SOLVED GFX card maybe the issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by thedirkdiggler, Feb 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. thedirkdiggler

thedirkdiggler Member

I was playing bf5 on a r290 amd w/c`ed card.

Screen goes blank. I thought I was a weird crash , so I turned off the pc and rebooted.

Screen blank. But it looks like windows boots because my g-15 keyboard needs windows to show stupid stuff on the screen, which it does. And if I hit the turn on button, my computer shuts down the way it normally would, if I turned it off that way.

Moved pc the garage ( this computer) and the same issue happen , so I would assume it is the gfx card.

But if a gfx card is not working would a pc boot to windows? Could it be a psu problem?

Also If I find ( I might have an old crappy gfx card that is not w/ced) or buy a 50 dollar one and put it in ( with the current card in) would that cause issue or blow something up.

I just don't want to break the tubing yet ( the pleasure of custom hard tube loop.)

I am trying to get a 100 per cent... yeah the gfx card is rooted ...or not.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. Perko

Perko Member

Does your CPU have an iGPU?

3. havabeer

havabeer Member

Yep try the on board graphics first if you have it. Other wise like graphics is most likely kaput.

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Caught between a rock and a hard place. You have probably no choice but to remove your GPU to test, which means upsetting your hard line cooling.

To eliminate the possibility of the GPU, you need either the onboard graphics or a GPU in a different spot. First you'll need to set whichever alternative you use as the default output, or the system will attempt to use your current GPU first.

In the BIOS..

Untitled 1.jpg

The problem being that you can't change the BIOS settings without a video output :lol:

Try the onboard anyway.. if you get lucky it is already on that option, but given that the default is the first GPU, the onboard may not work until you remove that GPU.

Of course, that is the FIRST display. If its not available, it will take anything else it can find, so.. after hooking into the onboard graphics, remove the power to the GPU then try to boot. This will set off a really screechy alarm and fail to boot, but you should also get an onscreen message telling you to connect power to the GPU, and it should let you into BIOS using the onboard output so you can change the GPU options.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  5. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

If no spare card:

Plug in the PC speaker.

Listen to beeps.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nah not going to blow anything up.

7. OP
    OP
    thedirkdiggler

thedirkdiggler Member

lol, how did I forget my 7700k and mobo has on board. Slams head into wall.

OK, when I plug the monitor into mobo, post like I thought it was.

Windows devices does not see the 290x at all.

So either it is dead. Or could the motherboard port be bad. It is sitting (290x ) in the computer with no power connected to it.

edit. Also in bios, it is still set to boot from the port that the 290x is in. Onboard second.

So I would assume 100 per cent gfx card gonski?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. Perko

Perko Member

It won't find it if it doesn't have the power cables connected. Maybe try to boot it with everything powered up, but with the monitor running off the on board, just to be sure.

Sounds like the GPU is cooked though.

9. FOTW

FOTW Member

How hard wired is the gpu any flex in the tubing? You might be able to just get it lifted out of PCI slot and then try another GPU in one of the other PCI slots on MB. Looks to me like your GPU is gone if the iGPU is giving you video out.

10. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

If you're after a cheap replacement card, I have an rx570 in a draw doing nothing...
    Should be better than an r290, right?

11. OP
    OP
    thedirkdiggler

thedirkdiggler Member

cool thanks

Over to the gfx part of the forum :)