GigaByte Galaxy 3D water cooling system (Mini Review)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Kenetixx, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Kenetixx

Kenetixx (Banned or Deleted)

GigaByte Galaxy 3D water cooling system

Well i purchased on of these yesterday and received it from courier today, Now i know it isnt going to on par with other kits like Asetek or Koolance but it was cheap and its my first time water cooling, and at $177 it was with in my price range so i grabbed it.
    SO tonight i took the plunge and installed it to my system that is my sig. First impression is it looks good :D . Has a nice finished look and looks professinal. It went together very easy, alot easier then i thought it would , but i think that has alot to do with what case i goes into and what board it is on.
    The kits contains :

1 x CPU block , cooper base Clear acrylic top
    1 x 120 Radiator with shroud and 120mm fan
    1 x Pump and Resivour Combo
    1 x 80mm Fan for mosfet cooling
    1.5 meters of Clear 1/2 " Tubing
    PCI Fan controller
    Hose CLamps
    Assorted screws

Intallation went with out a hitch nearlly, as i cut one piece of hose to short one end :|, other than that all was fine . Once installed i Run it for about 5 hours to leak test, this was done in my case but not powered by my board i used another motherboard out side the case to fire it up and test for leaks so there was no power to my board at all to prevent damage incase it did leak.

The result is I like it :D
    My temps before with the TT Big typhoon were around 32 degrees idle and around 51 under load that is with my current overclock of 2.8ghz with 1.55 volts to cpu now temps are 26 idle and aroun 44 under load Ambient is aroun 20 degrees ATM:D
    So not a bad decrease if i say so for me > This being my first water setup i cant compare it to another sorry but i hope you get an idea with the temps i have. A few issues it has is the fan when set to full Is way to loud for normal use the pump makes a very slight buzzing sound but not noticeable when the case side is on.

A very good entry level kit i would say :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  2. squid_spit

squid_spit Member

Not bad for a cheap kit, didn't expect it to beat the Big Typhoon by 7c

3. giles666

giles666 Member

Ordered one of these about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunatly it was deffective so I had to return it (waiting on the replacement) the pump was foobared and leaked in the one I got.

4. BIOS

BIOS Member

Wow, thats a nice temp decrease! Might grab one of these instead of getting a Big Typhoon. Thanks for the review mate :)
    *EDIT*: BTW, can you eloborate a bit more on the noise level please?

5. OP
    OP
    Kenetixx

Well the noise with the Fan at full blast is hell loud sounds like a dust buster
    The noise the pump makes is just a little buzz nothing major , but it has gone away now after a bit of use???

6. OP
    OP
    Kenetixx

Pics are up :)
    Notice the hose clamp on the hose where it developed a kink

7. tayts1

tayts1 Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  8. OP
    OP
    Kenetixx

yeahi read that article dunno what to think ill wait till they hit the shelves and try it myself

9. javascripterror

javascripterror Member

That looks like a 10mm tubing in the system so it may take a performance hit from flowrate. Any information on actual flow rates.

10. OP
    OP
    Kenetixx

Nah i cant find any info on flowrates and im not sure how to test myself ive sent an email to gigabyte asking , but i dont know if i will do anygood

11. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

WHOOPS, just read the post, and realised that the fan was for MOSFETT cooling. Was wondering why there was a fan there.

GreasyBear

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  12. Moto7451

Moto7451 Member

It looks like a pretty nice kit. I'd get it for my brother's rig if i didn't have as many spare parts as I do.

13. SONofSAM

SONofSAM Member

Thanks for the info,as l was thinking of getting one myself.l just have one question.Can you change the speed of the fan and what are the temps like when you lower the speed.

14. Bloar

Bloar Member

wats the inner diameter of the pipes

15. OP
    OP
    Kenetixx

The fan speed is controlled via a pci bracket Rheostat so it can be turned down, with fan at full you drop around 2 degrees in temp, ID of hose is 1/2'

16. Fluffy_duck

Fluffy_duck Member

Taken straight from the company website Galaxy 3d
    Pump: Dimensions 61 x 60 x 46 mm
    Maximum Capacity 400 L/hr
    Noise 20 dBA below
    Bearing Ceramic Bearing

17. SONofSAM

SONofSAM Member

Hi Kenetixx,when you say the fan at full speed the temps drop 2 degrees.So what are your temps when the fan is on slow speed or where the fan noise is not noisy.What do you think of the overall build quality,like hose clamps etc.Have read some reviews but it's good to hear from fellow OCAU member. :)

18. Jewsian

Jewsian (Banned or Deleted)

not a bad kit from the looks of it esp. how they incorporated the fan which would help cool the mosfets + the nice 1/2" ID tubing

really nice kit I must say

19. OP
    OP
    Kenetixx

Build quality is very high, they use push together hose clamps not screw ones which seem to do the job fine, once the hose is on it is hard to get off, As i have said the fan at full speed is very noisy, i run it at around 2000rpm which is just at the sound level of my Graphics card it keeps my temps at around 29 idle and at 45 under load .

20. phathag

phathag Member

quick questions...

ok is it me... or is the radiator and fan mount thing pushing air INTO the case?

ie what side is the fan on... near the case or far from it... and is it sucking air away from case or blowing air into it?

and can it be changed easily with that kit?

cheers.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005