General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

1. crag_v

crag_v Member

I wouldn't be even trying to fit a swollen lipo into a model. I'd be putting it outside away from flammable things and connecting it to something that would drain it like a cheap pc case fan. Run it flat then dispose of safely.

Of course the Max Power way involves boots, goggles, gloves and a shovel with swift downward movement (YouTube for bonus points). Either way, once it puffs, it's done.

2. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Generally accepted way is a bucket of salt water:thumbup:

Then after a week or so throw in the bin:leet:

I remember the change from NiMh to LiPo, i thought all my christmas's had come at once, mind you a lot of people back then thought if you turned ya back on them, they would burn ya house down and kick ya in the nuts:lol:

Mainly the longer run times though, good 4200 matched NiMh rocked:leet:

3. crag_v

crag_v Member

This is imperfect as you don't know whether all cells are depleted, it is slow, and if something corrodes without you being able to get to all cells, you now have a pack that you're unsure about. Not such a big deal for 2S batteries, but what about 4S and bigger? Still, I've not tested it and should try it with a charged battery to see what happens after a week. Hrm.

4. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

pretty much this all over. Ive only ever had one swollen pack (gens ace 2s 5000mah 40C pack, arrived swollen), drained it with a lightglobe outside well away from anything flammable.

lipos are so cheap these days there is no need to even consider running a damaged pack.

(btw, hobbypartz were great, i sent them a video of the swollen pack, they sent me a new one free of charge)

5. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Been done this way all over the world for years, it IS the acceptable way to make a swelled\damaged LiPo safe.

All the cells will be drained it will not matter how many s the pack is, last time i looked a bucket of salt water, wont start at the first cell and continue on in the correct order:p

You can try and change how it is done, but the above works and works well, no mess no fuss, and it's not like if you forget about it they will suddenly start looting your shed:Paranoid::lol:

6. crag_v

crag_v Member

Extra cells in a lipo increases the complexity of the battery. If corrosion has not permeated the entire battery and you throw it in a bin after a week, it is decidedly more difficult to test and confirm that a 6s is empty than it is for a 2s. The accepted way is not always the best.

No argument from me that a salt water soak is a good way to go though, please do not misinterpret my post. I'm simply suggesting there may be more thorough and measured ways to safely dispose of a lipo battery, especially one with a relatively high nominal voltage. Open discussion rather than blindly accepting the 'done thing', if you will. Cheers.

7. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

8. spedwards

spedwards Member

Interesting read, I didn't get all the way through but I think I've gleaned enough info to dispose Lipos safely. Previously I've just used the salt bath method however I have slit the cell pack first.

The problem I would have with the discharge and soak method is that all the packs I've had to "fix" have had no easy way to discharge. They were damaged by an incorrectly built XT60 > TRX connector which shorted and burnt through one of the tabs. Any ideas on the best way to sort those cells out?

9. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Not really:lol:

It shows some fool forgot about a pack over a few months and got shocked that the aluminium corroded away:Paranoid:

Or that if you connect a + and - directly to a peice of aluminum you can it to corrode quickly:rolleyes:.

Eltoroplaters have known this for a VERY long time:lol:, do the same test with the wires not actually connected to each other and see how long it takes:p

I always smile when a flyer puts up FACTS, more so when it is from years ago, as years ago the only people having trouble with their sheds\house burning down was the flyers:leet:

Each to there own though, but don't take some half arsed photos as proof:thumbup:

10. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

i probably should have argument as opposed to evidence. food for thought anyway.

point is, if you have a damaged/puffed battery, dont risk it. discharge it any way you deem safe well away from anything remotely flammable and valuable, then toss it. even with modern advancements in lipo technology, they still hold huge amounts of energy and can do serious damage if they go pop.

11. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

That is true, do what ya happy\comfortable doing as far as LiPo's go:thumbup:

I don't use Salt water, i prefer the blow up method myself:lol:

12. arc87

arc87 Member

So my rally finally turned up wednesday last week after a rather long wait in customs.
    [​IMG]

Took it out friday arvo after work to a dirt track near home went pretty good in the dry dirt but after saturdays rain it was time to go back and see how she really went
    [​IMG]

Bottoms out abit going over jumps so Ive gone and brought a slash body and some mounts and front and rear bars so I should see it less flipping over. here's a pic of the body spray progress I was in abit of a hurry and didnt allow the orange full drying time so you can see part of the black from around the windows has gone into the orange :(
    [​IMG]

13. lupin

lupin Member

We have caravan racing on this weekend. Should be a bit of fun.

[​IMG]

14. ausdave

ausdave Member

ok so it seems ive now got a functional blitz.

turns out the battery i was sold is a dud, and I was also told never to use rechargeable AA's in my controller (was using Sanyo Eneloops)

took the car out for a quick 15 min bash with a new battery and im as happy as Larry (wherever he is).

I don't think the battery was fully drained when I stopped, should I keep going until nothing happens? or will that damage the motor?

EDIT:

BTW Lupin thats sick, did you custom build the caravan?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  15. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Ausdave, you should NEVER leave a battery with half a charge.......

Means ya cut short your fun:lol:

Serious now, it wont do a thing to the battery, i leave packs chraged all the time, yes LiPos too:weirdo:

Not running AA's in a controller is a new one on me:Paranoid:, there is a slight differance between the votage .3v per cell, but i doubt thats an issue, i still run my MT4 on AA's:(:thumbup:

16. ausdave

ausdave Member

lol it was down the the point it was sluggish and wasn't doing much.

the controller is now running on standard off the shelf alkaline AA's, I was told that it's rechargeable NiMH AA's that screw with it somehow.

also can anyone recommend a good charger that is suitable for NiMH and LiPO? without breaking the bank.

17. spedwards

spedwards Member

I run all of my TX on rechargeable AAs, everything from dodgy DSE brand to eneloops.

Are you sure that the cells you were running were fully charged when you started?

18. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

From what I remember, rechargeables are 1.2v and normal are 1.25v or something similar.

Charger, iMAX B6 or clone off eBay. Around $30 inc post.

19. mtma

mtma Member

Rechargeable AA's should be fine, only with the regular ni-cd or ni-mh cells don't store the cells in the radio because they can leak and die if left for a period of time. The low discharge cells like Eneloop shouldn't have this problem.

Rechargeable LiPo's can be a problem though - because depending on the radio the extra voltage of some packs will be too much for the radio.

But I suppose there could be some incompatibility with your specific radio and rechargeable cells in general though, I don't know.

20. Reaper

Reaper Member

Being an AM radio, (it's not a 2.4ghz guys!), yes, you'll need the higher voltage to drive the signal. Alkalines are 1.6Volts fresh btw. I suggest to buy them from aldi. A complete set of the blue batteries will only cost you $5 for 8.