've only got the RF 24-105mm F/4-7.1 and all my others are EF mounts with the RF adaptor - those ones I havent played with much either yet.

The default focus with control ring I couldn't really get to work often either. Perhaps it's more user error on not having the right other settings etc. Now bc I couldn't figure it out i've got the control ring to ISO setting instead, servo focus, then the other 2 dials do shutter and aperature. It worked out the best kinda setup for me so far but i'll fiddle with changing it back to focus etc

6. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

RP should be rated down to -5EV for its sensitivty of AF, but dont recall what speed lens that was with, the R6 does an additiona 1.5EV so would be better,
    I havent had any issues as yet but only shot it with F1.4 glass.

7. metalrain

metalrain Member

I was shooting with the 35mm and 50mm f/1.8 lenses wide open even with a couple of different Speedlites with AF assist on the R6 and R5 and I was still getting a hesitation that I wasn't getting with the 6D. I was confused, perhaps there were some settings I hadn't sussed over, but the owner assured me he had it set up. He noticed the hesitation as well.

EDIT: Those 35mm and 50mm were both in RF and EF mounts adapted and they performed about the same as each other. A slight split-second hesitation from pressing the shutter button before the camera taking a snap or burst.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  8. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

That sounds more like shutter lag than the AF
    Tried setting it to release priority rather than autofocus?

9. metalrain

metalrain Member

Going to be working with that mate next weekend at the same nightclub so that's something I'll try. Cheers!

10. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Absolute dummy question here...

I left my Nikon D810 without a battery in it for a while and didn't think about the ramifications of this when shooting with it last night. Now I have a bunch of shots with a date in 2014 (release date of the camera?) in their EXIF which totally stuffs my usual file management. Has anyone got any tips for bulk changing EXIF of NEF files on Windows 10? I just need to change the date so that they end up in the right spot in Lightroom, time isn't critical for these.

Tried using this but I'm too dumb to figure it out: https://exiftool.org/

Deftone2k likes this.
  11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

You can do it in Lightroom...

Just import, then select the images and edit capture time to current date.

https://petapixel.com/2016/01/26/how-to-sync-two-or-more-cameras-using-a-nifty-trick-and-lightroom/

https://christarenephotography.com/...le-cameras-editing-capture-time-in-lightroom/

12. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Ah sweet thanks. I was a bit worried about messing up my currently catalogue (I’m still using yearly catalogues for better or worse...) but I guess I’ll just have a random 2014 folder til I fix it.

13. Deftone2k

Can always just rename the folder I guess but yeah I would just do it in LR :)

14. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I've had similar and have just moved the files to a new folder in the right year named with the correct date, then forced a resync on the correct year folder. It's not elegant, but it works

15. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

For those that yearn for having a compact Gitzo tripod, this seems like a pretty good deal:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gitzo-legende-tripod-and-backpack

The tripod with a ballhead for $681AU is a really good deal in my opinion. I'd be all over that if I didn't already have a GT2541, which cost me more than that for just the legs a few years ago now.

Deftone2k likes this.
  16. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

Heading to Sydney next week for a couple of days for work but expect to have some time shoot landscapes, any suggestions aside from the usual harbour bridge and opera house?

17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Head out to the blue mountains
    Botanic gardens

The_Stig likes this.
  18. metalrain

metalrain Member

Might get some interesting landscape shots at Kings Cross at 4am :lol:

19. Deftone2k

Depends what floats your boat...

Do you have a car? If you do you can do heaps.. if you don't well..

Few things you can access via public transport (mostly ferries + walking)

South Head/Watsons Bay/Camp Cove.
    Cockatoo Island.
    Manly (Get the ferry over and then you can go Shelly Beach/Walk up and around North Head or visit the Q Station).
    Bondi -> Bronte Walk. (Bus to Bronte/Coogee/Bondi and start from either end.. do the return or one way and public transport back).
    Mahon Pool at Maroubra + Coastal Cliffs (Bus to Maroubra)

The_Stig likes this.
  20. Hater

Hater Member

Had my first equipment failure I think...

Updated firmware on the Ronin-SC (it's been bugging me for months) and now... it won't start up. Just does a connect/disconnect loop.

Occasionally it'll work for 3 seconds or so, and then be unresponsive. Error logged in the app is "No signal from Pan ESC" but then why does it work now and then? and it's always 3 seconds or so...

Grrr.