1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting the best audio out of my HTPC

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by roweysvn, Oct 18, 2010.

1. roweysvn

roweysvn Member

Hi guys

Have a HTPC as seen below and I'm hoping you can clear something up for me.

Currently I have the video running from the onboard HDMI out into my tv, and an optical lead from my tv to my Logitech z5500's.

I was thinking of getting a HD4350 and possibly a soundcard to make things a little nicer. But I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it, or even the best method for setting it up.

The z5500's say the following for input

Currently I have it hooked up to my 32" Samsung LCD, the TV itself has VGA input aswell as 2x HDMI. So would I be best to just keep the setup as is, and use the optical cable?

My understanding is that if I were to get a soundcard, I'd need to then use the analogue connection from the back of the card to the z5500's. Would I then need to use the VGA input for video? Or can I still use the HDMI cable?

2. Fishface

Fishface Member

The issue with the present setup is that the TV will probably not pass dolby digital out of the optical port and you will only get stereo.

The prefered way is to connect the optical from HTPC to the Logitechs.

I see no point in getting a sound card, it would be a step backwards as most do not support the new HD audio formats.

The point of the i3 is the integrated HD graphics, unless you are using it for gaming there is no need to upgrade the GPU.

If you want an upgrade you are better off bying an AV receiver that supports audio on HDMI with DTS master and Dolby trueHD. And some real speakers.

3. charles321

charles321 Member

Hey guys, just going to Hijack(sorry) the thread as there is no real point in starting a new one for the exact same question, I currently pass Video via an old video card HDMI, and sound comes from the 3.5mm plug into the TV as the video card doesn't output sound.

I want to boost the audio I get which comes purely from TV speakers(samsung series 5) which is fairly bad. My plan is to buy a new GPU (5450HD) which will pass sound via HDMI, then purchase a semi decent Home theatre system(Samsung 5.1 ~$600) and output audio that way, is this a good plan or can someone point me in the right direction, i have no optical outputs on the Motherboard either, the only way would be via a soundcard and I have no PCI-E port free either.

Cheers
    Charles

4. Fishface

Fishface Member

Everthing will be fine provided the HT system accepts sound over HDMI.

Some cheap ones are just HDMI passthrough and expect sound via optical.

5. hollinssam

hollinssam Member

if you want good sound quality and dont need the extra dvd/blu-ray player buy an amp and speaker pack, not a home theathre system
    they can be more expensive but the difference in quality is totally worth it
    currently i output audio/video via hdmi from my laptop to my tv then optical back to my amp and still get surround spound, perfect for mkvs etc
    (it would be better to go straight to amp but i only have two hdmi in (blu-ray and xbox))