Getting data off iPad with no/broken screen

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MonoJoker, May 22, 2019.

1. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Have an iPad Air 2 which had a badly smashed screen so the owner removed it, bought the wrong replacement and now just wants to cut their losses and get the photos off it. Problem is when i connect it to their Mac it says it hasn't been connected to that computer before so I need to confirm the trust this computer message on the iPad before I can get it to sync/interact with iTunes.

There's no other computer which it has been synced to (I'm told) so is there any way to rescue the data?

I've tried iFunbox and another product I found by googling but both required that I confirm something onscreen before being able to read the data and retrieve it.

Is there a product out there that will do it? Thanks.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

can you input to it with an external keyboard? if so could someone tell you what to press? i had this once where there was no display someone posted what to input and i could do it blind

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

4. FOTW

FOTW Member

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Kinda the same but different problem for me if anyone can advise.

I've inherited a G3 and a G4 from a customer. The tiny (8GB and 12GB) drives are IDE.
    Both machines wouldn't recognise any USB drives in order for me to remove her data, even after I've formatted the drives in HFS and HFS+. I decided I'd try to remove the data without the OS, using Linux to simply open the folders and copy the data via USB to another drive, so I've ordered a new IDE to USB adapter (I used to have one but can't find it). This works with Windows computers but I've never tried with Apples. Am I on the right track here or will I need another method? Will Linux recognise the data, or will the Apple formats get in the way?

6. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

OS 9 should be able to read FAT32 formatted USB drives.

7. clonex

clonex Member

is it possible to log into icloud and initiate a backup? My air2 screen is buggered but all i did was turn it on and plugged into a charger and it synced em thru wifi automatically then just logged into icloud services to retrieve the photos.

8. OP
    OP
    MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Stupid question time. I now have an external display adapter so can see an image onscreen via hdmi. However I can’t see how I’m going to connect the BT mouse as that still needs some way to interact with the screen to get into settings and pair it?

Help! :)

9. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

10. OP
    OP
    MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

No luck, I can see the Ipad in Itunes but not in iExplorer and when I reconnect as per the instructions it asks me to trust the computer again.

Looks like it's cactus. Anyone know why iPad Air 2 is so expensive for screen replacements vs lower models? Last price I saw at a shopping centre was $449...

11. newtosystems

newtosystems Member

I had the same issue with an iphone. I had to pay for a replacement screen put in just so i could take photos off the device. they were mainly photos of my kids so it was a no brainer to pay. then sold it off to regain some loses.

12. OP
    OP
    MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Tomorrow I'll try swapping screens with his working Air 2 (hope it's an Air 2!) and do it that way. Last resort screens are ~$250 on ebay so that's still an option. Cheers.

13. Queenie

Queenie Member

14. Queenie

Queenie Member

reason the screen is 400 is because of some hard as shit to make patented screws and connectors, and they just don't make them. It's like trying to find parts for a car that is the direct opposite of a Toyota Corolla.

Also, on OP trying to take the screen off the iPad and switch them around, this isn't like an iPhone, you need a heat gun and to unseat the screen without breaking the glass or LCD.

Didn't check post history of OP but it's a rookie mistake I made first time I tried replacing an iPad screen and realised it is -very- different.

Good luck OP.

MonoJoker likes this.