Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, how is it for overclocking

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Little Man, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Little Man

Little Man Member

hey im on pccg looking for a cheap ass board,

seen the G31-Es2L
    Just looking to do a modest overclock, something like 3ghz for my backup machine (probably a E5200 in future)

How is it?

i think my friend had that board and i tried to overclock his e2160 but couldnt find the opyion in the bios:eek:

can anyone confirm that you can overclock/well on this particular board?

2. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Forget it.

The G31M-S2L (and for that matter the G33M-S2L) are Gigabytes cheapest model for a reason.

They lack decent cooling over the north and south bridges, and are only really deisnged with budget/basic computers/workstations in mind.

We use them pretty heavily at work for our business machines. Rock solid, but I'd never try to overclock one, they simply aren't designed for it.

Look for something with at least a P965/P975/P45 chipset I reckon before you consider overclocking.

3. cscottaus

cscottaus Member

ive used this board with an e2180 and got it to 3ghz @ slightly over stock volts. theres full voltage control and fsb options in the bios and is really good value for doing a modest overclock for the cheaper dual cores. seems to be more stable in oc's than the asus and msi models so go for it!

edit: i agree with mitches lack of cooling on the south and northbridge chipsets, but they are more than capable to handle an e5200 @ 3ghz, moving up to a p35/p45 mobo adds a fair bit to the cost but they also give more ram slots/sata ports etc

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

ctrl-f1 is your friend.

i just picked up a dfi p45 jr (the matx one) for $130 secondhand, maybe you should shop around abit :)

5. salochin

salochin Member

No one who has gone right out and completely dismissed the GA G31M ES2L's overclock-ability has never owned one. I have an e5200 and the ES2L and run it at 3.3Ghz (266 x 12.5) on stock volts (an 800mhz overclock). The only problem is it won't stably go 1 megahertz higher because it doesn't like having the RAM multiplier and system voltage both off auto at the same time. If I run the RAM at something other than 800mhz or 1066mhz it becomes unstable, and if I put the voltage control on auto it will put a ridiculous amount of voltage through the CPU. If you are fine with 3.3Ghz clock speed (on DDR2-1066) then it will suit you fine.

6. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

They are a mild OC board and do OK. Not high-end stuff but still good to get some extra grunt for free.

7. Munki

Munki Member

I'm not even going to bother OCing my Q9550 (on the G31M-ES2L) until I get my EP45-DS3P back.

Really...What's the point?

8. OP
    OP
    Little Man

Little Man Member

well hows the P41 chipset? any better?

9. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

The point is the OP's question, not your coment. Help out instead of the whinge.

OP, I cane see the budget is tight, are you aiming for an onboard video board or just try to get a basis of a good cheap system to do mild gaming ?

If so then maybe a second-hand board or a slightly more potent chipset and small discrete video card may offer more for less.

10. OP
    OP
    Little Man

Little Man Member

yeh its going to be used as a backup gaming system, so on-board isnt useful.

ive started a thread for a p35/p965 board in WTB and no one replies......

So far from pm's ive been offereed...

Abit IP35 pro for $130..
    P5k-e wifi for $110..

all a bit much..whats the cheapest i could get a p35 board for?

11. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

These days you might be able to get a half decent P35 board (Gigabyte P35-DS3L) for about $70. :thumbup:

12. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

I have a GA-G31M-S2L, runs my e2160 at 3ghz all day long.

13. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

They are a decent board for OCing, we have one in our server and it goes strong. E6600 at 3ghz isn't much of a challenge. On the other hand, I recommend this board http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=106&bid=6&sid=38024 over the gigabyte, as it is possibly the most amazing sub $60 board on the market. It has an OC feautre where you can predetermine the FSB speed using jumpers on the motherboard without fucking with bios settings (basically tricking the board into thinking that you E5200 is a 266mhz fsb chip, and not a 200fsb one) without having to mess with anything. And with a lot of CPUs, this method will work perfectly on stock voltage as well. This board also has a lot of manual overclocking features, including fsb, voltage, ram straps, etc and i've tested it to work at 350fsb. :thumbup:

14. OP
    OP
    Little Man

Little Man Member

thaanks for the reply guys, just had alook at the msy clearance page anf found the P5k-SE i think its called

p35 for $80 looks pretty good.

is it a x-demo or any reason its in clearance?

15. danyell

danyell Member

Smokin Whale, can you tell me if that board came with the Gigabit LAN mentioned as "Option" on the umart page? If it is including that (deal breaker when running a GigE network here), I reckon I will purchase one... have you run it with 4GB RAM?

Thanks for the headsup!

Cheers,
    Dan

16. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

4GB of RAM DDR2 800mhz in dual channel works fine. Dare say that 1066mhz would work too. Mine also had gigabit.

17. danyell

danyell Member

thanks for that!