1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

1. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Welp, got the beast last week and have been chipping away at the build slowly. I'm waiting on the motor and ESC still so I'm yet to figure out exactly where everything will go, which I want to do before I glue the fuselage together and make it hard to get to.

I've 3D printed a bunch of bits for it - the first of which is some skids to keep the belly in good condition.
    [​IMG]

The gear plate holds the flight controller and is removable with 3mm screws
    [​IMG]

Also printed that canopy because the stock wooden setup is a bit odd and not useful or aerodynamic - this will need some modification to contain the FPV cameras
    [​IMG]

Painted the thing black. Will be adding some red highlights to the wings
    [​IMG]

I have this biggish 1.2ghz circular-polarised antenna for video, but I couldn't come up with a great spot to mount it that was far enough away from other gear not to cause interference, so I whipped up this aerodynamic-ish cover to hang it off the bottom
    [​IMG]

The rear skid
    [​IMG]

GPS fixed inside the top of the fuselage
    [​IMG]

Pitot tube for the airspeed sensor
    [​IMG]

long-range radio antenna for R/C and telemetry using the TBS Crossfire
    [​IMG]

I've got the telemetry being passed through to the Taranis X9D+, which because the telemetry stream includes attitude information, gives me a neat instrumentation display. I would hope never to have to, but I could in theory fly the plane without video. Although I'd just flick the 'return to home' switch if that were to fail on me

2. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

moar Talon! just sing out if you want me to stop hijacking the RC thread ;)

Glued the two halves of the fuselage together with Gorilla glue and also glued in some nylon standoffs to screw the canopy into
    [​IMG]

Loving the appearance
    [​IMG]

1.2ghz RHCP antenna mounted in the 3d printed part
    [​IMG]

Hacked a servo for continuous rotation by removing the physical limiter and disconnecting the pot to use two fixed 1K resistors instead
    [​IMG]

Installed the Run Cam Split 2 board in a way that allows me to access the MicroSD card externally
    [​IMG]

Pretty stoked with the profile - it should be decently aerodynamic especially compared against the dudes running gopros and full size FPV cams on the exterior of these things
    [​IMG]

quick snap of it in action

I think I finally got a win with the motor - these collet style prop adapters are fking shite. I picked up this grub screw one instead and it finally seems balanced
    [​IMG]

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

Grasshopper just arrived for my little man to build at the same time as I do the TT02.

Bring on January

[​IMG]

4. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Nice, Azrael, don't forget the pics

Mini Talon is just about ready to fly :)

dry weight: 1,180g
    batt weight: 645g
    AUW: 1,825g

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  5. jsp1511

jsp1511 Member

Hey Guys

I finally picked up a new motor/esc combo for an old Savage XS I've got - but I'm also after new batteries as well (got HPI Blitz, Trophy Truggy and a Savage XS)/

Last time I bought batteries was from Hobbyking (Turnigy hard cases) - is Hobby King still the go to for cheap/decent batteries? Just after 7.4v 2s packs - hard case preferred.

Cheers

ShadowBurger likes this.
  6. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Hey team - my boys are having a lot of fun with a ~$30 R/C boat in our pool. Keen to grab something for myself too.

Would just get used in a normal domestic pool, so thinking something around 20cm long would be the go and not crazy fast.

Any recommendations for a HobbyKing / Dealextreme type jobbie for laughs? $150 max budget but prefer under $100.

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

I’ve got a zohd orbit neon working on iNav with gps, but now using a Sunnysky motor and 6x4.5 prop since I snapped the original prop

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

managed to sneak one of these little things under the xmas tree for my Daughter

TRC-18311.png

For the $99 bucks they got for pretty much everywhere! .
    https://www.hobbyone.com.au/tornado-rc-1-18-thunder-ep-4wd-desert-truck-rtr

She's Only just shy of 6 so I though it was a bit ambitious, but she's a speed demon so all the age rated ones were too lame.. She was bored with the Kmart jobs.

With supervision I found it's perfect! She loves it, Took it out to a new development to give it a workout, and she drove it into the ground (i.e a dead battery)

Don't have much point of reference, but damn it seems pretty good for the $$, 2.4Ghz, controller trim, 4WD (F/r open diffs) , heaps of parts, especially if you can nab it somewhere a bit cheaper. The open Diff's Front and rear mean it gets hooked up and spins diagonals on bigger grass clumps until you go save it, but on the gravel it's a blast. Going to make some cardboard ramps for next outing

rc2.png

IMG_20200106_170446_1.png

rc1.png

IMG_20200106_172529.png

oops!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Andres and mad_mic3 like this.
  9. Imitation

Imitation Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Member

So this is the belated Christmas photo, all lined up. Have built the Grasshopper with the eldest, but waiting on batteries to arrive as the first lot went AWOL with AusPost
    [​IMG]

TT02s are mine, I originally got the Lancia, but then was given a gift voucher for my birthday and spotted the Neo Scorcher come up, so grabbed that too.

Kommandant33 and mad_mic3 like this.
  11. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

12. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Does anyone here "regularly" buy cars online? What are some of the trusted stores to buy from?
    I'm happy to buy a car at a certain price point, sight unseen.

13. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Do you mean new or second hand?

14. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

New, please.
    The kid wants a "very fast" car for his 11th birthday. But we live in a cul-de-sac that's pretty short, so it's not like he's gonna be tearing up 100s of meters at a time.
    We back onto bush with a nice long clearing (of assorted bush grasses), so I think he'd have more fun with an off-road car.

15. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Def better off getting an off-road car. Electric brushless will be best - what is the budget?

We got my daughter an Axial Yeti Jr - which is a small 1/18th scale off road buggy - it is brushed and not the fastest - but good for a learner with hobby grade parts - and the batteries are relatively inexpensive.

NanoDuke likes this.
  16. bYrd

bYrd Member

Anything Traxxas VXL off road like a Slash, Summit, Revo, Rustler, Stampede - 1/10 or 1/18 scale depending on budget. Still can't kill my Revo VXL 1/18, and brushed Summit 1/10 after all these years.

NanoDuke and stiben like this.
  17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

for RC's that need AA/AAA batteries, is there really a difference in say batteries from Bunnings (can buy 30 AA for $9.82) vs something like Costco Kirkland batteries (48 for $20ish), vs Duracell on sale from wherever??

I bought some batteries from Bunnings (Varta ones), and found that either the RC car drains batteries or the batteries suck

18. philquad

philquad Member

true,
    duracel, energizer etc are always better or buy a rechargable set

19. Athiril

Athiril Member

Yeah, battery capacity and voltage sag under load. Worse batteries will have lower capacity (less run time) and more voltage sag under load (RC car has less power). Eneloop Pro's are good rechargeable batteries with high capacity and ability to put out higher currents.

For a car that takes 4-5 AA/AAAs you can always put a 2S LiPo in it and get a lot more power :Paranoid:

philquad likes this.
  20. philquad

philquad Member

when i was a kid i had a crappy car that run 1 9 volt & 2 aa's = 12v ? i stuffed 2x 9 volts in it with some foil, geez it flew until it cooked.
    even now i have a 11.1 lipo in my rustler instead of a 7.4 :tongue: