General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

1. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Bullshit racing aint bashing:lol:

Only reason I paid extra for hard case lipo's was because I had too, I have run soft packs since lipo was a thing......never lost one yet

Mind you I treat my packs worse than a red headed step child:leet:

2. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

I'm hoping it'll be decent haha it wasn't exactly cheap. After having a play with using the Taranis controller on Liftoff FPV sim I found it's not that easy (or I suck at it) haha so to hopefully avoid destroying my 6 inch build on first flight, I've ordered a Beta75 Pro FPV tiny whoop to practice with.

Spent a long time thinking over goggles since there seems to have been minimal innovation in quite some time...ended up biting the bullet and just placing a couple pre orders on Fatshark HDO goggles and immersionRC Rapidfire receiver module. And a couple extra lipos, Tattu R-line 1300mah 6S, should be enough to get me started I hope.

All the customisation here (openTX, betaflight etc) is epic, my inner nerd is loving it.

Have played around with my 3d printer a bit, haven't got TPU printing perfectly yet but close, should be fun getting some bits and pieces coming from that too.

3. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

That's awesome. I love that you've jumped in head first right to the proper gear... always see people ruining their first experiences with cheap rubbish.

I do love openTX... having started there then later on picked up some top of the line Futaba and Spektrum transmitters i have to say, openTX has really disrupted the market - those other big names are selling rubbish by comparison.

I'm right into the planes myself these days. Have had a stint playing with some big production videography gear (below) but don't have the time or motivation to really get stuck into running a business. Currently building a long range plane... it'll fly one day... have had to replace the flight controller once already before it's even got off the ground

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Wow, some epic builds there haha. That's awesome.

I managed to put some time into building today. Designed and 3D printed a stack mount for the unify vtx. Used some on thingiverse as inspiration but they didn't work for me as the antenne when mounted, lead like 1cm short of stack...so made a sort of offset mount for the unify which seems to have worked well.

Spent several hours setting up taranis/opentx, betaflight and blheli32. Very delicious stuff, still so many more features for me to explore.

Got to the point of having all the basics set up and did a 'test fit' build;
    [​IMG]

Got it armed and motors at 'idle' succesfully :)
    [​IMG]

To-do:
    Install camera (ordered a runcam eagle 2 pro, the micro looked weird in this frame as I had to print a bracket for it cos too small)
    Await receiving of my pre-ordered immersionRC rapidfire video RX and fatshark hdo goggles
    Await receiving of micro whoop to practice flying prior to maiden flight
    Fix the battery cable situation

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  5. proffesso

proffesso Member

anyone do boats here? I have 6 boats I need electrics for, I have no idea about brushless (I come from the old school brushed days) and need guidance on what power motors, amp speed controllers, 2s - 4s vs high and low kv etc I should look at

6. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Finally got this beast up in the air :leet: Flew really well! Should have turned stabilisation off on the gopro, though.

7. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Thread bump. A YouTube hole lead me to these little gems

HO Scale, you reckon?

mad_mic3 likes this.
  8. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Hi have been looking for a Futaba transmitter case for my transmitter one of these
    https://www.radiosailingshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=1090
    Was looking for one of these
    https://www.futabarc.com/accessories/futp1100.html
    or
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Futaba-...m2f2397276a:g:1PsAAOSwW4dbuNsk&frcectupt=true (or larger)

Can't find any that I can get before next week
    I have been looking on Google but everywhere seems to be sold out or like on Ebay will take anywhere up to the 19th of July to get here.
    Does anyone know where I can find any?

9. caspian

caspian Member

10. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Thank's I will go and have a look at them tomorrow

11. Azrael

Azrael Member

After messing around with a mates old TT02 on the weekend I am now considering getting an old kit for reminiscing, and teaching my almost 6yo more about cars and mechanics.

I first got into RC cars back with the Tamiya Grasshopper, so Im considering getting one of the re-release kits to build with the little man, possibly the Grasshopper 2 from the mob down the road from my mates' place: https://www.rcgarage.com/products/t...i-2017-kit-t58643?_pos=2&_sid=d1b705e7f&_ss=r

Also considering getting an RTR to play with to keep both me and the little man motivated to build the Grasshopper as a father/son exercise. Was looking at something like this one: https://www.rcgarage.com/collection...2-4ghz-radio-nimh-battery-and-charger-rh-2011

But no idea on much past 1995 with the Tamiya gear, and even then most of that knowledge is fast fading and being replaced by archaic Toyota and Mazda stuff.

Does this sound like a good plan, or terrible? Should i go with something like that RiverHobby thing for the RTR, or look at HobbyKing or something?

12. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

there's a lot of personal preference involved, but there is something to be said for going for a big brand such as HPI in terms of quality, durability and availability of parts for years to come. I have owned Traxxas, HPI, LRP, Kyosho, and Team Associated cars and they were all excellent. Have also owned HSP (eBay special) and a few other random brands, and they were just awful.

Melbourne based hobby stores like Metro and The Hobbyman are priced competitively enough that I'd happily shop there rather than online, especially as they have parts.

There are a lot of choices of style of vehicle - buggy, monster truck, short course truck, and so on. If you're playing around on grass I would suggest to avoid 2 wheel drive as they struggle to get moving. Your kid might struggle to learn with a 2wd on dirt as the ass end will be all over the shop

Probably the most durable vehicle type would be a short-course (stadium) truck thanks mainly to the big shock-absorbing bumpers and parachute-like body shell which helps slow landings. a 4wd will be better to drive and will let you control it in the air by braking / accelerating

Just my 2c, I'm not really sure how much you know or how set you are on the buggy, but they tend to be the most fragile imo

edit: ill just add; it's one of those hobbies where, yeah, the quality manufacturers are probably overcharging for what you get but at the end of the day, buying the good stuff is well worth it

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    RaZ likes this.
  13. Azrael

Azrael Member

Ill probably end up with the Grasshopper anyway just for the memories, but good advice on the others. I haven't done much with RC gear since around 1994-1995, about the point that i made the transition to lying under 1:1 vehicles, rather than the 1:10 stuff.

However, i must disagree with the overcharging... or at least the relative overcharging. I paid $149 for my Grasshopper back in 1991.... its still pretty much the same today. Sure its probably $20 worth of bits, but as a relative expense it certainly hasn't indexed with income (especially not kid > adult income).

ShadowBurger likes this.
  14. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

that's fair, and yeah that's decently cheap. as long as you're buying R/C gear you have my thumbs-up regardless of where you get it or what it is :D just remember to post pics!

15. Azrael

Azrael Member

Haha. I just watched a video about the TT02. Now considering that as my car instead of the RTR.

For car TX what is a good option these days? When I was doing quads the Turnigy 9XR was the best thing as it bound well with multiple models and different radio types (Flysky Frsky whoop etc).
    What is the equivalent for car TX? Preferably something to bind with the an RX on Tamiya kits as well as any other RTRs etc.

16. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

You want the steering wheel / trigger design for cars ie. a 'surface' radio. I have a feeling (disclaimer: guessing) that there's differences in the antenna design which expects the vehicle to be close to the ground unlike air radios which aren't ground-dependent

I had one of these and it was excellent. They are a rebranded FlySky radio and come with a lithium battery. Solid unit, has all the dual-rate steering and throttle curve adjustments even if they're just analog pots. Doesn't seem to be many better alternatives until you add at least $100. Can use as a controller with your PC ;)

Also had a Spektrum DX2S about 8-9 years ago. Would buy again. Really nice build quality as you'd expect from Spektrum, possibly better range than the cheapie? Support for temp/RPM/lap sensors, telemetry, gauges on the LCD, and so on.

Couldn't comment on compatibility with other radios, typically not, but they come with receivers and kit cars typically don't (and typically don't come with motor / esc either). RTR cars will come with a TX to suit the RX. Almost-RTR is a thing and is basically an RTR car minus RX/TX and battery to suit people who already have gear.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  17. Azrael

Azrael Member

Yeah. Aware on a wheel trigger vs double gimbal design. More asking about the technical side.

18. RaZ

RaZ Member

ShadowBurger likes this.
  19. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Ordered one of these flighty bois

[​IMG]

Equipment to go on it will be:
    • 3536 1000kv motor
    • 9x6" prop
    • 40A ESC
    • Matek F405-WING flight controller
    • 4x PowerHD 1810MG digital servo
    • UBlox GPS
    • TBS Crossfire receiver
    • digital airspeed sensor
    • 2x RunCam Split v2
    • Hobbyking fpv video switcher
    • 4S2P (8x 18650) home-made pack
    • 3D printed tilt / pan mechanism for main camera
    • 3D printed landing skids
    • RangeVideo 1.2Ghz vtx
    • RMRC Singularity RHCP antenna

20. Azrael

Azrael Member

Well this just arrived for me:
    [​IMG]

Wont get a chance to open it until Christmas as it will be built alongside a Grasshopper II with my son. Looking forward to it though. First build since 1995ish.

Andres, FIREWIRE1394 and ShadowBurger like this.