Getting the house Networked

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by lonewolf77, Jul 29, 2016.

1. lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Hey guys,

I just got my house cabled / networked. As in I got 5 rooms in my house connected with Cat6A cabling. I had bought a roll of it so i basically got 2 rooms with 3 Cat6A cables and the other 3 rooms with 2 Cat6A cables. I was advised to go for multiple cables per room as it opens up options in the future and also for some AV HDMI transmitting systems, i think they need dedicated LAN cables and sometimes 2 per HDMI..

Anyway i had a couple of queries. One was how much should all this have cost, I provided the Cat6A cabling but the electrician provided the jacks / ports and also the accessories to keep it looking clean and attached to the walls and not just loose cable all over the house. My house was very badly done as in its brick and rendering but no gyprock, so he had to basically drill through the walls and attach cables on the outside etc and then cover them all up with pipes type stuff.

Anyway all up he charged i think around 1300-1400$. Is that about right? Sounded like a lot to me? Also due to the Cat6A cabling being too thick, he had to basically strip the cable and for the last parts of the connections he had to attach a Cat5E cable (only about 20cm) just so i can have them with jacks, as none of the jacks he found would fit the Cat6A cable. So that took time too i guess but at the same time i am pretty sure if he knew more about it he could probably have found the right jacks or a simpler system and hence not taken up as much of his time.

The other query i had was I have a 48 port switch in the main room that has all the cables coming to it from around the house. But what i did try last night was to connect the 2 cables that are in the living room (which also has the Modem / Router for my ADSL2 connection) to my switch from my Asus 68u router. It would just not work. Basically it works with one cable attached but once i attach both cables at the same time from my router to my HP switch, it seems to come up with a lot of lost packets / connection links dropping etc etc. Am I not able to have one switch on one end with 2 or 3 cables attached all going to another switch? Or should it always only be one cable from one switch to another. Otherwise it gets confused with the same packets going over multiple cables to the other switch? I just thought it might be smart enough to share the cables / speed etc ?

2. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

I have no idea what he has done attaching a bit of 5e at the socket end, how did he connect the wires? Sounds dodgy.

The cost could be right, brick houses are difficult to work in, how long did it take him? The jacks and wall plates are about $5-8 each so that would add to the cost.

You cannot connect 2 switches connected by 2 cables without aggregation or spanning tree, look up broadcast storm, connect only 1 cable between switches.

3. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Bugger, I thought the switches would share the multiple cables to increase bandwidth between them.

He used these small plastic clear devices and stripped both the cables to attach them. He didnt put wall plates, maybe i should have done that.

4. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

They can. If the switch supports it.
    your HP Switch might. The router probably won't.

5. McRutch

McRutch Member

yeah sounds like he went full retard with the CAT6 + CAT5 joining..

6. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

Sounds like a gel crimp, no wall plates? So there are just cables with plugs sticking out the wall? Sounds super dodgy and not worth $1400

7. davros123

davros123 Member

Hmm...and this was a registered cabler? I rest my case about this being anything othere than BS industry protectionism.

Have you paid him? Can you cancel it? That is super bad.

No, you got your house f*cked up.

Why did you not post here FIRST???

epic.

http://imgur.com/WG9tYJ6

http://imgur.com/peBp3ft

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  8. Renza

Renza Member

9. aL4n

aL4n Member

The job is not done correctly, and the price is high considering he didn't supply the cable/ and the job is not done to cabling standards. i would be reporting this guy

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  10. cvidler

cvidler Member

wow.:eek:

you deserve ALL your money back, and this guy lose his license. that's outright fraudulent.

the cable is twisted (to very specific ratios) for a reason, can't just unwrap it willy-nilly and join it to non matching cable with joiners like that.

good luck getting anything like reliable connections through that mess.

11. aL4n

aL4n Member

That cable is siemons CAT6a, needs to be used with shielded jacks. With the scotch locks he has put on and not using the correct jacks theres going to be issues. It will work yeah but not to what is rated for.

AV hdmi over cat6 or cat6a you only need one data for it to work, yes back in the day you needed two but not now.

12. money_killer

money_killer Member

unless u test the install to a cat 5/6/6a spec with proper test equipment, u will not know what the install is rated to. but seems he put 5e jacks on it will be at least de-rated to that. and i would say that bloke is just an electrician not a data tech (licensed cabler). but yes u have been ripped off sorry

13. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Holy shit. After seeing the cost for that mess, is it had to set up networking diy? That is atrocious

14. callan

callan Member

That cabling job is truly magnificent - in the most ghastly of ways. I can't even....

Scotch locks on UTP (rattling loose & exposed), no coverplate (let alone panel) at the exit hole. Separation of pairs.

I don't as a rule do this, but...

[​IMG]

Callan

15. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

I am pretty sure he is a certified electrician as he seems to do a lot of construction jobs / new homes as well as all the electrician jobs he did in our renovations seemed to be fine. But yeah i get the feeling he has no idea about the networking side of things. I had falsely assumed that these days all electricians know it as well. When i asked him to do it, he didnt tell me that he didnt know how to do it etc, only half way through he did mention he didnt have the tools to put jacks on so will have to get them which surprised me....

16. trevor68

trevor68 Member

No, just no. There are sparky's who are great sparky's as that's what they do, then there data/network cablers.

Yes some do both, but more commonly you should expect to contract one or the other depending on the job.

At this point you should just rip all that out and call a cabler to do it properly, oh, and maybe learn to ask questions next time.

17. heydonms

heydonms Member

I doubt the scotch locks are cat5e rated :)

I reckon it would probably pass as Cat3.

I am normally all for cabling. Whenever I speak to someone about building a house, I make a big fuss about putting in cables and how wireless is rubbish. If I had a choice between using these cables, and using the wireless on a TP-Link router, I would have a hard timing deciding.

That is absolutely not fit for purpose, do not pay for it, complain everywhere, get a real cabling contractor in to fix it.

18. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I'm sorry to say that you got ripped off, OP. If you have any chance of getting your money back, take it, otherwise report the guy. By pretending to know what he's doing WRT data cabling he's committing outright fraud.

19. Gunna

Gunna Member

Wow, i'd be pissed and be asking for a refund. I'd also be asking him to provide a copy of his licence and reporting him if he can't provide it. He's preformed illegal work and charged you for it.

20. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

I havent paid yet, I just received the invoice for $1370.