General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Craggles

Craggles Member

Bloody Axial has pushed out the ETA on the SCX10-II's again, now to early June but who knows if thats even real.

Getting a bit pissed with their lack on info so questioning going with their platform now.

If I have to wait that long I'm tempted to go the Traxxas option on the horizon, aftermarket support will no doubt be better in the long run.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

3. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

4. Craggles

Craggles Member

Axial SCX10 II has finally changed to shipped with Tower Hobbies...

Only took 3 months!

5. Craggles

Craggles Member

Of course it arrived the day after I'd left home for work for a week....

Got home tonight, quick dummy fit because I've been waiting for 3 months!!!

Will have a proper muck around this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Looks like a good start!

Next step for me would be drop the body down a good 15mm and put some more appropriately sized tyres under it so it doesn't look so monster truck ;)

7. electro rc

electro rc Member

What's HSP gear like these days? Same level of shit or worse/better? Thinking of picking up one of these to build a cheap ass crawler for very casual use..[​IMG]

8. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I had a HSP crawler. While it had a few issues (awful tyres, high COG, fake beadlock wheels), the tame nature of crawling meant it never broke. As long as you don't intend to go putting more powerful motors etc in it, it should be fine

9. electro rc

electro rc Member

I had one of those HSP pangolin crawlers (knock off of the AX10, no longer produced it seems) about 5 years ago and it was fine for purpose also. Was just hoping their quality hasn't slid down hill. I think I've had all of their RCs at one point or another. My favourite was the 1.10 monster truck! Once I upgraded a few choice parts it was indestructible. Might bite the bullet and pick on up..

10. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Saw one on a trail run the other day and it was pretty terrible. Torque twists like crazy, and broke a knuckle by the end of the day.

Steering was pretty average, as already mentioned very high center of gravity and no real upgrades to fix it aside from some serious diy work.

I wouldn't spend my money on one.

I've got a hg p601 which is a 6x6 version of the p401. Similar price point and just as cheap and nasty and wouldn't recommend it for a first crawler either.

Save your money and do it right the first time with an Axial scx10 II, traxxas trx-4 or vaterra ascender

11. Craggles

Craggles Member

My project this weekend

Still lots to add, waiting on 1.55's for the LC70 and the trailer, hopefully arrive this week

Gotta make a start now on all the details, have a solar panel for the roof, handles to go in, nuts/bolts etc, also going to make an awning for it.

Bit of fun to tow though, practice my reversing skills :)

Inspired by the Conqueror Hybrid Camper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Craggles

Craggles Member

Pretty much finished the trailer this weekend, makes for some interesting trails, my reversing skills are improving too :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I recently got back into R/C after a long break from the hobby. Last time was about 2000 with a $200 Tamiya kit before I decided RC was too expensive and got into computers.. That went well!!
    So on a whim I picked up a "traxxas slash" for $60 from ShadowBurger a couple of months back.. It had everything to get started, just needed some love..

Knowing nothing (aside from the very basics like what a transmitter, ESC, receiver and servos etc are and a couple of things ShadowBurger told me when I picked it up) I set to work.
    This is what the "Slash" looked like.
    Before:
    [​IMG]

I took it to metro hobbies, and asked if they had what I needed. (A rear shock tower) They looked at the "slash" for about 5 seconds and said it all looked like Pro-Line and Itegy and promptly directed me to tower hobbies. So the RC guys at Metro know their stuff, even if their sales staff are dicks who won't do a $100 discount for someone about to spend 2 grand cash. so I will return to metro hobbies now because of decent staff who couldn't help me but told me where I could get what I needed.

Tower hobbies were amazing. They looked at one picture of my broken shock tower and basically told me what every component on the car was, gave me part numbers for basically the whole arse end and offered several solutions at various prices.

So I decided to spend a bit more than I was going to... I only NEEDED a $10 USD shock tower:
    I got 2 new Pro-Line Badlands SC wheels/tyres to match the rear 2
    a new pro-line front shock tower
    2 new pro-line rear shock towers
    New bolts for the lower control arms, Rear shock tower, and shocks.
    a wheel brace spanner X multi tool thing (to take off and put back on shocks and wheels)
    total came to $102.something AUD.

The parts were ordered, and I set to work restoring. Piece by piece I took the screws and bolts out and bathed them in WD-40 to remove the rust. The plastic/carbon parts also got full baths in soapy water. It was a total overhaul (total is a lie, I did come across a few parts where the bolts simply wouldn't budge: 1 bolt holding front shock onto lower control arm, 1 bolt holding front bulkhead to shock tower and 1 bold holding lower chassis to upper chassis Aside from those 3 bolts I'm not exaggerating that it was a total overhaul)

As I waited for parts to arrive and cleaned and restored, I learnt that ShadowBurger wasn't overselling how much had been spent on this "slash". EG: I looked up the servo and it's like $70-100 just for that.. That's an entire slot car right there!
    I keep putting "slash" in incorrect quotation marks because it's not a slash. As far I can see, the only original parts are radio system, body, and a couple of bits of steering. All the rest is pretty much all proline

Soon the parts arrived and I was good to go. After many, many hours and only $160 this is what I had:
    [​IMG]
    I Took the after photo BEFORE I drove it, Like a new Real car.

Good thing I did take that photo because I promptly decided to bash it around powersliding in dust for 20 minutes. Thing was off its tits!
    I was having absolute blast, As much fun as a real car on my favorite roads with no other traffic or a 6 person drunken slot car race during bathurst!

