1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You've got all the latest controller, drone firmware and FlyApp software updates?

2. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Are you close to an airport?

3. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Yes I have the latest firmware, dji fly app and the controller.

No the Airport is in cairns north about 17 km away.

I have been looking to see if it is the phone but it it doesn't seem to be anything on that.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Things to try:

(1) another phone/tablet maybe with a different OS if possible
    (2) another cable
    (3) leave it on, phone all plugged in ready to go, for a while to see if time resolves it
    (4) restoring to factory default through the DJI assistant 2 app
    (5) contact DJI support and see if they can go through trouble shooting with them

If non of this works then I'm out of ideas, and possibly unfortunately may need to be returned under warranty, but DJI support will let you know this.

5. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Thanks I'll try a different phone or tablet they are all android.
    I'll try all of those things you suggest.

6. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

I assume this is a write off

7. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Just bought the drone last week and still haven't flown it because of this damn thing. Using DFI Fly
    Now I am confused it picked up 6 satellites when I touched the icon in the top right corner but said signal was weak..
    On the left at the top in red it said no GPS

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If anyone has the Mini 2, like myself, the SDK has been released by DJI recently, and Litchi now have the Beta app up. The app now enables the Mini 2 with Follow Me, Waypoints, Active Track etc. Awesome stuff as it adds so much more functionality to the mini 2 :thumbup:

Just remember it is still Beta so might pay to wait until it's goes full.

9. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Have you tried it out yet?

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nope, but will probably buy it when it goes full version. Probably not likely to happen but don't want to risk a fly away. I'm in no rush for this functionality so will wait for a final version. Active track has been something I've been waiting for for a while now so quite excited to finally get it.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Rainbow app is another alternative for the Litchi app. Rainbow app will at least give you five free flights before you need to purchase the app.

mixsetup likes this.
  12. sjhupp

sjhupp Member

Ok, so not used my old RC cars in a loooooong time, but wanted to get one out for some remote mine surveillance, where I'm not dumb enough to crawl in.
    I have some old Tamiya cars - Madcap, Hotshot, Exceed, Thunderdragon and a Fox (in pieces lol). And a few different motors for them. Seemed a waste to get rid of them.
    Anyone fitted an old phone or maybe a go-pro type camera to one before?
    Anyway, first things first, I grabbed the Thunderdragon out out of the cupboard, and charged up the 30yo NiCAD battery pack, and it went ... very slowly for about 10 seconds lol
    Understandable, so first I need a new battery pack, and have NFI where to start. These are the 6 cell 7,2v dynamite stick packs.
    Can someone point me to where a reliable replacement is please? And what charger I'm going to need?
    Not looking to race it, just get some more drive time.

13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Should be able to upgrade to a Lipo pack, that'll get you best runtime. Just browse for 7.4v (LiPo) with the right dimensions to fit, and obviously the same plug.

Lipo chargers - anything that will support 2S :) .. so many options there, from basic things like : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384737896105?hash=item59942a66a9:g:eXMAAOSw36piDMhU , to your B6 based chargers that are programmable - millions of them to choose from that do the same thing essentially.

-EDIT. Sorry, I completely forgot to mention the ESC - without knowing exactly what cars and ESC's they have hard to say if they'll be a problem going Lipo.. main issue being the correct cutoff voltage for the Lipo's - this is super important. Some ESC's are settable to Lipo , but old ones that came with NiCd's I don't know? Nor do I know the cutoff voltage for them , if they bother with them at all. So check that out first. Might be better of just grabbing NIMH if its all too hard. Still gonna be good enough for what you're doing by the sounds

I'd probably run them without body and tie the go-pro down properly.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    sjhupp and MUTMAN like this.
  14. slavewone

slavewone Member

A 2 cell in series (2S) LiPo will give you 8.4v charged and 7.4v discharged. I think that replaces a 6S NiCd.

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide

Your old RC won’t know itself on LiPo’s - I trust the motor and drive chain are up to it.

I’d be looking for a battery that fits your existing compartment and it doesn’t need to be fancy high discharge rating, lower will probably be better. This discharge is measured in C - 20C is likely about right.

I’ve got a cheap multichemistry B6 copy that charges all sorts of things. The copies are cheaper and work for plenty of people and that suits my level of hobby

sjhupp and MUTMAN like this.
  15. sjhupp

sjhupp Member

That's a great link, thanks. So much more complicated than the old days!
    I have the basic molex/tamiya plug (does get hot too), and while a couple of the motors I'd hope would cope with a higher powered battery (but I'd have to check the specs), I expect 30yo plastic running gear in most of those models may crap out, lol. I was going to use the exceed, as it has 4WD/4WS and bigger tyres, and that has a slow (360?) motor from memory. Nothing speedy.
    Something lower power but longer running time (assume that would be low C value?) sounds right.
    But sounds like new battery means new connectors/wiring, and a new charger. Eek, got complicated real fast!
    Thanks again, that's a good read.

Edit: And wrt "Might be better of just grabbing NIMH if its all too hard." - thinking this is the way to go?

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

really depends on how far you want to push/take the gear.
    it might be cheaper to sell all your old gear and buy (second hand) something thats already runs on lipo batts ???

sjhupp likes this.
  17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

OK, didn't realize they were ALL old Tamiya models. Read it as a comma accidently. They're a bit, err 'classic' So I'm thinking you should just find NimH compatible replacements as used in the Re-released versions?

I wouldn't be messing with them personally. They're candidates for restoring

e.g for the thunderdragon:

https://www.metrohobbies.com.au/products/irunrc-7-2v-3000mah-nimh-battery-tamiya-plug

is listed as the compat battery for the 2021 release . does it look right?

sjhupp likes this.
  18. sjhupp

sjhupp Member

Now that's just asking for a lot more effort than I planned! :)
    Certainly has some logic, but the Madcap my brother and I built when we were way younger, so have to hold onto that one.
    But yeah, will add to the to-do list I guess.
    Cheers.

19. sjhupp

sjhupp Member

I didn't even realise there were re-released versions, but did scan through this thread and see someone with a NIB grasshopper - I just assumed someone was a real good hoarder to still have that!
    If there are drop in replacement packs, that sounds the least effort required.
    Got any links to something good value? - yep, that one linked looks the same size, thanks. Is that a decent brand, price etc?

edit: is a iMah SC6 7.2V Battery Pack 3000mAh Ni-MH ok too? $27 on Amazon. I assume better than my old 1200mAh nicad anyway

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

now they were "The Shizzle" in 1983
    I so wanted one :D

mAJORD likes this.