1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gigabyte R9-290 failure

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by rugged_stash, Apr 17, 2014.

1. rugged_stash

rugged_stash Member

The current low price had gotten the better of me and I just purchased this card to replace my old GTX570.

Fully removed nvidia drivers before install of amd's and have so far had nothing but issues with this card.

So far it has black screened on every run I've attempted with Uningine Valley and crashed completely with black flag. Unigine did show promising fps in its limited runs but it's last has produced nothing over 15fps before drivers crashed.

Have tried latest beta drivers and stable drivers.

Also displaying artifacts when the issues arise.

Thought I'd put this forward in case anyone has any ideas to the issue since I wont be RMAing this till after the long weekend.

System is:
    Intel i5 2500k 4.4Ghz watercooled powered by a D5 pump
    Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
    2x HDD 1x OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
    8Ghz 1600mhz g.skill ram
    SilverStone ST60F-P 600w PSU (on the small side but should be more than enough for this card)

Cheers for any help.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

By more than enough do you mean not enough at all? I think with a D5, handful of rad fans etc you're reeeeeaaaaallllyyyyy streching it.... you're talking about a 300w GPU. Try running the CPU at, shudder, stock clocks/volts.

Do you at least have seperate 8 pin and 6 pin pcie cables?

Does it work with stuff other than uningine? 3Dmark? A game?

Oh the old DDU/driversweeper is worth trying if you havent already.

3. OP
    OP
    rugged_stash

rugged_stash Member

Yeah mate done a driversweep.
    Haha yeah by more than enough I meant to say I'm pushing it, but have noticed this being a wide spread issue with the earlier release of this card so just not wanting to fork out for a new psu to see.
    Yes on the 6 and 8 plug cables being separate.

I'll have a play before dropping the cpu oc and see how it goes.

4. OP
    OP
    rugged_stash

rugged_stash Member

Set CPU clocks back to standard, same results, get a little way into the Valley bench and it artifacts and crashes.

Gave 3DMarks Firestorm a run and it looks like its running at about 14fps before it also crashes.

Managed to get through the whole Cloud Gate test and only scored 9741... that's shocking.

Forgot to mention that the cards dip switch is set to silent mode, I will try performance mode but guess that will go way worse haha.

I know I'm pushing the little PSU but the D5 should only be 30w max, just cant see it being the issue with now the cpu dialed down.

5. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

RMA the card, my sapphire r9 290 never pass heaven bench mark. Always black screen. I play RoS with that card I will get random black screen. No matter what I did still get black screen. Input in r9 280x everything is fine.

6. OP
    OP
    rugged_stash

rugged_stash Member

Yep, back in its box awaiting for the end of the long weekend, old GTX570 back in and out performing the 290's faulty efforts haha. Oh well better luck next time I guess.

7. Cool Barn

Cool Barn Member

Probably a faulty card, but before you send it away I'd check to see if Gigabyte have a BIOS update for it - I've solved a number of problems with Gigabyte and MSI cards over the years by installing the latest firmware for them.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  8. Lwood1990

Lwood1990 Member

Got a mates computer with a bigger PSU you could try it in?

9. OP
    OP
    rugged_stash

rugged_stash Member

Unfortunately no updates on this current model, though I have sent an email in to Gigabyte with the issue just in case.

Unfortunately not, just moved back to my small home town and no one is close enough.

10. starkers92

starkers92 Member

I had trouble recently because I didn't uninstall MSI afterburner (& ASUS GPU tweak) before installing the drivers..

Tried flicking the BIOS switch on the card? Bit of a long shot..

11. Domokun

Domokun Member

Is it the reference cooler? I have had three reference AMD R9 290X video cards in total. One was functional, two were dysfunctional with the same instability issues (i.e. black screen). Increasing the fan speed profile was a solution, but not a very good one as the fan was far too loud. Clearly (at least in my case), it's an overheating issue. However, the core frequency is meant to throttle once it hits approximately 95C and is designed to reach these temperatures, so I thought it could have been the VRMs overheating due to a poor mount on the heatsink, but of course, you can't check this yourself as it voids the warranty, so you have to go through the RMA process.

12. Icepic2005

Icepic2005 Member

Do you have another HDD for a fresh install of OS and the graphics driver.

13. SeiferCQGL

SeiferCQGL Member

I just had an Gigabyte R9 290 Winforce X3 OC card do that to me as well, bogging down the system and artifacting. I was running two in CrossfireX, the moment I pulled it out the system perked right up.

One thing I did note is GPU-Z showed the artifacting card had Elpida memory, the good card had Hynix (not sure if that is anything to go by but yeah).

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to RMA you go!

14. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

This is an odd one. I got a R9 290 from here and it had close to the same as what you have explained. Only difference, I tested it in newer and older hardware which it worked perfectly but lots of different combo's with the same CPU (2500K) and it looks to be the CPU itself.

It may or may not be the same result with yours but can you test on other hardware before you go RMA'ing it?

15. OP
    OP
    rugged_stash

rugged_stash Member

Yep this is the non OC Windforce card, I never chucked GPU-Z on to have a look at what Mem it was running but i have read that Elpida is the cause of a lot of problems.
    Card is Being RMA'd

16. TaroT

TaroT Member

I used to have blackscreens when using afterburner but after ditching that and just using ccc to overclock a little haven't had any

17. OP
    OP
    rugged_stash

rugged_stash Member

Received replacement card yesterday and it's working perfectly. So was just down to a bad card. I chucked a power reader on the wall to see what the system is pulling and thought I'd share, its pulling 108watts idle and around 367watts at full load.

18. simontifik

simontifik Member

Good to here it's sorted. Got to the thread late but I wouldn't have thought it was your PSU, I'm running a similar system with watercooling and a 290 off a Silverstone 550w with no trouble.