Gigabyte Aorus RX 580 8GB not recognised

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ibace, Feb 14, 2019.

1. ibace

ibace Member

I bought this card from these forums a couple of months ago. When received, I only plugged it into my test setup, booted it & saw BIOS screen, let it run into Windows, and turned off the system. Was waiting for other items to arrive before I changed from my 780Ti. System is running Windows 8.1 Pro.

So got around to that today, took out my GTX 780Ti and fitted the 580...really looking forward to running Futuremark to see how much of an improvement the 8 GB card would show over a 3 GB card. So installed the card, Windows booted up at default 1280x1024 or whatever display. Restarted pc then once in Windows ran the latest AMD driver...I selected custom install and it seemed to do it pretty quick, but had given a message as 'Radeon software is installed'.

Then rebooted, once in Windows opened Futuremark ready to run the program, then got a message saying 'no compatible benchmarks found. Please make sure you have a compatible graphics card and drivers installed'. So then I went to Device Manager and checked the Display setting; it said only a default Microsoft Basic display was installed. The I tried Microsoft updates, ran thru but it came back saying no updates available. So then I thought I'd try a new tack, downloaded the AMD Auto-detect software, installed and ran it, message returned was 'Components are already installed'.

Have run GPU-Z and it recognised the card, same with Aida x64 & HWInfo...all show the card as installed as far as detecting its' specs, but all the while the display is listed as 'Basic Microsoft Display'. So I come here to write this ask, and see the thread about 'Ex-mining GPU locking up' and figure it is worth a view, so had a read, thought about BIOS version mentioned there; thought I may try something along those lines, [was told it had been reflashed back to default] but can't check if the card isn't recognised....

As it turned out, and as I normally do, I had taken screenshots at each of the various steps I've tried...so I figured the first thing I'd do was to post a thread and hopefully someone may have an answer, or a reason or a workaround...cause I'm almost stumped at the moment.

Have uploaded the screenshots here: https://ibb.co/album/nFFRov
    Note; they've mixed up the order of viewing and I cannot see how to resequence them, but view in the numerical sequence of the file names...

2. FOTW

FOTW Member

Looks like a windows issue not recognising or updating cards drivers.

In device manager remove\uninstall the microsoft basic display driver then reboot pc and install amd drivers fresh. If this doesnt fix it try using DDU to remove any display drivers currently on system and then install ADM drivers again fresh again.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

If this doesn't fix it try the BIOS update from gigabytes website.

3. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

thanks for that, will give it a go...not having used AMD for a long, long time, I am a bit perplexed trying to download the latest drivers for Windows 8.1 x64...there only seems to be WIndows 7 x64 and Windows 10 x64 available...which one is the best to use for Windows 8.1...if I cannot get the real deal?

4. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

FOTW....tried your suggestion, results; uninstalled Microsoft Basic Adapter, rebooted and once into Windows, same adapter was showing as installed, ran the DDU got a warning about using in safe mode. Rebooted and tried to use safe mode, unable to access. Rebooted again, into BIOS tried to find a way to safe mode, couldn't. Back into Windows and ran the DDU despite the warnings...finished and rebooted but the Microsoft Basic Adapter still there...tried to install a different version of Radeon software...unable to; received error message advising system error. Shut it down and now waiting for a miracle!!

5. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Next!! So I removed the RX 580 and installed a spare R9 380 I had laying around. Turned on, display, booted into Windows, used AMD Auto-detect it then downloaded appropriate Windows 8 x64 driver, installed, did the reboot, started Futuremark Sky Diver and away it went, completed benchmark. The I ran Fire Strike as well, same result of benchmark completed.

Now I figure I've got this beat; turned system off, installed the RX 580 booted to Windows...came up with default 1280 x 1024 display which I figured was a great sign!! New display adapter detected. But when I went to Settings; it was still the Microsoft Basic Video Adapter showing as installed. Just to be certain I did a reboot, upon Windows desktop the 1920 x 1080 display settings were showing, allowed myself to get some hopes up; but dashed again...basic Microsoft Adapter.

So once again I used the AMD Auto-detect , but it returned a result saying 'Components are already installed'.

