General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

1. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

even a 1S will be an improvement for a 4xAA car if you didn't want to risk cooking it. Nominal voltage 4.2v so not much less than 4xAA under full sag. Would increase run time something like tenfold

2. Athiril

Athiril Member

So I was thinking of building a tiny wing or plane for fun to fly around. I already have some 450mah 2s 45c batteries around 32g each. So I was thinking something like

0806 brushless motor - 5g
    Turnigy 7A 1-2s ESC - 0.8g
    16x16 FC - 2g
    2 x 2g servos (too big? too small?) - 4g
    Battery - 32g
    AIO camera - 4.8g (though 10-20g for a 4K split camera)
    Body - allocated 20g
    Prop - 1g

69.6g to 84.8g

Max Thrust - 153g, 6.5A
    50% approx - 62g, 2.22A

Min flight time around 4 min if running at max, maybe 3.5 min accounting for not killing battery.

12 min mixed flight time

I forgot to add receiver in there

3. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Got my Traxxas Bandit out of storage. Decided rather than getting a NiMH and new charger (lost the old one) I'd upgrade to Lipo's.

On a mate's advice, got a 540 4370kv 9T brushless motor & ESC, and bought a 5200mah 3S lipo (50C max draw). Should see a sizeable improvement in performance based on old use. Car was practically new, so will sell ESC and motor to recoup a little money. Putting that towards a 2.4Ghz upgrade because its a 27mhz AM model :(

Also, getting my son a HPI / Maverick Phantom Truck for his birthday, so we can start doing some RC together.

All the stuff will start arriving in next few weeks ready for his birthday, so will do a big unveil with him on birthday day. I think im just as excited as he will be :thumbup:

AmB likes this.
  4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Anyone looking up offload some entry level cars by any chance? I’m wanting some, but don’t want the Kmart ones

5. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

The Dead Simple foam board wing design is an absolute rippa. Flies so easy and is really aerobatic. Check out the designs here:
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...DS-(Dead-Simple)-Flying-Wing-Pics-Video-Plans

It's literally just made from foam board you can buy from, say hobbyking (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-modelling-foam-board-3mm-x-500mm-x-700mm-white.html?___store=en_us) and is made by just doubling up the thickness at the front of the wing, so no bending an aerofoil or anything complex. Spray adhesive, a sharp stanley knife, and hot glue are the only tools you need.

Great for starting out because it doesn't matter if you smash the plane, just build another one for a couple of bucks worth of material.

Here's mine in action. Just used a 2205 DYS motor I had kicking around and a 5" bi-blade prop. Coupled that with a 3S 1000mah lipo.

CoG is critical with any wing - it will not fly at all unless it's bang on.

6. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I got a maverick phantom xt for $200. It was a "demo" but basically brand new, with 3000mah battery and ESC thats capable of 2S lipo's. It's hobby grade in that pretty much all the parts are replaceable and its 1/10 scale. For the money, its a great buy - certainly fast enough for a beginner and a few upgrade options available to you.

mAJORD likes this.
  7. old4570

old4570 Member

Micro Tundra with a 6030 Gemfan prop ..

Nethiuz likes this.
  8. old4570

old4570 Member

NiceSky DHC2 Beaver - 2nd Flight .

ShadowBurger and mAJORD like this.
  9. bYrd

bYrd Member

Nice, I'm a Traxxas snob. Have a 1/10 Summit and 1/18 e-revo VXL. Expensive but well made, neither have caused issue after years of misuse. Like you I just upgraded a 1/10 Traxxas Summit from horrible old crusty NiMH to Lipos and the change was worth it.

10. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Played with it for all of 20 secs before a screw came out of lower control arm stopping fun. Have been to hobby store and got replacement screw, and on ebay ordered a tackle box full of assorted screws for $16. Also got a few Deans connectors and tamyia connectors (thats what car came with, making adapter cable for charger). Have pulled all small screws out, loctite and put back in now. Fingers crossed it can last a few sessions.

I suspect a lipo upgrade will be this week (might get a lipo on the weekend) because he has been playing with the next door neighbours nitro car, and has good car control. I picked the maverick because i can do the same swap as mine (4370kv brushless and 3S lipo).

Im with you on being a traxxas whore. Mine is built so much better than the HPI car. Has proper uni joint driveshafts for one, not dogbones. The suspension bits are generally nut and bolt, not screw into plastic bit.

Was funny, when i told the guy at the RC store i had a bandit (2wd) and did the brushless / 3S combo he laughed and said it will be insanely fast. Fingers crossed the 2WD can handle it lol :lol:

11. old4570

old4570 Member

Micro Tundra gets a 1306 3100kv ( out with the 1106 )

12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

can anyone recommend a buggy from Gearbest under $100? I've got $50 worth of points to use

13. jhunt31

jhunt31 Member

Hi guys,

Any suggestions for a RTR 4x4 RC truck? E.g. is something like the Maverick Strada MT OK? https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/MV12615

Looking for something that can run LiPo batteries for around $200-300 (excluding batteries) from a local store in Brisbane (e.g. RCMA rcmodelaircraft.com.au)

Thanks!

mAJORD likes this.
  14. xc351

xc351 Member

Anyone played with the arrma felony or the infraction

Is it way overkill for a carpark basher?

