Genshin Impact

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Revenger, Sep 29, 2020.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Yeah that's a strange comment.. plenty of huge singleplayer experiences that aren't freemium...

Maybe tunnel vision looking at COD and Fifa...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  2. connico

connico Member

Japanese popular culture is a huge market in China which as come about in the last 2 decades. You find now that popular culture is cross polinated across the asia region. The Anime style isnt new but miHoYo started from an anime club in Shanghai (One of the larger universities, dont remember which one), one of the lead art developers is actually from melbourne.

The developer has been in business for about a decade and employ approx. 400 full time staff and contracts twice that number.

From what I understand from friends and colleagues in the mobile game industry, they are a tier 2 developer in China, they've lack the titles and revenue but this may change with this title. They apparently have a much fairer approach with pay to win and pay wall events etc which many like. There base is pretty strong and there art work is a hit amonst otakus.

There main titles have been (those that i know of);
    Honkai Impact
    Gun Girlz
    Date a Live
    And ofcourse Genshin Impact.

Genshin impact is developed in Unity which is cross platform and widely support. You'd prob know more about the Unity engine then me. Its an impressive engine and it has a fair few titles under its belt

iMomOx3 and elvis like this.
  3. rbialek

rbialek Member

No I'd says it's more the likes of looking at the vast majority of AAA games releasing lately.

Hell even BotW has a season pass, Pokemon has optional subscription services, Assassin's Creed is "Ubisofted", MMOs are ladended with cash shops/sub services, EA is just EA, Blizzard has gone down a similar path, the list goes on.

I love my Indies and the few larger Devs still sticking to their guns, but being real that's a small portion lately. Larian and CDPR are probably my 2 favourite Devs, but even they aren't completely exempt. Gwent for example, which by nature needs "loot-boxes".

I don't like the fact is lead that way, again I'm not defending it, just stating that's how it is.

And I will say, for Genshin Impact, I am playing it completely free. I'm about 30-40 hours in and enjoying it quite a lot.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Fascinating, cheers for that!

5. connico

connico Member

Only reason why I know a little more than what is available online is because I was asked to help with a due diligence for a VC and Gaming developer. Genshin Impact took 3 years to develop, its actually surpassed its initial forecast of 10million users and $50 million in revenue in 6 months.

6. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Apparently cost $100m to make? it's estimated they've broke $50m in the first week. 17 million downloads on mobile. They're going to see good returns if they can maintain momentum, most other gacha games don't even come close to the scope of this game.

7. connico

connico Member

Closer to a $150m USD to get to market. I'm going to estimate it will average $50m USD a month as it matures. I don't it will exceed the 100m a month AFK Arena, PUBG and Honor or Kings generates for each game a month but time will tell

8. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Mobile variant sucks. I have it installed but I can't play on it at all - controls are too hard for me. I keep it on my mobile to do my weapons/artifact upgrades when I'm chilling in bed. That way I save the fighting/exploring time for when I'm at the PC to maximize.

9. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Started on mobile and switched to PC. Like you, found controls difficult. Had to find myself a GPU as gave son my GTX670 (he only plays Mine Craft and Fortnite @ 1050 res). Did find a GTX970 so that is going nicely in my system. I told my wife the last time I was into a game like this was 9 years ago when I built my rig in my sig!

10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Looks like one of the better f2p games like path of exile in terms of lack of pay walls.

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Tried it last night abit on the phone. Seems ok. Will give it a go on the PC today too.

12. MrBS

MrBS Member

I've been using mobile to smash a couple challenge rooms out on the way to work to keep my resin down and to check dispatches. All the main gaming happening on PC at home.

13. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Nearly at AR18, can't say I'm a huge fan of grinding AR's out to progress the story, if people want to explore they'll explore, no reason to force it IMO. There's plenty enough to do in the world.

Really wouldn't mind pulling Diluc at some point. I've got Amber and Xianling and not a huge fan of their play style, Diluc felt like a heap of fun the brief time I got to play him as part of the story quest. Pretty happy with everyone else element wise, guess this is how they get you though :Pirate:

14. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Diluc is pretty much a S tier hero along with venti the bard. Odds of pulling him are pretty low given you need 90 wishes to get a 5 star hero and there's quite a big pool of 5 star heros from that package.

Pushed up to AR 23 which is progressing the story into the liyue area. Pretty impressed with the story, visuals and game play for a freemium game. It'll be interesting to see if the devs start adding more content as paid dlc as well or just stick with the battle pass and mtx.

15. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

So I stopped doing quests for a while and spent the last 6-8hrs of gameplay dedicated to geoculus hunting and have finally completed them all. I will admit I cheated for the last 10 Geo's as I burnt myself out scaling the mountains of liyue... I'm impressed I done 120 of them blindly but at that stage I didn't want to scan over areas for a 2nd/3rd time so I used the interactive map which mind you, I still had to go over to several locations thinking "have I found this or not?" So took about 30 locations to find the remaining 10.

AR32. Razor is max level, talent, 2nd constellation and 4star weapon maxed to level 40, and all 4 star artifacts focusing on damage only at level 16 each. His total ATK is 1100.

Second DPS and elemental bursts mixture comes from my fischl, level 50 with various items ascended etc and a 4 star now pulling about 900dmg. Comes out for her bird E skill and dps auto left click when I need to kite certain mobs or hit weak points on some bosses.

Xiangliang as support damage as she's really only out for her ulti then back to razor providing overcharge. She's also level 50 but I have a lack of good polearm weapons so she's got a 3 star refined 4. Does okay damage at 600.

4th I tend to rotate between Kaeya and recently pulled Venti (for free) I finally got a good pull. Mind you I've done about 70 total wishes all free given the amount of primogems I've accumulated up to AR32. Both are level 50. Again, these guys only come out for their skills then it's auto switched back to razor to Frontline.

The only character I want/need is Qiqi. She will provide the Cryo for superconduct buff with razor and fischl, her E is basically kaeyas' Q, and she is a very good healer from the videos I've seen. She would fit perfect with my core 3 as above.

I've become quite the genshin guy amongst my group of mares and have spent all day today just watching the guys stream on discord asking me how to build teams, what items to ascend and artifact recommendations. Good fun and allowed me to relax off the game a bit today ahah.

Tomorrow I'll jump back onto the story quests as I've done all the 'oculuses.

16. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Xiangliang is pretty boss for killing slimes in trials with the black tassel pole arm...refined Max lvl gives 80% extra dmg to slimes.

Diluc is pretty monster with his e setting up combos. He's basically the fire version of Noelle with q ultimate up on steroids. Great against packs of low tier mobs. Mages not so much.

Noelle is still a good solid tank....guaranteed pull with your first 10 wishes. Her combo of e and q is pretty devastating early on.

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

For a "free" game, this is pretty good. There are tons of content, the sync between platform works great. Log out of phone and continue seamlessly on PC. The control definitely designed for console though. Works ok on PC but can be tedious on phone at times. Especially trying to aim with bow. Only AR 11 so plenty of things I haven't seen yet.

18. connico

connico Member

That's some good draw distance

Attached Files:

19. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Noelle is great to begin with I found I was focusing only on using her until recently.

Barbara's drop rates are up currently it seems, I pulled 4 of her and have 1 from the level 20 so 5 in total, got the constellation up a bit.

Been doing waypoints and looking today will do the story more tomorrow.

iMomOx3 likes this.
  20. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

So have given this a bit of a go, only AR9 at the moment but so far having fun. Definitely getting BotW vibes as other people have mentioned. Also keen for switch release so I can play it on the go.