1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 + FX-8150 Bulldozer @ 8150MHz

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dinos22, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dinos22

dinos22 Member

Hey guys,

I wanted to chime in and give you a heads up on a recent OC event I did at LITS (London International Tech Show) overclocking the new AMD FX-8150 bulldozer with GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 rev1.1.

GIGABYTE UK & YOYOTECH.CO.UK helped us put on a show for the UK crowd who actually really liked this sort of benching and asked lots of questions which is pretty cool both men and women. I invited massman from hwbot.org and UK overclockers to come along and bench with me for the three days the show was on. Fun was had by all and we managed to get a monster OC on the CPU. Now i know why AMD called their FX chip FX-8150, it can hit 8150MHz :lol::leet:

[​IMG]

massman (on the left), dinos22 (on the right)

Test system 1:
    • GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 rev1.1 (with LLC)
    • 4x GIGABYTE GTX580SOC GPU
    • AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer CPU
    • Kingston 2133Mhz 4GB kits
    • Kingpin Fatty pot + 3xSlims
    • Thermalab "dinos22" gold pot on CPU
    • 2x Antec HCP1200 PSUs
    • Windows 7 64bit

Test system 2:
    • GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER2
    • GIGABYTE GTX580SOC GPU
    • Intel Core i5 2700K
    • Kingston 2133Mhz 4GB kits
    • Kingpin Fatty + Gemini pot
    • Antec HCP1200 PSU
    • Windows 7 64bit

YOYO-TECH girls and go-go mobile hehe
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tom from Overclock3D hung out with us for a couple of days and did a really nice video to explain to his audience what overclocking is all about. Check it out!

I did a few short livestreams on my setup, this was during 4way SLI tests (overclockingTV had more videos but they dont save theirs to the library)

http://www.livestream.com/dinos22/v...6898&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

http://www.livestream.com/dinos22/v...8798&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

YOYO-TECH, YOYO-TECH, YOYO-TECH, YOYO-TECH, YOYO-TECH, YOYO-TECH
    hahah to all the guys watching the livestream, yeap that was Andrew D from GIGABYTE UK office doing an awesome job as MC. We were certainly less boring than usual but the YOYO-TECH chant really stole the show, we were pissing ourselves laughing. Apparently a mate of his was at the show and recorded him on the phone and took a piss over drinks that night :lol: WELL DESERVED :D
    That's Nigel on the left (UK country manager) enjoying the YOYO-TECH chanting. Top bloke :thumbup:

[​IMG]

CROWDS ENJOYING THE SHOW

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

btw we had Dagmar overclocking with us (1Day's husband), nice to meet you mate :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

4WAY setup in action, we had some issues clocking the chip and then I finally realised what it was on the last day, LLC setting was set to highest value which caused instability. Once we dropped LLC down one level and went from 5Ghz to 7Ghz 3DMARK11 stable :). Unfortunately we killed one of the GPUs by then so there was no 4 way runs past 5Ghz.

[​IMG]

Took a quick LN2 swim, why nooooot

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The big 8150MHz, validated by CPUz and all :thumbup:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2216055_dinos22_cpu_frequency_fx_8150_8149.59_mhz

[​IMG]

driving back to the airport i noticed a sign, joking aside a beautiful city but REALLY cold eeeek

[​IMG]

2. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

:shock::shock::shock::leet:

Well done dino! ..and massman:thumbup::lol:

So whats with the gold CPU pot? do get that when you reach "OC god" status or something?:lol::D

i read about this on hwbot.org days before it happened but i missed the livestream as i was busy finishing a uni assignment..:upset:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  3. sanjay

sanjay Member

even at 8150mhz it probably cant beat the 'bridge. ;)

4. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

you got it bro, i'm extreme OC royalty now. Address me as Your Highness dinos22 :lol:

5. snappy1

snappy1 Member

Nice results Dino.... but how did it perform at say 7/7.5Ghz?

What would it compare to under LN2?

6. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

performance was pretty rubbish man compared to high clocked Intel unfortunately. Definitely not a benching platform. I'm hoping that bioses and perhaps some CPU or platform drivers could smooth it out a bit and make it more efficient.

7. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

/bows :lol:

dude, i knew you where royalty before i even met you!:lol::D

the truth is..you got me really wanting to learn how to OC properly and one day end up doing what your doing.:leet:

if someone asked me who my inspiration is for overclocking i would say you.:thumbup:

um..

On Topic: What did you get out of the 2nd setup? 6ghz? and what it like in comparsion to the 2700K vs the 8150 under LN2?

8. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

hey mate

I'm bringing the OC show to Brisbane in a few weeks. I will put up a thread soon ;). EXPECTING to see you there :leet:

9. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

2700K CPUs were all rubbish mate. We tested 7 of them and they did 4.9, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and one did 5.4

rubbish

10. booj

booj Member

Can I have an autograph Dino? Pleeeease? :D

11. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

/faints..:lol:

guess i better get cracking in the 06 thats coming up! (i need to improve my skills alot! im fine with GPU's just not so much with CPU's..)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  12. Crashish

Crashish New Member

where is bris will u be.... i want to go..... and when???

13. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

sure mate on the arse :lol:

14. booj

booj Member

Someone recommended a pair of Y Fronts :lol:

[​IMG]

15. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

sorry mate i only wear atomic wedgy style borat undies :lol:

16. booj

booj Member

Damn I guess i'll have to make do with the ass signature :( :thumbdn:

:D

17. t8y

t8y Member

fair crowd there, good to see. couldnt really see more than the first row on the stream (nor could you really see those girls :lol: ).
    saw a lot of people coming up and watching, asking questions though, which is good.

wd on the ln2 8150 WR, btw :thumbup:
    was kinda sad it didnt last long, overtaken by "_mat_" shortly afterward (8217.72 mhz)

18. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

technically 8217mhz score it's not validated by CPUz so it isnt really a true score but it's CPUz FFS who gives a shit right :lol:

19. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Nice! Did you do any runs with 4 modules / 8 cores?

20. OP
    OP
    dinos22

dinos22 Member

we couldnt figure out why the system wouldnt bench past 5.5 and then on last day i checked LLC settings, drooped it to one level down from max value and bang 7Ghz 3DMARK11 stable with all 8 cores

only bloody trouble is i copied the wrong drive backup folder and they already wiped them fark :lol: