General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

1. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

I never really thought much about the c ratings. I thought that all batteries of the same cell count would perform roughly the same. Would something like this work alright do you think: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...00mAh_3S_45_90C_Lipo_Pack_AUS_Warehouse_.html

2. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

so long as it fits. get the biggest capacity with the highest c rating that will fit in the vehicle. the reason i linked the first one is because its a direct fit for traxxas 1/16 scale vehicles.

and in no way are all batteries equal.

3. spedwards

spedwards Member

Another option with batteries in the 1/16 Traxxas chassis is to run two in parallel, this will double the amps available to the system.

eg. 1400 3S 40C/80C = 56A/112A
    2 x 1400 3S 40C/80C = 112A/224A

When you're looking at 1400mAh batteries your run time will suffer, two batteries will effectively double the time before changing them over.

4. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

This will change the handling big time. :(

5. spedwards

spedwards Member

That is also true, I found that it is a change for the better though. As the motor is mounted pretty much on centre a single battery puts things off-balance, particularly noticeable in the air.

However, as this is a modified car the balance is likely to be very difference to stock.

6. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

I'm just going off my Slash. But it has a 540 brushless conversion. Damn thing flips/rolls every corner and the suspension is too soft (even with the hardest springs). Feels just as heavy as a 1/10 2WD SCT. :lol:

7. Oniell.au

Oniell.au Member

Just a quick question to the RC Community.

I live in a hilly area next door to a national park and am looking for an RC Electric Offroad Car. This would be my first RC Car, any suggestions for a beginners car that can take some hard knocks in the national park.

My budget is $500, I've been looking at the 1/10 Traxxas Bandit

8. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

so your $500 has to include absolutely everything, car, radio, batteries, charger etc?

interested in building a kit, or are you more after ready to run?

assuming that the majority of runtime will be on grass?

wouldnt recommend the bandit, its a 2wd 1/10 buggy, they have a very hard time on even the shortest grass.

9. Oniell.au

Oniell.au Member

Yeah preferred it included it all for that price, and yes, id say 50/50 on short grass and dirt

I wouldn't mind building one, so when things break down I have a vague understanding of it all

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  10. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

any chance of setting the budget just slightly higher?

the Thunder Tiger ST-4 G3 (truggy) and Thunder Tiger MT-4 G3 (monster truck) are getting rave reviews, but once you add batteries and a charger you might be slightly over budget.

http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_795&products_id=68891

if not, the ofna lx2e rtr can be had for $349 from amain or tower, once you use a coupon it pretty much covers the postage, grab yourself a couple zippy flightmax 5000mah 30c 4s batteries from hobbyking for $37.50 each, a charger of your liking, a new servo (the stock one is total garbage) and you're set.

any of the above will make the traxxas bandit look silly.

11. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

Thanks for the help guys. The car is modified and the wheels come out a fair bit more than stock.
    Would this mean 6s power through the motor? The esc can handle that but wouldn't that burn out the motor instantly?

12. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

parallel, not series.

would be 3s2p, giving you 2800mah 40C

13. Oniell.au

Oniell.au Member

Cheers, wandered down to the local RC shop in my travels and they have the Traxxas Rustler VXL Brushless in a kit with everyone except recharger for $449....is that comparable or am i better of going that extra $100 for your recommendation?

14. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

not comparable in any way shape or form. that is rather expensive too.

traxxas rustler is a stadium truck, so 1/10 scale and 2wd.

the cars i was talking about are 1/8 truggys and buggys, both are 4wd.

if you like the idea of 1/10 stadium truck, look at the associated t4/t4.1, durango dest210 and losi 22t, all are fantastic stadium trucks (i personally race an associated t4)

you'll find that most 1/10 stuff is better on very very short grass or smooth-ish dirt/gravel. 1/8 is the way to go for some proper all terrain bashing. all personal preference/experience of course, and im sure many people will chip in with different opinions. if its your first car, 1/8 scale is probably better as they tend to be much more durable than 1/10 scale also.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  15. crag_v

crag_v Member

The stampede 4x4 VXL is now $349 at Tower Hobbies. Combine that with an email discount code and you'll have it for under $400 shipped. Spend your change on the few bits it needs to survive a beating (alu shock caps, tekno wheelie bar) and grab a pair of nanotech 5.8A 2S hard pack LiPOs from hobbyking and you'll be set. Or just run it stock til you break something, like my little brother did on the weekend with his birthday pressie :)

[​IMG]

To clarify, we've bashed the snot out of it over 4 battery packs and he's only popped a plastic shock cap. Alu replacements are in the mail, but in the meantime a dab of super glue kept them from popping off again after those hard 7 foot landings :p

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  16. zoukis

zoukis Member

heres a couple of my rc's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the truggy is a Team Magic E6 Trooper and i have a sakura cs d3 and a sakura zero s

17. BigandY

BigandY Member

Kind of. The C rating is the maximum safe discharge speed. 1400mAh @ 20C should only be discharged at 28amps constant (1.4x20). It will probably do 30 or 35C burst but even then, that's not even 50amps burst.

Trouble arises when you try to draw more than the maximum current from a battery. It will supply more than the rated current - possibly a lot more - but will be extremely unsafe. Trouble, such as puffing, leaking or fire. When LiPos leak, they generally catch fire. You and/or your uncle were extremely lucky.

Like any circuit (electrical or otherwise) - trying to carry more through it than it's capable of and you're going to fuck something.

18. crag_v

crag_v Member

19. MatterHorn

MatterHorn Member

Haha RC truck in the nuts wouldn't be fun :lol:

I've got more into RC planes of late (sold my Savage Flux HP). Picked up a Super Cub LP from my LHS and after a while upgraded it to brushless outrunner for more power :weirdo:

Also just bought an EDF jet from HobbyKing that is coming today :leet: Stuff is so cheap these days - got the PNF jet for $120 delivered. Already have a Rx and batteries for it so I'll glue on the wings and get out there hopefully tonight.

20. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

may have just bought an ofna nexx 10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

came with:
    lrp SPHERE Competition TC-Spec esc
    novak ballistic 4.5t 550 motor
    hitec metal gear servo
    delrin shock towers
    front and rear cva's
    strc chassis braces
    alloy steering bellcrank
    carbon fibre top plate and diff brace
    custom laydown battery strap
    tbone front bumper (and rear, but not installed)
    de racing rear skid
    1 full set of fairly worn calibers
    1 full set of near new calibers
    1 full set of near new street fighters

and heaps of spares (arms, pillow balls, springs etc) and other things im probably forgetting

was thinking about it for ages, but didnt really have any need for yet another car. found out yesterday though that my local club (gomcc) is hosting the AARCMCC 2013 tasmanian titles, so I needed to get myself a roar approved esc for my sc10. just so happens that this car has one, so thought i might as well buy the whole thing ;) (plus it was crazy cheap)