And that fun lasted up untill the lipo alarm went off, and I took a final high speed turn sideways to bring it home. I hit a patch of grass and it went barreling across the park flipping multiple times and dislodging all the super strength tape holding the ESC, receiver and battery alarm down.

That crash was the happiest I have been in a long time. Genuine JOY at watching the carnage!! :lol::lol:

Cleaned the dust off, charged the battery, reattached the electrics and got it ready for more... but alas, I think I've warped something in the flips because now the left drive shaft keeps popping out when it hits a bump.

I will fix it, and damn the expense (when it's fixed I'll probably get a new body as well) Looks like I'm back into RC again.:D

Kommandant33 likes this.
  14. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

hehehehe! I'm just glad it went to a good home. You've been bitten by the bug again - there's no escaping this time! :leet: RIP wallet

15. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I should probably make a post about the new toy I picked up after moving on the "Slash" (we're officially calling it the "slash" in quotations now :D). I ended up picking up the R/C car I've had my eye on since... 2009? The mighty Traxxas Summit! This beast is "1/10" scale (once again using the quotations because it's bogus... the Summit is way bigger than most 1/8 scale cars I've seen) and has massive wheels which are good for getting over rocks and rough terrain. I'm doing some more 1:1 4WDriving so it's a good companion to bring along out in the bush. It has low range, front and rear diff locks, and I'm in the process of modifying it for long-range FPV for exploring some trails.

Mine is the blue one, red is a friend's:
    [​IMG]

I ended up putting these same tyres on mine during a Hobbyking sale:
    [​IMG]

Here's a view from the rear boom-mounted FPV camera:
    [​IMG]

I picked mine up second-hand for $350, which was a lot better than the $800+ they go for new. It needed a new centre uni joint as that fell apart immediately, but that was a $15 part. I upgraded the steering servos as well (it runs two) and it has a lot more strength there now - the new servos are rated at four times the torque of the factory ones.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  16. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

That new truck is WAY TOO MASSIVE! (Not jelly I swear)

But I have worked out what I need to get the "Slash" up and going again.. I've either dislodged the gearbox slightly to the right, stretched the control arm or a magical elf has shortened the axle in the crash (or all 3). basically I'm getting the Pro-Line Rear Pro-Spline HD Axles PRO-2 SC/Slash 2WD $62.36USD They're extended arms, and all one piece, so it won't be a problem of popping out anymore.

And since it's on backorder till mid January at tower hobbies I've thrown this lot in my cart as well... Which is all on bloody back order. more waiting :(
    Pro-Line 1981 Ford Bronco Clear Body PRO-2 SC/Slash/SC1 (new body, why not)
    Pro-Line Extended Front/Rear Body Mounts Slash 2WD (slightly less bent than current ones)
    Pro-Line PRO-2 Front Bumper/Bulkhead 2WD Slash (That bolt being stuck in restoration meant I couldn't take the whole thing apart which drove me nuts)
    Pro-Line PRO-2 Rear Bumpers 2WD Slash (doing the front bumper, may as well do the back one too)

With shipping, that lot will be about $170USD or roughly $220..

GOD DAMN IT.. Why did it have to be so fun!! So much for cheap fun.
    After this round of spending I will have to go back to slot cars as they're cheap compared to RC!

17. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

You might be waiting longer than mid Jan for Traxxas parts from Tower:lol:

18. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

lol Firewire... you're definitely feeling the R/C addiction now. It'll take an intervention to snap you out of it :D:D:D

As far as my addiction goes, it's as bad as ever. I chucked a TrackStar brushless system on the Summit. It's a 1900kv / 120 amp system and it's fully waterproof so I can still put it through mud and whatnot if I get a hankering for hours of cleaning. I'm not sure if I'm really a fan of the system though... The motor is great and nice and quiet, but the ESC is really aggressive when you first apply the throttle, meaning it's hard to just crawl around real slow. This is despite me lowering the acceleration settings as far as they go and buying the lowest KV rating motor I could find. The old brushed system allowed me to do that quite well so for what I'm doing (long range FPV) I'm in half a mind to switch back until I source another ESC. I wonder if I can load different firmware onto it?

[​IMG]

These are the new TrackStar steering servos. Beastly units they are, and they're so strong my servo saver has become loosened. Glad it's there - I have a feeling these could rip apart the ball joints if the steering binds. Not waterproof, so I might take them apart and apply some silicone

[​IMG]

ordered some new R/C car food NOM

[​IMG]

This is the new ground station I built for the long range R/C control (transmitter). It consists of the dragonlink UHF transmitter, the original traxxas receiver, and a PWM to PPM converter which combines the 4 channels from the traxxas receiver into a PPM signal the dragonlink can use. There's also an old ESC there with a built in 5V BEC I'm using to power the converter. This ground station just sits on the ground.

[​IMG]

Driving light for night drives..... is this too much? :D :leet: I'm not sure I really want to cut into the body shell to make this fit... maybe I can pick up a spare shell second hand.

[​IMG]

I'm definitely having fun with this rig... can't wait to make some videos. At the moment my FPV goggles are out of action :rolleyes:

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  19. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

looking good, the headlights are a nice touch.
    Why is that? is there some sort of problem with them? Half of my order was on back order till mid December in the first lot, and they were right on track (shipped on the 18th)

B.D.R likes this.
  20. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

They are going bad, filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy :(

Also Hobbico(Tower Hobbies) , are in a patent shitstorm with Traxxas, and Traxxas told'em to get fucked and wont give them stock:lol:

RcCrawler has pages and pages on this, so does RcTech, as usual Facebook has half the story, every one knows some one, and a shit ton of memes on it too:leet: