1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

General RC Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by deanx0r, Dec 26, 2001.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Grasshopper and Hornet are about the only Tamiya buggies I know! An untouched original would be nice.

sjhupp . Well, being NiMH anything with a Tamiya plug should be the same footprint if they're the same cells and config (unlike lipo pouches, that are just all over the place size wise) , so just search ' 7.2v tamiya plug' and check the dimensions . No idea on brands sorry.

sjhupp and MUTMAN like this.
  2. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

So couple of misconceptions there.

Firstly the motor. It being "up to" high power battery.

The ESC and motor will draw what it needs, the battery being high power is irrelevant as it doesn't force power into those components. So yes battery technology has come along way since then but as long as the voltage is correct you will be fine.

Something lower power and longer running... Low C value...

In short no.
    The capacity of the battery measured in mAh will determine the running time. The higher the mAh the longer you run for. The 'C' rating is the discharge rate the battery can handle. So faster higher power motors (modified motors in the RC racing world) need a higher C rating so that the motor can draw the current it needs. Max Current Draw = Capacity x C Rating, so if you bought a 5000mAh battery with a 1C rating tthe maximum current draw would be 5 Amps. If it was 10C it would be 50 Amps.

The C rating considering you most likely have the old brushed silver '540' can motors can be considered to be irrelevant for your usage.

If you want longer runtime go higher on the mAh. And just to reinforce the battery provides what the system asks of it (up to the C rating) it does not force more power into the system than it needs.

The only concern is your ESC won't have the correct voltage cutoff like new ESC's do so you risk damaging the battery, if you are not going fast and not running for excessive amounts of time though a reasonable capacity lipo should run the old silver can motors for quite a while. Alternatively look at a cheap lipo voltage alarm, it's a small circuit board with an led bulb and a tiny speaker that you plug into the balance port and will alert you when the voltage drops too much.

You just need to find a lipo with the correct plug and in the stick style and a cheap balance charger, start there if you need to rewire anything the battery will still be good as long as you fit the same style plug back on.

Have a look at HobbyKing they should have some reasonably priced stuff for what you are trying to do.

sjhupp likes this.
  3. apsilon

apsilon Member

It was the Hotshot that I was drooling over. Bought a re release of it a couple of years back but haven't got around to building it yet. Hope to this year but there's unfortunately a fair bit of stuff that has priority on the same list.

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. sjhupp

sjhupp Member

yeah, I remember the Frog, Hornet, and the Wild One were popular too.
    The Fox I should build up - that thing moved well back then.
    Not sure if I have most of a Samurai too, with a chain drive! That was cool.

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

So in summary, in the space of a few hours you've gone from choping up the old cars to restoring them
    :lol::lol:

sjhupp and mAJORD like this.
  6. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Hi I have just bought a secondhand HTRC T240 DUO
    and 2 Redback 11.1V 3S 30C 2200mAh Lipo Batteries with it.

The batteries are like
    https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwixw-fBkMD2AhXijuYKHb3PAaUQ9pwGCAg

Now when I hit the LIPO It comes up

Charge Current 2.2A
    End Voltage 4.20 v/s
    Discharge Current Invalid

Should I change any of these settings?

My other charger and batteries for my other plane are Spektrum smart so I don't need to worry about any of this.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Settings are fine

I usually go for 4.18 end voltage purely to add a safety margin and a fraction life span to them.

mAJORD likes this.
  8. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Thanks for that

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Finally had a chance to use the Litchi app last weekend. Works brilliantly! Tried to lose it in bush and nope, tracked me perfectly of course. Haven't played around with the other modes as had actual paid work to do but Follow Me for the Mini 2 works awesome, well worth the $37 :thumbup:

10. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Thanks heaps I will buy it now I know it works

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I also flew a Mavic 2 Enterprise and DJI Phantom.....wow they are just amazing bits of kit. The Mavic 2 Enterprise has a thermal camera also which was able to successfully detect thermal hotspots for the work application we were needing it for.

The split screen on the controller was amazing, so much better than using a phone imo.

I'd love to get one but (a) just can't justify it and (b) the cost is considerable. So for now I just get to fly it for work purposes :p

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

mm thermal camera + drone .. Wish there was some more affordable options for that (in general)

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I hope so too. Hopefully in the future these technologies will come down in price where it's affordable in consumer level drones.

I wanted to fly the Mavis 2 at night with thermal camera on but you know, pesky things like the rules and stuff :p

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Feels like such a slow burn . We've had reasonably high Res Flir cameras at work since the late 2000's . Back then they cost a shitload, and it's great to see the technology hit sub 1$K in stand alone devices recently but I'd have thought the Chinese would be all over it , eems they've only fairly recently broken into the market.

15. apsilon

apsilon Member

They already have. Commercial thermal cameras were well into 5 figures and approaching 6 when they came out, now you can get one for $500 that attaches to your phone and even pro use portable ones are a few thousand. They'll continue to get cheaper though to the point where you'll see them appearing in toys etc.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'd expect the Mini 3 to have more obstacle avoidance cams given the competition and the calls for it. Definitely sounds like they may be beefing it up a bit.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Specs have been leaked for the Mini 3. I do like the idea of a bigger battery which will take flight time to 47minutes, but at the cost of weight though and will apparently push it over the 250g mark. Fantastic that they now have much better obstacle avoidance, and also focus track. These are probably enough pro's already for me to change away from the Mini 2.

The only drawback is obviously all this will come at a cost and we aren't going to see sub 1K prices.

https://dronedj.com/2022/04/20/dji-mini-3-pro-drone-specs-features-price/

In summary:

Larger propellers, streamlined design
    Weighs less than 250 grams
    Longer flight time: Extendable to 47 mins
    1/1.3-inch CMOS sensor
    4K/60fps video, 48MP RAW photos
    Tri-directional obstacle detection

APAS 4.0
    O3 transmission
    RC-N1 remote control and new DJI RC
    Vertical shooting
    Focus Track subject tracking

MasterShots

Timelapse
    Fast transfer
    Panorama
    Digital zoom

18. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

er

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If you read the article in the link you will see this is explained.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

DJI Mini 3 Pro night footage. Impressive.

Controller review

Last edited: May 10, 2022