Generic brand VS Original Branded Mobile Datacables

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Romen, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Romen

Romen Member

Is there any real difference, other than price?

It seems a legit Sony Ericsson DCU-11Cable costs between $60-100, and a generic one can be had for as little as $15... Just wondering why there is such a big gap! Surely there must be *something* to partly justify the high cost of a branded cable???

2. krell

krell Member

"sony" - theres your answer there.
    or does the orig come with software that the aftermarket doesn't ???

3. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I don't know how the Sony ones work, but the generic one I've got is essentially a serial data cable and a USB-serial converter. It does allow the phone to charge from USB, and it does allow data transfers - although those are slow and unreliable (most likely the data cable's fault).

Apart from that, the generic one's plastic clips (that hold it in the phone's socket) get weaker after a few uses (so you really have to leave the phone on a flat surface during data transfers).

4. OP
    OP
    Romen

Romen Member

It appears the aftermarket ones come with more software including a disc with lots of (probably crap) ring tones and pictures... AFAIK, there isnt a difference between the sony and aftermarket ones... But im just checking..

Oh, i forgot we had a mobile phone board too! :) Thanks admin for moving!

5. Digitone

Digitone Member

have used both here, no real diff between the two although the sony does feel like a better build quaulity. as for the drivers you can just download them from the sony ericsson website. I just sell the aftermarket ones now and haven't had any troubles yet

hope this helps

6. bryn

bryn Member

I don't know about Sony, but with Nokia I know that alot of the generic data cables won't work with CDMA handsets. Not sure why this is but it means I need to buy a genuine one.... :(

7. pavlos

pavlos Member

ive got a generic dku-2 data cable for my nokia 6230. wrosk fine, no problems.

id never buy an original cable, waste of cash...

8. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

The Sony Ericsson DCU-11 Cable is a Charger AND Data Cable in one.

That will be the difference :).

I got one for $65 delivered from an online store in Aus..

Well worth it.

9. pavlos

pavlos Member

ah well that is definetely worth the extra $50 then, because its way too difficult to plug in the normal charger cable that comes free with the fone at the same time as the data cable...

10. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Big Ups :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: to the place I bought my DCU-11 from.

Ordered Saturday night..

They called me yesterday AM to confirm order (that I'd actualy placed it) and my c/card number.

On my desk this morning!!

To answer everyones questions it comes with USB Drivers/Information CD, and the Cable (and charger).

Well worth $65 inc delivery :)

11. SLATYE

My generic one can do that too. It's got a little switch on it which enables the charger. I don't think the charging circuit is very complex - the charger is 4.8v, and USB is 5v, so it probably just connects 5v USB directly to the phone's power connector.

12. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Can it charge and link at the same time?

I have both a USB charger and now the DCU-11 cable.

One thing I'll note.. the charger only ... if I have it plugged in and phone charging when PC is off.. I cant boot up my PC ... *wierd*.

13. SLATYE

Yes, it can charge and link at the same time. I've never had the trouble with booting the PC while the cable is plugged in (with the phone connected). Maybe your computer is just detecting a fairly high-current device on USB and assuming that someone shorted out one of the USB ports (and therefore refusing to start).

14. OP
    OP
    Romen

Romen Member

I got a bluetooth thingie from Ebay coming for $26.50 so Yeah, good dea l :)
    100m range.

Ill let you know how it goes

15. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Okay just to confirm the DCU-11 DOES NOT come with an inbuilt charger, but has the facility to plug the charger into the same cable.

Just wanted to clear that one up.