1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Gigabyte p67A-UD7 Sata ports???

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by geek2_21, Feb 4, 2011.

1. geek2_21

geek2_21 Member

I finally got around too putting my sandy bridge system together last night. The only issue i had was figuring out the sata ports. Maybe I'm dumb annd blind, but whats marked on the motherboard and whats in the manual doesn't make sense. I want to use the sata 3 ports of course, just not sure whats what. can someone help me out. thanks

2. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

specs page is pretty self-explanatory?

1.2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3_0, SATA3_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
    2.4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_2~SATA2_5) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices

2 x Marvell 88SE9128 chips:
    1.2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices

So, dont use SATA2_2-SATA2_5 ports.

The motherboard seems pretty clear on the labelling of the ports from the images of it - the white are the SATA3_0/1, the 2 to the right(top/above) at the GSATA and the other 4 are the SATA2 ones

3. Matcat

Matcat Member

the sata 3 ports are the white ones the second set :D EDIT the first set are the marvell sata 6 second set are intel sata 6

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  4. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

Your mainboard has SATA-III and SATA-II ports. You HDDs will work in either ports, but their speed is limited to (a) the cable used, 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s and (b) the speed of the HDD.

Your mainboard's manual should state what color the 6Gb/s ports colors are and the 3Gb/s color. In terms of performance, there's not boost in putting 3Gb/s cables into 6Gb/s, because they'll run at the 3Gb/s speed regardless.

5. NewKleer

NewKleer Member

FYI his question is with reference to the SATA2 port degradation issues

6. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Use whatever ports you have and feel like

probability of the sata port issue bugging you in the short term: next to nill.

get a new motherboard at the end of april.. enjoy.. stop worrying

7. OP
    OP
    geek2_21

geek2_21 Member

Theres no point using the sata 2 ports if it's going to cause issues. Sorry to me it's not that clear. u have port 0 on one side and the port on the othher is the last one. not first ports in the middle. Figured it out now, thanks

8. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

SATA 6G ports are 2 black ones closest to 24pin ATX connector :)