Get a 3DS XL now or wait for next console?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by shiny1, Oct 23, 2013.

1. shiny1

shiny1 Member

No idea what the current scene is. Girlfriend is thinking about getting one, and trusts me to get a good deal (none yet). Not sure if there is any talk of a new generation to come out soon that would supercede the current XL.

I'm going to Japan end of this year. Wondering if they use a totally different system to Australia. Any advice? Thanks.

2. B3ND3R

B3ND3R Member

the 2ds has only just came out, at a guess there will be a while before the 4ds or whatever it will be called.

3. afcca

afcca Member

It will be quite a while for the next one to come out I think. I've just gone from a 3DS to an XL and loving the change

4. Elfanger

Elfanger (Banned or Deleted)

Now is a good time to get the 3DS XL. Btw, if you buy from Japanese it will be region locked to Japanese games. So check all that before making your purchase.

5. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Yep, now is a very good time to pick up a 3ds. It's a had a killer year in terms of gaming.

They're region locked, you can't buy one in japan and play games bought here. Regions are divided up between EU,US and JP. You can grab a console from the EU and it'll work here (this is what I've done).

No talk of next gen, it'll probably be at least another 2-3 years before a successor is announced.

6. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

I just bought my second 3DS XL lol, the zelda limited edition one. I don't think we'll see a replacement for at least a year, most likely a fair bit more, I reckon 2-3 years like above.

I never sell my second hand consoles, I keep them forever haha, but if you plan on selling when upgrading, consider grabbing one of the special edition XL's, will probably hold value better, particularly the zelda one..and it comes with zelda ;)

7. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

It's a shame the new zelda 3DS doesn't include zelda, or a charger like the others.

I don't see the point of selling a game themed one without the game, or at the least a charger. I was planning on getting this untill the page of:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

So I was waiting for a limited edition New 3DS XL as an excuse to buy one.

Wake up at midday due to being a pro uni student on break.

Open email on phone in bed...see this:
    [​IMG]

Remembering how quickly they sold out last time, my brain immediately switched to panic mode.

Luckily I have done heaps of practice jumping out of bed getting up and grabbing shotgun etc in case of home invasion, that was put to the test today when I jumped up and instead grabbed wallet and jumped on computer.

[​IMG]

:D :D :D :D

DELICIOUS :D

Seems to have sold out extremely quickly!

9. power

power Member

I've basically put off buying a 3DS because there are too many versions.

10. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I was thinking the same for the new version. Wasn't going to get it until a special edition or a bundle for a game I really want. Queue the excitement of my inner zelda fanboy. Ordered a Majoras Mask one. They're both selling out very quickly.

AFAIK: Neither actually includes their respective game, I don't think. I've ordered a copy of MM anyway. Despite my intention to never preorder games. Zelda is different though.

11. D.Frost

D.Frost Member

Yeah get a 3DS XL (best to get the New one). I just upgraded at Christmas (after using the original 3DS) and just the screen increase is great. Plus my fingers don't cramp as much as they used to.

I was pretty annoyed about the MM limited edition though; heard it was announced in the morning, came home from work and they were already sold out. :thumbdn:

12. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

The Games Men had it for $249.95 (same as elsewhere pretty much)

but there was same day/next day shipping for $12.50 and a discount code on ozbargain for $5 off.

That was this morning when I told a friend to get one, now it's saying sold out.

13. xsive

xsive Member

My local JB let me preorder the MM console and game this morning. They must have store-specific allocations as their website says sold out.

14. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Could be, I was reading earlier about similar happening in the US with some major stores having separate allocations for online vs in-store.

15. addem

addem Member

Edit: googled it lol

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016