Am back again to absolutely no idea what is going on...ANYONE?

6. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

7. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Try flashing bios again, maybe the mining bios is still there.

Myne_h likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

how can I flash the bios if the card is not recognized? By the same token, after a lot of googling today, it does indeed appear that AMD purposely decided not to to support Windows 8.1. Given they support Win 7 & Linux what would be the idea behind that? I never gave a thought to the possibility that 8.1 isn't supported. Guess I have to get rid of the 580, cause I'm sure as shit not going back to W10, and not overly interested in W7 either...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  9. FOTW

FOTW Member

Yep Beavis hit nail on the head AMD never released driver support for Windows 8.1. Try the windows 7 driver it might work. if not either change OS to windows 7 or Windows 10. Sucks AMD never bothered to develop a driver for windows 8.1.

10. FOTW

FOTW Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

The latest drivers are here and you should try the Win7 version, DL and save them to your desktop;
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-2-2

DDU should always be run when changing from nVidia to AMD (or vice versa). The simplest way to get to Safe Mode is via msconfig;
    https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/39088

After cleaning out the nVidia (properly), I would then re-run DDU on the AMD and then finally restart again and install the Win7 19.2.2 drivers saved to your desktop, right click the installation package and choose 'Run as Administrator' at the start of the process.

12. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Thanks for the tips...especially the msconfig to use Safe Boot...have used it scores of times for other things, now I'll be using it even more...

13. A Gringo

A Gringo Member

I had the same problem with an identical card bought off these forums. Ex mining card. Win 10. Mine was an upgrade from a HD7750. I had to wipe the AMD drivers, then reinstall motherboard drivers before the card was recognised. Then I installed
    the Adrenaline package. I understand there is no win8.1 package available from AMD.

Good Luck

14. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

You flash under dos. I would never flash anything under Windows.

15. A Gringo

A Gringo Member

Techspot say the same 17.7.1 was the last official (https://www.techspot.com/downloads/drivers/essentials/amd-radeon-hotfix/)

16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Why do t00ns keep flogging a dead horse - if Win7 is being supported then that version should either work in Win8.1 or the Win10 drivers will work in 8.1.Stick with using the 19.2.2.

Also the BIOS has not been noted as being an issue as yet but getting a driver for the card to work is the concern so far so bringing in BIOS flashing is m00t at this point in time until the card is actually seen with a driver!

A worthy consideration is going to Win10?!?

17. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Have you seen a card with mining or borked BIOS? AMD driver not picking up the card is exactly what happens.

18. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

I put the card in another PC I had built that had Windows 10, and it works...flawlessly. Ran Futuremark benchmarks without any issues, so I think the card is OK...it just WILL NOT WORK with Windows 8.

Honestly...FUCK the Red Team...why would they do shit like that? Support Linux and Windows 7 but not Windows 8...almost as bad a M/S saying if you want to use Kaby Lake processors...then you HAVE to use Windows 10. Yea...I like Windows 10 so much I sold all my Kaby Lake gear and went back to Skylake...then moved to x79 & Xeons...I HATE WINDOWS 10!!!

I checked the BIOS version of the card when it was running in the Win 10 PC...and it is the standard BIOS, not a 'Mining' BIOS...so I guess that's about the end of this thread??

19. FOTW

FOTW Member

Just try either running the older driver windows 8.1 packages we linked earlier in the thread or try using windows 7 64 bit drivers. People have had success running RX580 on the older drivers. It is still fucked up from AMD to do this especially win 8.1 is not far removed from windows 7.

20. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Yep, and you've whined over W10 in prior threads too.

1. The drivers all work fine in W8.1 and W10 having tried them myself on an R9 380X and an RX 570;
    2. DDU Uninstall works perfectly well in W8.1 and W10 having used it myself to uninstall R9, RX and GTX cards;
    3. W10 is not so different from W8.1 so it surprises me you are facing these issues.

As far as "fuck AMD" goes, they can't help that out of several hundreds of thousands of possible hardware combinations, and millions of combos once Windows versions are accounted for, yours doesn't work. You proved yourself the card works fine, suck it up and put W10 on and download a W(xyz) looking interface if that's all that bothers you.