General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

1. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Welp, got the beast last week and have been chipping away at the build slowly. I'm waiting on the motor and ESC still so I'm yet to figure out exactly where everything will go, which I want to do before I glue the fuselage together and make it hard to get to.

I've 3D printed a bunch of bits for it - the first of which is some skids to keep the belly in good condition.
    [​IMG]

The gear plate holds the flight controller and is removable with 3mm screws
    [​IMG]

Also printed that canopy because the stock wooden setup is a bit odd and not useful or aerodynamic - this will need some modification to contain the FPV cameras
    [​IMG]

Painted the thing black. Will be adding some red highlights to the wings
    [​IMG]

I have this biggish 1.2ghz circular-polarised antenna for video, but I couldn't come up with a great spot to mount it that was far enough away from other gear not to cause interference, so I whipped up this aerodynamic-ish cover to hang it off the bottom
    [​IMG]

The rear skid
    [​IMG]

GPS fixed inside the top of the fuselage
    [​IMG]

Pitot tube for the airspeed sensor
    [​IMG]

long-range radio antenna for R/C and telemetry using the TBS Crossfire
    [​IMG]

I've got the telemetry being passed through to the Taranis X9D+, which because the telemetry stream includes attitude information, gives me a neat instrumentation display. I would hope never to have to, but I could in theory fly the plane without video. Although I'd just flick the 'return to home' switch if that were to fail on me

2. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

moar Talon! just sing out if you want me to stop hijacking the RC thread ;)

Glued the two halves of the fuselage together with Gorilla glue and also glued in some nylon standoffs to screw the canopy into
    [​IMG]

Loving the appearance
    [​IMG]

1.2ghz RHCP antenna mounted in the 3d printed part
    [​IMG]

Hacked a servo for continuous rotation by removing the physical limiter and disconnecting the pot to use two fixed 1K resistors instead
    [​IMG]

Installed the Run Cam Split 2 board in a way that allows me to access the MicroSD card externally
    [​IMG]

Pretty stoked with the profile - it should be decently aerodynamic especially compared against the dudes running gopros and full size FPV cams on the exterior of these things
    [​IMG]

quick snap of it in action

I think I finally got a win with the motor - these collet style prop adapters are fking shite. I picked up this grub screw one instead and it finally seems balanced
    [​IMG]

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

Grasshopper just arrived for my little man to build at the same time as I do the TT02.

Bring on January

[​IMG]

FIREWIRE1394 and ShadowBurger like this.
  4. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Nice, Azrael, don't forget the pics

Mini Talon is just about ready to fly :)

dry weight: 1,180g
    batt weight: 645g
    AUW: 1,825g

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  5. jsp1511

jsp1511 Member

Hey Guys

I finally picked up a new motor/esc combo for an old Savage XS I've got - but I'm also after new batteries as well (got HPI Blitz, Trophy Truggy and a Savage XS)/

Last time I bought batteries was from Hobbyking (Turnigy hard cases) - is Hobby King still the go to for cheap/decent batteries? Just after 7.4v 2s packs - hard case preferred.

Cheers

ShadowBurger likes this.
  6. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Hey team - my boys are having a lot of fun with a ~$30 R/C boat in our pool. Keen to grab something for myself too.

Would just get used in a normal domestic pool, so thinking something around 20cm long would be the go and not crazy fast.

Any recommendations for a HobbyKing / Dealextreme type jobbie for laughs? $150 max budget but prefer under $100.

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

I’ve got a zohd orbit neon working on iNav with gps, but now using a Sunnysky motor and 6x4.5 prop since I snapped the original prop