General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

1. powella

powella Member

I though it would share a photo of my R/C Equipment and Haulage gear: [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Ap

2. electro rc

electro rc Member

Are the earth movers RC too? Very nice collection, wish I had suitable terrain for trucks...

3. powella

powella Member

4. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

NICE :D

If you feel like scaling with someone else give me a yell. My SCX10 would be the last RC anything I'd get rid of. Love it to death.

Actually, got a mate coming up this weekend with his too, if you were keen for a run on saturday afternoon or something.

5. electro rc

electro rc Member

Good to know and will do, it's a bit boring driving around my back yard 10 times in a row haha. Would've taken up your offer but I'll be in Brisbane for the next week :/.

In other news, I'm just about to order my alloy links for the SCX. No more bendy spaghetti links... Who ever thought plastic links on a rock crawler was a good idea needs to be shot!
    Cheers,

6. iodine

iodine Member

Looks great.

I just sold my Traxxas E-Revo brushless, as I was sick of running at extreme speed on 6S LiPo, just gets boring.

Always wanted an Axial SCX10 rock crawler, so going to purchase an Axial SCX10 RTR w/ Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Casey Currie edition.

What battery should I buy for it? I was thinking a 4200MAH NIMH, but I believe the ESC can do LiPo, however not 100%.

Any recommendations? I already have a charger that I kept from my old r/c that can charge anything including LiPo's.

Thanks

7. Juggs

Juggs Member

bought the son and i a revell dromida car each the truck for him and the buggy for me

we have a bmx track near by so been using them down there, fun little things

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  8. electro rc

electro rc Member

You can run 2s LiPo straight up. If you get an external BEC you can run a 3s LiPo (what I run in mine). Make sure whatever model you get has the AE-2 ESC though as the AE-1 can be dodgy on 3s LiPo and the AE-5 is not very well received at all from what I've seen. And the AE-2 is a rebadged castle creations unit so there's that..
    Cheers,

9. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

I run either 1000mah 3s packs or 1300mah 2s packs in my rc4wd bully with dual 55t motors, and will run 1300mah 2s packs in my gmade sawback with a 35t motor.

no point lugging around big heavy packs up high, further raising the centre of gravity when there is no need to. small packs are cheap and for long runs you can just stick a couple extra in your pocket.

10. electro rc

electro rc Member

Please don't carry LiPo packs in your pocket... Have you ever seen a LiPo fireball?? I hope you at least carry them in a LiPo safe bag.

Also, LiPo pack size really doesn't matter all that much. A 3000mAH 3s is tiny. I'd rather have a tiny bit more weight with a 3AH and not have to carry 3 1AH batteries, but that's just my opinion, and everyone is different. And remember that almost any LiPo is lighter than an NIMH. Also remember that the SCX10 are scalers, not comp trucks, so a the difference between a tiny battery and normal/big battery isn't going to make much difference for the intended use (ie. Trail runs, bogged up tracks, moderate crawling, etc. basically scaled down versions of what you'd take a full sized 4by on). They're not an AX10 after all ;).
    Cheers,

11. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

I charge in a lipo bag, but have no worries carrying them. lipos when not in use are quite safe.

the sawback is far more scale than an scx10 as its leaf sprung, not coil over with links.

[​IMG]

Get a chassis servo mount kit and a hard body and its ready to compete in a fully fleged class 2 event. Small batteries are much easier to hide under the body, as you aren't allowed any exposed wiring in proper scale events.

12. iodine

iodine Member

Wish I didn't sell my castle creation program cable with my E-Revo, as I suspect I could of used it on the new unit.

I think I have settled on a Axial SCX10 RTR w/ Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Casey Currie and it comes with the AE-2 ESC.

I am looking for good run times, not loads of speed. I see some serious mods around, so I suspect I am going to be buying more bits.

I might even buy a kit on the next car purchase and give a build a go.

Thanks for the reply. Very excited to get something new, and ignite that passion for tinkering again with R/C.

Post pics once I get it, not sure if I will be able to head to the hobby shop tomorrow morning or not.

13. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

first thing you'll need to do is upgrade from the rubbish spaghetti plastic links for the chassis and steering. Its insane just how much they flex.

14. iodine

iodine Member

Yeah, I am looking around to determine what brand of upgrade to buy, these will come in the next few months once I have researched it enough. To know what I need to get.

15. electro rc

electro rc Member

I just bought 4 metres of 6mm aluminium rod to make links for my SCX. I could turn out a few extra links (without rod ends) for you at a very low price. PM if you're interested.

16. iodine

iodine Member

I'll keep this in mind, I got the truck today. Just waiting on the NIMH 5000mah to charge so I can have a go.

So you bought the tube bare and you cut it and thread the ends for the rod ends? Sounds like a good way to do it when you need to make a few.

Mods wise, I think I will work to upgrade all those rods and rod ends and the steering linkage too. Its pretty s*(t when its plastic.

EDIT: Love it, so awesome. Completely different style of driving and its about trying to do things where the truck needs to climb and not flip.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  17. electro rc

electro rc Member

Basically yeah, it's solid though so pretty much cut, drill then tap. I'd i had a lathe I could turn down the ends and die them to screw straight into the ends but drill and tap is just as good on RCs. Wait until the rear axle mates up with your tranny skid plate, then you'll see why everyone curses plastic ;).

DIY links works out a bit more pricy than premade axial links but they're stronger and more customisable for different wheel bases and clear emcee links, etc. and then you still have material left to make more links if you happen to have a big fall and bend them.

As for steering, a bit if shaped scrap metal works in a bind. Don't be shocked when you're wheels point inwards together haha.
    Cheers,

18. iodine

iodine Member

I feel as though my front wheels point a little outwards, or it's just me. But it certainly looks like they do.

Funny how the tyres get flat spots from being in the box for so long. Anyways, bit of use and it will come good, will store it on a tin so the weight of the car is not sitting on the tyres when not in use.

Guess I need to save up some cash for mods. In the meantime no need to fly around at full speed. Take it easy in the meantime.

I am sure I will be back asking questions. This rock crawling and SCX10 stuff is all new to me.

19. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Had a busy morning.

Gmade sawback arrived so gave that the once over, installed a new 35t motor, redid some wiring and put receiver in and all that jazz

Hobbyking order also arrived, new servo for my bully (trackstar ts-910), new servo for my nexx10sc (turnigy 1258tg), parallel charge board and light kit.

Bully was borrowing the hitec 7955tg out of my rc8t, so that went back where it belonged too. Forgot how fast it is on 5s.

Also got a light kit which is going to go into the sawback, might have a go at that later today.

Need to make up some anti wrap links for the sawback too so I can run lighter leafs without twisting them. apparently revo pushrods are the right length.

[​IMG]

20. iodine

iodine Member

Nice trucks.

I got some stuff from HobbyKing too, still waiting on another order to come. I need to fix up my sons HobbyKing Beatle, looks like read diff has an issue and I needed a new ESC for a SCT Stadium Truck I have had only run 3 times, where the ESC died. So just waiting on a few items so I can have my neighbor do the soldering of the connectors for motor and battery onto the ESC I bought.