Gigabyte DS3/4/DQ6 Discussion Thread + Light warning to Users

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by dinos22, Jul 28, 2006.

1. AFireInside

AFireInside Member

Just wanna know what you guy's think of the DQ6, it looks like a nice mobo, how's it overclock? Any first hand opinions here?
    I'm considering this board over the asus p5w dh deluxe and the intel badaxe as it seems the p965 chipset works better with the conroe's than the 975x plus it's much easier to obtain, everywhere seems to be out of the 975x boards but i seen alot of 965 boards round.
    So what's your opinion?

2. goobar

goobar Member

Did you connect the CPU fan power to the system fan pins and not the CPU one?

Also I don't think the bios readings are very accurate. It says my celeron is around 50C when I boot up as well (EasyTune5 says it is around 30C)

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yes, yes I did :rolleyes: :o

Finally got windows up and running, temps according to easytune still hovering around the 60-70 mark, but at least its folding now...

Tried bumping fsb from 200-215, so 3.2-3.4, instant bsod :(

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  4. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Dogthinkers problems :(

OK.
    E6400, Gigabyte DS3, 2GB G.Skill HZ...

Boots @ 66mhz FSB giving 528mhz on the CPU, lol. If I try to manually set FSB to the stock 266 it fails to boot and auto switches back to 66mhz. Ditto when I tried FSB 200. Any ideas? I'm going to flash the bios to F3 version (currently F1) in case thats the issue. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not 100% confident HSF is properly mounted - just using the stock HSF as am picking up new cooling next week, and it's got this daft
    locking mechanism that makes you put lots of pressure onto individual points. I think it's mounted ok, but it's hard to tell for sure without taking the trouble to remove the mobo from the case to get a proper look.

So my ideas so far:
    1) flash bios to F3 (anyone had problems with fsb/cpu speed with F1?)
    2) check HSF mounting
    3) use 1 stick only of HZ, try different slots
    4) ? faulty CPU or mobo ?

To make it harder to troubleshoot on the fly last night, I also couldn't install windows... I forgot I was using all dynamic disks, so couldn't perform a new installation to get access to the bios update I'd already downloaded... Tried to boot into existing installation (duh...) and managed to trash that in the process, making it unbootable even with original mobo/CPU(!) I'm bringing another HDD to install to home from work, so as to avoid formatting current disks and maximise my chances of data recovery...grrr, silly dogthinker.

5. gotheb1ues

gotheb1ues (Banned or Deleted)

I think you have a dud motherboard there. i would RMA it right away as the is no reason for it run at 66fsb. I thought 100fsb was the lowest selectable speed.

6. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Yeah 100fsb is the lowest selectable speed... mobo just autoselects itself to 66 :/

As I don't have the comp with me, I suspect the fastest DOA is gonna be a return and replace on monday, and thats assuming the vendor (who does personal deliveries) will bring replacement and pick up faulty part at the same time, rather than forcing me to mail in faulty part first :upset:

7. gotheb1ues

gotheb1ues (Banned or Deleted)

I like to buy my motherboards from CA as they have a good return policy. Just make shore you never buy from Gaydude as they will take 2 weeks and charge you to fix it, even if it is only 2 days old.

8. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

I used Maco Technology. Their presales service was excellent, and I'm hoping their postsales will match up... I've already mailed them to try to arrange a 'same day replacement' DOA on the mobo, pending some final tests on my part (RAM/BIOS)... I also gave them the option of me returning the mobo for refund if they can't provide a same day replacement :lol: If they agree to either option they'll have won my business for a long time to come, I think.

9. bobdobbs

bobdobbs Member

This is a problem of the f1 bios. Update it and it should fix it. Mine did the same thing.

Give this a read, quite helpful. DS3 FAQ

10. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

w00t! You just made me very very happy. So relieved someone else has had some thing and with easy fix. :thumbup: So this was with DS3 and E6400, right? I wonder why not everybody is having the same problem though :confused: Maybe they are all updating bios before noticing? Or maybe it's just a E6400 thing and most getting E6300?

Kicking myself for not putting the F3 bios on a floppy disk before I rebuilt... I got as far as downloading it tp HDD then went... "Ahhh, I'll sort out BIOS later, lets just get it running first..." (famous last words)

EDIT: Thats a really nice FAQ, thanks for the link. Gonna take a PCI card home with me too, just in case my nvidia is part of the problem... But certainly nice to see the 66mhz FSB problem ina FAQ saying problem with F1 BIOS. :thumbup:

11. alcanaro

alcanaro Member

just having problems keeping the FSB the same in the bios with the DS3/E6400/GSkill HZ FOTM.

I'm currently running at 330 fsb but I don't think this is the problem as it happens with anything but the default 266.

What happens is basically sometimes (most of the time) when I restart the comp it will make the CPU Frequency Clock option in the BIOS back to disabled, which in turn of course reverts the FSB to 266 defeault.

Any other DS3 users having that issue? My temps are fine, and once I boot into windows, Folding is stable so not sure whats the go.

12. bobdobbs

bobdobbs Member

What vid card are you using?

This could be the same problem i and others have with various nvidia cards. Im Running a albatron 6600gt. Basically if you try and set the CPU Frequency Clock to enabled it reverts back to disabled as you say. Not sure how the vid card makes it do this but it does, and seems to be only with some nvidia cards from what i can see. I Borrowed an 850xt and booted up at 400fsb right away no problem.

13. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Yeah, sounds like one of the problems listed in that FAQ you linked to before. According to that unofficial FAQ it should be possible to get around it by using a different vid card while changing the BIOS settings, then swapping the correct card back in once you have the settings you want. I'll be taking an old PCI vid card home with me tonight, just in case I need it as I have a 7900GT :)

14. alcanaro

alcanaro Member

X1900XT

I hope its not that... :(

It's a little bit random for me. When i see on bootup that it has gone back to 2.13Ghz (266x8) I restart the computer straight away and it seem to be ok again...

15. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Hmm, if it's not a problem when actually changing the timing then it's not that particular problem listed in that FAQ. So it's an occaisional problem that just occurs spontaneously on bootup. Hmmm. PSU?

16. Zerosignal

Zerosignal Member

Can you post a link to that FAQ?

17. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

lol, it was about 2 posts up from my post, but sure, happy to help:

18. Zerosignal

Zerosignal Member

Doh sorry, sitting here at work skimming through posts quickly :shock:

19. alcanaro

alcanaro Member

Yeah if I see that the FSB is correct on bootup, I will let it go to windows and then I start testing. But when I restart the pc again most of the time to do some more OCing it will go back to 266. So usually I will either go into BIOS and enable CPU Frequency Clock to fix it or just restart it again... damn you gigabyte!

I will check out the PSU. Got the NeoHe 550 but the fan blowing on it is not plugged in atm, (got the P180 case) might try that.

20. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Heh, I wouldn't get too cranky at Gigabyte... The DS3 might be a little eccentric, but the performance sounds to be worth it. The (beta) BIOS updates appear to be coming in thick and fast as well so I think they'll have a lot of these type of problems ironed out pretty quickly.