1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General Photography Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by csimpson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

A 2nd hand 5D3 would serve you really well in that case! It's a great all rounder and can be had really cheap given a lot are converting over to mirrorless

2. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

I have a 6dmkii and a 750d. the 6d is lightyears better

3. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I could only afford a second hand 6D or a 5D MkII around the $500- 650 mark of which there are quite a few good looking ones.

4. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

So does anyone have any current thoughts on monitors when the main usage is a mix of photo editing and a bit of gaming on the side? Aside from specific models of monitor, thoughts on resolution as well - I currently have a 2k (1440p) resolution monitor, I don't want to go a smaller resolution, but is 4K really that much of a difference on something that is likely to be 27-28 inches in size?

5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I use a LG 27GL850B (I think) 1440p and calibrate it with one of those datacolour things. I've only printed once but it looked just like I expected...

Frozen_Hell likes this.
  6. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Go the 6D then. The 5D2, while still good it doesn't perform anywhere near the same as the 6D for high ISO performance. Just be aware that the 6D has only11 AF points, with only 1 cross-type (middle AF point), so that may take a little getting used to compared to the 750D's 19 all cross-type AF points. I did a lot of focus-and-recompose, so it didn't bother me at all.

7. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

To me its sort of a debate between sticking with a 1440p monitor and getting a higher quality colour capability (higher gamut), or choosing a 4k monitor that will be not as good in terms of colour gamut/representation, without spending well in excess of $1000 on a monitor anyway.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with the monitor I have at the moment, the main reason is because I work in IT and work-from-home/remote permanently now and want to split my home desktop setup and my work laptop setup entirely (I currently share monitor/keyboard/mouse with a KVM switch - on the same desk). So it means I'll take my personal desktop etc. out of my work study, and then end of the day shut the door and work is over from a mental disconnect point of view, and I don't feel like I'm going back to work if I want to use my desktop PC for stuff in the same room I've been all day working.

8. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

If I was buying now I would be looking at the Dell 27" again (had mine for over 10 years and its great but finally has backlight bleed where I don't want it) or the BenQ colour accurate series range.

Frozen_Hell likes this.
  9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

I use 2x 4k monitors for general use and photo editing (some gaming now and again) but they are both 60hz panels
    Personally i love editing on 4k, more room for activities

Frozen_Hell likes this.
  10. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Which Dell 27"? The U2710/U2711? I had a U2410 for ages, so I do like the Dell monitors myself.

11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Frozen_Hell likes this.
  12. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Yeah, the dells are great.

I'm now using an Alienware 4K UW as it's got high DCIP3 and sick hz for them games.

Prior to that i was dual screening an X34 and a 4K LG 32UD99 and it was great. Gave that to the wife for WFH now lol. But they've unfortunately gone up in price it seems as EOL, where as they dropped in the arse after I bought and were an absolute steal...I wonder if their replacement is as good (havent found what it is yet).

4K is amazing. After I had lasik however i've had issues with backlighting and small text, hence needing a larger monitor than i was on overall. You can fit heaps on them.

Frozen_Hell likes this.
  13. pelmen

pelmen Member

+1 on the Dell U…. Monitors. They last well and have great colour accuracy from the factory which is perfect for all types of graphics/photography use without needing regular calibration.I’m not a gamer but the few I do play are fine on the Dells. Technically every monitor does photography and games so be honest with yourself, what WILL be the primary use not your dream use. Photography /graphics you MUST get a monitor with great colour gamut, otherwise get a gaming monitor for speed. The all have on paper pretty much the same specs and performance but over time you’ll be happier with a gaming monitor if you game mostly anda decent business monitor for productivity. If you really do both 50/50 of the time then anything in budget would work out. Ideally though you have a gaming PC for only gaming and a serious productivity machine for productivity stuff. Also depends if you “upgrade” often and if chasing brand names matters to you.I used to use several Dell U series where I worked and have had my own at home for over 10 years. Very good on the eyes (both readability and strain). Lighting is clean an even across the entire screen. Currently have a thirty something inch curved U series which is awesome, I do a lot of photography/astrophotography work with it and windows/boxes on screen are very square to my eyes anywhere across the curved screen. I’m using Quadro gfx card and dont game with this machine.

Frozen_Hell likes this.