Gigabyte i-ram Pinout

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Dezza Bot, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

As usual for me when I request something it's something strange, so here it is. Due to the dwindling number of available PCI slots on motherboards of late, I'm in need to move at least one deivce off my pci bus (or specifically the pci slot itself :)
    What I want to do is pull the rails I need from the atx plug and wire them to, a pci riser card of sorts, in order to power the ramdrive while on and in standby. I will shoot off an email to Gigabyte too, but maybe you knowledgeable guys/girls can help me out.

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

According to Gigabyte the I-RAM doesn't do anything on the PCI slot except draw power from it. Perhaps if you look into which pin on the PCI slot that the power is coming from and use that instead?

3. fref99

fref99 Member

Hi,

I-Rams only use the power lines on the PCI bus.

Just have a look at this page for the PCI pinout (http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_PCI_Pins.html), and then look at which pins are actually used.

It's not something I'd try but good luck.

Regards
    FREF99

4. OP
    OP
    Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Yes thanks guys, I've already looked into that, the problem is I can't find a pinout that shows me the 5vsb, And I can't manage to find it with a psu right now although that may have been because the old mobo I was using didnt support pci standby. I'll keep at it tho, and I'll let you all know when/if gigabyte email me back. Hopefully I"ll just be able to pull 5v,5vsb,3.3v, and 12v rails straight off the psu and wire them onto a riser card.

5. Gadget_

Gadget_ Member

Would you not just connect the 5VSB to where the 5v normally connects?

6. OP
    OP
    Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Not sure if I can do this. In the case of the I-ram it probably wont make much difference as it probably wont draw enough to overload +5vsb

Anyhow the update I have is that I definatly can't find 5vsb running to the pci slot, so I'm either going to have to wait for gigabyte to email me back, or start taking to my i-ram in a live board with a multimeter.

7. MichaelMR2

MichaelMR2 Member

Anyone got more info on this? or are we waiting for the second revision of this?

any word on the next version

8. OP
    OP
    Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Have finally managed to get the i-ram to work without being connected to the pci slot. Pics to come ;)

9. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Cool. Any chance of turning it into a little HOWTO for our Wiki or the OCAU news page? Just a few words to go with your pics would do it. :)

10. OP
    OP
    Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Sorry for the lack of updates but here goes.....

[​IMG]

Essentially I looked on the i-ram pcb to figure out which pins were terminated and then wired all the 5v,3.3v,12v and ground pins together, so they could be wired direct to a psu. I might pull apart and old ocz ddr booster to make it look a bit more professional, or I might just get the i-ram its own small psu.

Anyone planning on attempting this will find the following urls very helpful
    http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_PCI_Pins.html
    http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm
    I also found it helpful to have decent skill with an iron, not to mention some spare time for all that precise soldering.