Might even pick up a 1/5 scale baja. Just don't want nitro there picky pain in the ass things.

15. old4570

old4570 Member

Here at last ! 40mm Alloy EDF .
    Waited for months for this to be available .
    Really nice running EDF
    I will be running 2s ( pulls 14A ) but on 3s , should be a real screamer .

16. t00ch

t00ch Member

I just bought the Maverick Quantum MT Flux yesterday. Sold all of my RC cars years ago and had been thinking of buying a cheap basher to take to the park with my kids. Put a 2S lipo in it and it's pretty bloody quick. It's 3S capable but I expect it would just break shit quickly with a 3S.

Managed to bend one of the rear axles when it cartwheeled but I bent it back roughly straight and it's been fine. HPI/Maverick have an uprated part as it's a known weak point so I'll grab a couple spare next time I'm near the hobby shop.

jhunt31 likes this.
  17. old4570

old4570 Member

18. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Another year, another Car for the little one for Christmas .

https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/Xinlehong-110-Sprint-Electric-4WD-Off-Road-RC-Monster-Truck-9125

Limited budget, decided on an Xinlehong 9125 , 1/10 (more like 1/"11") $155 from above, similar price from O/S surprisingly, though I had seen a few around $120 with cheap shipping.

IMG_20210104_150027.png

IMG_20210108_173305.png

Pretty impressed by this one. Kind of odd in that it runs two generic 390 brushed motors, but for the $, specs are pretty good. Full ball bearing, metal driveshafts, metal crown/pinion , 2S 1600ma lipo standard, Esc that can (just , apparently) handle 3s lipo. Well sealed all over, Dual rate adjust on remote, and it's Stong as an ox. So good for kids / a basher.

She'd definitely out grown the little 1:18, but had a bit of trouble adjusting to this one, consequently crashing into to all sorts of shit at full speed. Smashed into a fence pole with the left front wheel at good speed , head on into a cement gutter , and just endless things frankly in the first day or two , but it didn't flinch.

Pulled it down after a week of abuse, and was pretty good inside, bit of dust around the motors, but almost no intrusion into the spur gear and diff area ..

IMG_20210109_170044.png

Cons: Shocks are absolute rubbish , not oil filled. Thankfully there's several Oil filled upgrades - around $20 -$30 for a set of 6. Will be ordering them soon.

Speed is not fantastic, but perfectly fine for the $

Is a total pain in arse to get into the motor/drivetrain , at least compared to your open style frames. - I guess some of that is a consequence of being semi-sealed, but some is by design. 20 screws to remove to uncover the motor, gears, diff assembly .

Few other little issues, like upper control arm screws are machine screws (m2.5ish? ) , but thread into plastic.. wtf. one has stripped either from factory, or after i re assembled it. I'll just helicoil these if this becomes an issue. I don't think the samer issue exists on bottom arms as they're integrated into the aluminium bashplates, so would be an alu thread.

Couple of mini vids of her giving it a good bash

need to find some new spots around nth bris soon

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  19. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

I'm keen to get back into flying... is the spektrum dx6i second hand still a decent choice? Or should I buy one of those OrangeRX jobs from hobbyking for a little more?

Out of the game so long I'm more or less starting again.

20. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

If you can hunt around for a Taranis you won't find a more fully featured radio. X9D+ is the cream of the crop, QX7 is the 'lite' alternative, the X-lite pro is the ultra compact but still powerful version

TBS tango is a USA made and subjectively better radio depending on who you ask

Both those ones you mentioned represent an archaic era before open source software radios were a thing, now any cheap chinese manufacturer can bang a software radio chip into a transmitter and ship it with OpenTX for full 32ch support with telemetry, programmable logic, lua support and complex mixing right there on the radio. The Taranis is the best of these and FrSky have made strides into innovating R/C radios and not trying to tax the 'old farts who like model aeroplanes' crowd like Spektrum have been doing for years

EDIT: I advise to steer clear of hobby shops for flying R/C equipment these days. With the massive disruption to R/C due to FPV drone technology, traditional brick and mortar stores are completely left in the dust. They are overpriced by hundreds of dollars and their top tier products tend to be bottom tier elsewhere

This obviously isn't the case for 100% of stores and by all means support local business but just go into it with both eyes open and be aware of what you can get online so you don't get stung

Hobbyking's top tier stuff is below bottom tier by any measurable standard of quality. The only thing worth shopping there for are cheap LiPos - something aussie retailers struggle to import due to the shipping limitations

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021