Getting signal from turntable to amp

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by srey, Jun 27, 2021.

1. srey

srey Member

I'm at a bit of a loss here, so thought I'd see if anyone has any great ideas.

I've just moved into a new apartment, and it's great ,apart from the fact the showerhead is only like 5’ 9" (?!), and that the furniture layout means that the cabinet my turntable lives on is now on the opposite side of the living area to the AV can with my amp.

The setup is a rega p1 with a Vincent phono amp sitting together, and I was previously running the line level RCA from there to the big ol Denon 4520 in the av cab.

Now, there's a hallway opening between them and no easy way I can figure to run the interconnect around it or across it.

Is there anything on the market now in a high quality wireless Rx/TX setup that is actually worth considering for this? Or is the concept of converting this signal to digital and back before the amp just silly?

I really don't think I can fit the turntable over near the amp, and buying a second amp and speaker set to put four feet away from my current set is also not an idea that is going to get up in this household I expect.

Really hoping theres some awesome solution I just don't know about, someone please help!

2. nico6

nico6 Member

Ages ago I had a wireless Composite AV sender which did the job for TV, doing audio Rx/Tx of stereo. Not too sure if it would be acceptable for hi-fi use, but these things do exist and there is probably better tech these days. Search Jaycar and the likes.

There are also cable conduits for floor runs, but may not achieve 'approval'

PS Fixing that showerhead is first priority, though :lol:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  3. connico

connico Member

Might be way to expensive for you but we use something Alto Stealth Wireless for events and gigs when we cannot run cabling.

4. OP
    OP
    srey

srey Member

Haha, the alto would be almost as much as my TT and phono! Would be pretty amusing to use a pro grade long range solution in order to get a signal across a 1m hallway too. :)

Thanks guys, guess I keep thinking about how I can get the cable over there. Maybe it is just a matter of getting it all the way up the wall, across the ceiling and back down again, all in some corner conduit stuff.

5. stiben

stiben Member

It looks like the Denon 4520 supports AirPlay, so you could try and find an AirPlay transmitter.

I had a quick look and this is harder than it should have been, one option which came up is the MartinLogan Unison.

6. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Hmm I dont know if this will cut your expectations with sound but you can chuck a bluetooth transmitter on the turntable and send it to the amp. If the amp doesnt have bluetooth you can get bluetooth receivers too. Same type of dongle even, just set whether you want it to transmit or receive with a press of a button.

7. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

It might not be pretty, but can you just run an RCA lead across the top of the opening along the cornice or ceiling?

8. pezzy

pezzy Member

you cant fit a new cabinet/rack where you can just stack everything?

run the cable on the floor and cover it with a rug :p?

9. OP
    OP
    srey

srey Member

Haha, all valid options! Bluetooth I really want to try and avoid, if I'm transmitting the TT signal over bluetooth I may as well just stream digital versions of the same album, would much rather keep the signal as intact as possible. Although, a big part of the vinyl for me is the physical process of putting on the record, how much better the system actually sounds than digital, I don't really know.

I've considered the rug option too, but I don't think it's gonna fly. Leading option at this stage is running the cable up the wall, across the ceiling to get over the hall way entry, then back down to the amp. The RCAs are some long ones I made using some nice canare coax which is pretty slim and easy to work with, and there's actually a little shadow line rebate at the edge of the ceiling. Not sure if I have enough decent looking stick on conduit at the moment but if I can get some reasonably subtle stuff to run up the wall I think that will look OK. I'll be sure to update with progress!