Gigabyte Aorus RX 580 8GB not recognised

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ibace, Feb 14, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

In response to pwlm1975 who said "Yep, and you've whined over W10 in prior threads too." too right!! And I will continue to do so...Win 10 is absolute crap; nothing to do with the interface...it was M/S forcing Kaby Lake hardware owners to install Windows 10...because they enforced a non Windows 8 supported regime. I usually like to have a lot of browser tabs and Windows open and in use at any one time...but I got sick and tired of error messages from M/S telling me my system resources were insufficient...yea right i7 7700K with 64 GB ram and resources insufficient. That never happened when the same hardware was I using Windows 8, and it hasn't and doesn't happen now...still with Windows 8 on x79, so that is enough anecdotal evidence for me.

I also said "fuck AMD" because along similar lines, they decided not to support a Windows 8 system running RX 580s, they were willing to provide drivers for 32 & 64 bit Windows 7 and Linux...but not for Windows 8...great logic there, isn't it? All well and good to choose to cease support for older Operating Systems...but that's not what they did, is it? So as I said "fuck AMD".

pwlm1975 you also said "The drivers all work fine in W8.1 and W10 having tried them myself on an R9 380X and an RX 570;" [I am assuming you refer to a Windows 10 driver of some description] that's great! But that isn't an RX 580 is it? Yes, as I stated I installed a Strix R9 380 and it worked fine, was recognised by Windows and able to have drivers, and updates installed, and run an complete benchmarks. But it certainly appears to be a case of the AMD provided software causing the RX 580 to be "unrecognisable" to Windows 8 and unable to have drivers installed. Other software can "see" the RX 580 and identified it as such [as described in original post] but that is of little consequence when Microsoft itself is unable to identify it, or to install drivers for the 580 to work correctly, which appears to be the exact situation that the good folk from AMD envisaged with their Operating System support policy was so thoughtfully implemented, so I find myself once again at the same point of conclusion as I had before - "fuck AMD".

Thanks very much...and GOOD NIGHT!!

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I don't understand the hate for Win 10 vs the like for Win 8. On the surface at least, out of the box, they are very similar.

3. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

They may well be very similar, but my reason for Operating System is based solely on the issues I have described concerning constant, annoying "Insufficient Resources" messages, and frozen screens when using browsers forcing hard restarts when I was running Win10...which as I have said...never happened when I used Win 8 prior to going to Kaby Lake, then when I upgraded and followed the 'recommendation' to upgrade OS to Win10...constant error messages...reverted to Win8 and issue stopped, but was replaced with constant nag messages stating "Unsupported hardware, you will no longer receive updates, upgrade to the latest Windows 10". That prompted me to sell off my Kaby Lake and go to Skylake...and...no "Insufficient resources" nags with Win 8...that's why I so dislike Win10.

4. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

That's where my money is.

Alternately, does the PSU supply enough power for it to run as a 3d card?
    They often drop back to 2d only if there's not enough.

Insufficient resources?!

Are you running in ultra-legacy 15 IRQ DOS mode somehow?!?!
    Flash and reset the bios and check that you're in UEFI mode.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Have an 850 watt gold rated, so yeah...enough supply I'd reckon. Have gone thru every BIOS setting to determine that they're all OK, and I think they are...the 580's BIOS came up as the original version when I installed the card in a Win 10 system, so should not be a problem...have not got a motherboard with UEFI BIOS installed...it is American Megatrends version 4.6.5 dated 09/06/2018 so I'd think that'd be the latest...no idea about ultra-legacy 15 IRQ DOS mode??

6. FOTW

FOTW Member

Windows 10 stability has improved allot over the last 3 and half years. Always best to do a clean installation. My mine gripes now are its butchered GUI, adverts on sign in screen, and it sends basic diagnostic data to Microsoft. However on my 3 PCs at home i haven't had a single crash for last 2 years caused by Windows.

7. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Had enough of these hassles...sold it and will look to improve on my Classified 780Ti yet again, and before I do buy any new card;I will verify Win 8 drivers are available....