1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Naked ADSL2+ with inactive phone line

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Eggbert69, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Eggbert69

Eggbert69 Member

I have a current phone line in my apartment but nothing connected to it (ie no phone line or internet). I want to get a naked ADSL internet connection put in place.

So far I've discovered I have to call 12 72 21 23 or 1800 801920 to find out my number and then call the internet company I want (TPG) to organise the naked ADSL to go on. After this I think I have to wait up to 20days for the internet to be connected.

Is this everything I should expect from the process or are there hidden things that will stump me along the way to 120gb internet goodness?

2. caspian

caspian Member

if the line has a dial tone then that's all you should need to do. of course, provisioning is still dependant on your phone line being ADSL capable (no pair gains) and your ISP having their ADSL gear in your exchange.

if the line has no dial tone, then most ISPs will insist you connect the line first so it's easier and cheaper for them to convert. this will incur some additional costs for you.

3. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

TPG are lazy and as such don't use the processes in place to connect up a inactive phone line.

They expect you to connect with Telstra first, who will charge a connection fee, prorated line rental and a $100 early disconnection fee.

4. uberbanzai

uberbanzai Member

Why do you have to go through telstra. Naked = No line rental ?

5. stringthis

stringthis Member

Yeah i had to do the same thing when i wanted my naked plan with Exetel.

Didn't want to pay the early disconnection fee from Telstra though, so went with a bring your own phoneline plan with exetel with the plan to change to naked after 3 months. But now i just can't be bothered.

6. Dave91

Dave91 (Banned or Deleted)

tpg - [​IMG]

7. leighr

leighr Member

ADSL requires a copper pair from the Exchange to your house. While mechanisms exist for an ISP to request the copper pair to be installed/activated, most just find it easier to get the customer to sign up with Telstra to get the copper installed.

It moves all the hassles/fees to the end user, to cut down on costs/effort on behalf of the ISP.

8. avachat

avachat Member

I think this is slightly inaccurate as TPG will connect you through Soul. Yes there is a connection fee but once your connected and your naked DSL is operational (providing you can access naked dsl)they will disconnect your line without charge.

9. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

That may be a way around the problem, but...

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/ull_pricing.php

10. caspian

caspian Member

yes, but Telstra will bill you for the early termination of the PSTN service.

11. MiGiSHu

MiGiSHu Member

Montreal, Canada ePenis Size: Whoppingly Large
    I'm glad this thread came along because I'm in the same situation. I'm living in shared accommodation with an inactive phone line, and I don't want to have to sign up with a PSTN just to have it disconnected. It's absolutely ridiculous that they won't do it.

Does it have to be with Telstra? Is there a cheaper alternative?

To my landlord, who doesn't want a PSTN attached internet connection, if we can get this as cheap as possible, the better.

12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Isn't the $100 early disconnection fee a Telstra Retail charge, not Telstra Wholesale, thus resellers such as Soul may not pass along the charge?

Sign up with an ISP that will activate an inactive line. iiNet is one of them as is Internode (I think).

13. caspian

caspian Member

I'm sure I saw a post the other day on whingepool from someone who had tried a connect-and-convert via a wholesale provider and the provider passed the charge onto them. apparently the provider was rather surprised too!

I can't see why it wouldn't apply to providers as well, as otherwise there would be little reason for implementing the rule. the only possibility I can think of is it may be taking some time to implement with each provider as their contractual renewals come up.

14. r4n

r4n Member

I am in this exact situation, and have decided it is not worth the hassle of connecting/disconnecting a telstra line just to get 20GB of extra data a month with TPG. Honestly i found the sales person quite rude when i asked for more information about getting my ADSL hooked up, and why i need to connect to telstra first.

I'm going with netspace, i lose 20GB a month but theres no mucking about.

(EDIT: I don't really count offpeak as allowance :p)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  15. TriMe

TriMe Member

Most ISP's will sign you up for naked ADSL on a non provisioned phone line to a household of any sort.

The biggest catch is that the Telstra's Subcontracted Tradies will only provision the naked ADSL line up to the MDF (main distribution frame) of the apartment block or aka NBP (Network Boundary Point).

In this case you are required to call your ISP and ask them for the Copper Pair details in the MDF / NBP so that you can organize your own Certified Technician to come and wire the phone line to the rest of the Copper.

Now the last time i got a tech out for some work at my place was 6 months ago and the call out fee is $110, + $48.65 for running of a new phone cable.

Total of $158.65

The best thing about what i did was; i get a brand new un-twisted copper pair line from the MDF / NBP to where ever i wanted in my house and its not going to be damaged in anyway as its brand new, any home phone cable that's older than 10 Years is going to start getting on its last legs.

To avoid the above that i have mentioned you are required to sign up to Telstra for a home phone service as 99% of the time they will provision the service to the first socket in the residence, Hence if the tech has connected you to the correct X and C Pair at the exchange then no matter what you will have ADSL Sync when you sign up to a Naked Service.

You Can sign up to other service providers for your home phone, although there are similarities with that as well. Depending on certain ISP's you might find it cheaper to join Telstra as other providers might be making some small profit of the sign up cost's.

Because this is Telstra that you would sign up with its under their high priority to look after their customers first and therefor you will get any problem sorted quicker than if you were to go through an external provider and getting them to deal with Telstra Wholesale.

Hope this helps, If anyone here has any more questions for me please feel free to ask.

16. iiNet PeteF

iiNet PeteF New Member

If you connect up a line with telstra for the purposes of Naked DSL, and disconnect it within 3 months, a $100 charge will be incurred from telstra retail.

This being said, some providers (such as iiNet) can connect the line on your behalf (no connection charge OR early cancellation from telstra, providing the line has dialtone).

If there is no dialtone on the line, additional work will be required to connect the line, either at a cost of $299.00 for a new installation, or in some cases, $125.00 for a technician visit.

Once the line is connected, we can offer free setup if you rent one of our modems at $9.95 per month rather than an upfront cost.

Feel free to give our sales team a call on 13 19 17 for some more information.

:)

17. MiGiSHu

MiGiSHu Member

Montreal, Canada ePenis Size: Whoppingly Large
    I wouldn't mind going with iiNet, but I have 2 problems

1) Charged uploads. To me, this makes absolutely no sense, especially in this day and age.
    2) 24 month contract. My landlord doesn't want to sign up for anything more than 12 months, even then.

My only real choice, if my landlord will permit it (doesn't want a phone line active at all), is to do the Telstra trick. Besides, if I do the Telstra trick, it'll probably end up costing less after 12 months than signing up with iiNet for 12 months.

18. r4n

r4n Member

Yep, after being told by netspace that they cannot deliver naked dsl2+ to my apartment (optus dslam was out of ports :(), i called up internode who offered to set everything up for me. $59 to set up an internode active connection, with no cancellation fee, then a $79 charge to set up the adsl on a 24 month contract. A bit more expensive than netspace was offering me, but i am happy not to have to muck about with telstras charging scheme.

Hopefully there wont be any extra charges (Line has a soft dialtone etc... so im not too worried.)

19. TriMe

TriMe Member

See Internode do 24month contracts, but it works like this.

- 24Months - No Sign Up Fee ($129 Waved)

- Leave in the first 12Months the exit fee is $199

- Leave after the first 12Months or Before 24 Months the exit fee is $99

So as long as you stay with Internode for at least 12Months then you are still saving money.

Secondly, If you move house and take Internode with you to the next house the 12month contract still applies and you don't have to restart it and you don't have to pay an Exit Fee as you are actually still saying with node and just relocating.

Not too sure if iiNet work the same way?