Getting started with Protools?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by fleetfeather, Mar 17, 2018.

1. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Hi all,

Back when I was in undergrad, I took a handful of digital music course that taught students how to use ProTools for creating and mixing electronic music. I remember having a blast during these courses, and uploaded a handful of my assignments to MySpace Music and Soundcloud (which I will definitely not be linking here haha...), and my performance in these courses actually ended up carrying my GPA for entry into completely unrelated courses.

Anywho, fast forward close to ten years, and I was looking to get back into ProTools as a hobby... pending the financial outlay that is involved. This is where I'm feeling a bit lost, because all my previous experience in ProTools involved me using the pre-exisitng digital music rooms on the uni campus - I didn't really pay attention to all the hardware and software costs. My understanding is, I'll need:

- Avid Protools (the DAW)
    - An Mbox
    - anything else to get up and running?

I figure I should start with a basic setup, and depending how into I get, I can add more hardware to the setup. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

2. shino

shino Member

there are different mboxes now. cheaper and different.

3. Boneman

Boneman Member

Do you specifically want to use Protools as your DAW? If you just wanna try it out use Reaper, its free and if you want to unlock it very cheap. The audio interface is always about how much you can afford, and how many instruments you will be recording at the same time, so if its just you and a VST Instrument you may only need to buy a simple low-level piece of gear.

4. OP
    OP
    fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

You've piqued my interest. New mbox units under a different brand name, or just more variants of third gen mbox units? If it's the former, what are the drawbacks to the cheaper options?

Yeah, would like to stick specifically with Protools if it ends up being feasible :)

5. shino

shino Member

mbox ...by digidesign... There are other options. expensive and cheap... look them up

fleetfeather likes this.
  6. broccoli

broccoli Member

I got an (older) mbox from the cash converters and it came with a (cutdown) version of protools. Depending on what you need, you might be able to get it/something very cheaply.

7. OP
    OP
    fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

That's kind of my thinking - I just don't know what else I need (if anything) other than those two elements :)

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, I'm no expert (far from it) but I think that's it, you just need the interface to have the right "plugholes" for what you want to plug in. I just wanted to mess about with my guitar so that's all I needed. As with computers, you don't need much to "get started", it's when you know how to use it that you find out/think that you need something "better".
    Maybe if you give some detail as to what instruments you want to use and browse some of the available units for something in your price range, you can get some feedback (not from me, I know nothing :D) on a particular model as to whether it'll do what you want.

9. shino

shino Member

garageband is free with ipad/mac

10. jakes

jakes Member

what does cubase offer that protools and reaper (?) and others dont?