Generic Fan vs Branded Fan

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by C.Y, Nov 23, 2021.

1. C.Y

C.Y Member

Hi All

I'm just looking at some fans and just wondering are branded fans just marketing hype if most factors are using the same base for comparison ??

EG:

Generic: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265249361067?hash=item3dc2180cab:g:fy4AAOSwAdlhBlsG&frcectupt=true
    Brand: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/54753/arctic-p12-pwm-pst-120mm-pressure-optimised-fan-5-pack

So I see that the Branded ones use better bearings (longer lasting / more quiet) ... but the Generic pumps out 18.2 CFM more (+32%) @ $10 cheaper (-28%)

Am I missing anything here in my thinking (from a functionality POV) ???

Thoughts ??

2. CRTified

CRTified Member

The short answer: the only way of knowing is to buy-and-try particular offerings.

Trouble with these sorts of dilemmas is the near total lack of scientific data as true basis for comparison.

Taking that lack to an extreme: Some are old enough to remember the plague of cheap audio speaker ratings in the 90's/early 2000's, e.g. "2300W PMPO output" on a set of little plastic boxes.

While fan ratings such as airflow and noise are not played with to such an extreme degree, there is still nothing even close to rigorous scientific consistency keeping the various in-house measurements truly comparable.

And given how any such commodity can be sourced from 100 different budget sellers (on ebay, AliExpress, etc) - each possibly with their own ever so slightly different version or revision - any true oversight of the scene is lost, and trial-and-error in exchange for trivial cost becomes the only reliable rule.

3. power

power Member

you need to experience shit fans to truly appreciate how good a decent branded one is.

like anything most generics promise the world and under-deliver on everything they claim to do.

4. Green Apple

Green Apple Member

I used to cheap out on fans for a long time.

I realised down the line that good fans are so considerably better long term, paired with the fact I was never replacing or getting rid of fans because they lasted so long, and because fan technology hasn’t/doesn’t really improve drastically enough over the years to warrant throwing out what you have for the newest and greatest.

An example are noctuas designs, A lot of their designs, they’re still roughly the same as they were when they were developed, changes have been made and adopted particularly in the materials science side but they’re roughly the same.

But price doesn’t always = better, that’s been universally true for as long as time. At what middle ground you’re willing to settle to comes to you, most people just want low noise and performance with cheap fans you pick one. You can still find great examples of top tier fans in the budget that have both though in the budget category if you forego the rgb and certain bling, fans like the arctic p12 and their brothers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Sankari likes this.
  5. Sunder

Sunder Member

Maybe. Even assuming generic fans which don't gave brand reputation to protect are giving out truthful ratings, it doesn't look like you've considered static pressure or noise. Might also want to consider whether it is pwm controlled or voltage controlled.

There will be other differences that contribute to the above such as mounting hardware (better fans use rubber mounts to absorb vibration) and things like double adaptors, low noise adaptors, and daisy chaining connectors.

It's really not for anyone to tell you whether a branded fan is worth it or not. Some people would happily pay way more than $10 to have their PC they might use 12 hours a day go from annoying to quiet. Or quiet to silent. Other people might not see the benefit. Likewise, having your PC a bit cooler might matter to you, or it might not, if temps are already low.

In my opinion, there's very little difference between the top fans. But there's a world of difference between a good fan and a shit one. Unfortunately you can never tell what an unbranded one is until you buy it.

6. OP
    OP
    C.Y

C.Y Member

You guys / gals raise good points ... and it looks like the "marketing data" is dependent on how the tests were conducted. Thanks for your input

Looks like i'll go the Artic P12 PWM route. They are always on sale on Ozbargain and i've not seen a bad word about them.

Sankari and Elmf like this.
  7. Elmf

Elmf Member

Great choice. I've got 5 sitting here simply as spares, that's how much I like them compared to their cost, haha.

8. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I'm with Elmf, at $45 for 5 there simply isn't anything even remotely close to as good as the P12 and I'd take CFM and dba ratings with a grain of salt on any PC fan.

I actually need a 140 and 120 for my girls machine. I too should have just bought 5 packs of both for stock lol.

Elmf likes this.
  9. Sankari

Sankari Member

You can't cheap out on fans. My son's Armaggeddon case came with generic fans, and they were bloody horrible. Poor airflow, huge amount of noise, outrageous vibration.

I replaced them with some Noctuas, and the difference was like night and day.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  10. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It's also worth pointing out that any case fan which comes with a case and cannot be purchased seperately (ie. in a retail pack), is usually a generic piece of crap. Even companies like Corsair will place a generic piece of crap as a rear fan so don't be fooled into thinking just because it has a brand name sticker that it is any good.

Sankari likes this.
  11. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Well depending on your application and your need, yes good fans often comes with bettering bearings such as double ball/good FDB that would last a long time however you do need to consider the diminishing return on getting better fans such as Noctua fans (they are good but I think they are overpriced). ID Cooling is not a generic brand but is an well known cooler OEM in China so hardly a generic brand.

The fans you quoted ID Cooling one is likely airflow focused and the Arctic one is air pressure focused (ideal for radiators), my suggestion is pick base on your need (for case airflow or radiators),if your demand is silence with all around performance I am afraid you need to pay up for premium fans like the one from Noctua.

12. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

The P12 are technically their "staic pressure focused" line but do function beautifully as case fans. They really are very good all rounders and not that far of some of the Noctuas in many respects. Look nicer too.

13. OP
    OP
    C.Y

C.Y Member

Sweet .. that’s good to know they have some kind of reputation. They were $7 at the time I posted (thus being $10 cheaper for 5 pack than the Arctic) but they seem to be back up to $15 each now. Neither are on sale atm :(

I don’t care about noise or RGB .. I just want a fan that works. I even had a desk fan blowing into my system at one stage :lol:

All up I have 13 ( 6 out / 5 in + 2 in the GPU) in the system … so def overkill … but hey .. why not :p

DarkSnipa likes this.
  14. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

You monster :upset::lol:. I won't put anything in my PC unless it's almost silent. I only run 3X intake and 1X exhaust.

Sankari and Elmf like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    C.Y

C.Y Member

I have 2 kids ... 4 & 6 ... noise becomes irrelevant after a while :D

16. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

You guys obviously didn't live in the days of 6800rpm Delta 60mm fans.

they are the reason I can't hear a lot (also motorbikes), besides tinnitus

17. Zee

Zee Member

Noctua fans pretty much made the difference between what sounded like a jet engine, and what now sounds like a gentle breeze somewhere over the hills.

Z...

Sankari likes this.
  18. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Oh I remember haha. I had a Globalwin FOP cooler with the 6800RPM delta and a rheostat hooked up to try tone it down when not gaming on my old Thunderbird. I have just gone soft in my old age.

spankyofoz likes this.
  19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They reduced the noise on my NVR considerably also. Great fans.