Gigabyte RMA experience

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by mAd_180, May 9, 2011.

1. mAd_180

mAd_180 Member

Hi guys i have a HD5970 that has lost display on all ports

I have sent it away for RMA

I did change the cooler on it ( put back to stock before sending it away )

has anyone had any experience with gigabyte and warranty approved or not ? and who had changed the cooler on their card.

Cheers in advance

2. ChaosMaster

ChaosMaster Member

Not sure about Gigabyte, but did the exact same thing with Asus (same card and everything). They were fine with it, and I didn't even have a receipt. Don't see why Gigabyte wouldn't.

3. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

As long as things look legit and no physical damage is present from removing and reinstalling the cooler you should be okay.

4. Rabe

Rabe Member

Just had my 470 RMAd. They replaced it with no questions, they just took ages, telling me that high end cards take a while to replace. In the end (2 months later) I received a brand new card.

5. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Uh ho.. wasn't there a big issue with 5970's that if you overtightened the cooler, it would cut the display tracks... *fingers crossed* that gigabyte doesn't notice it..

6. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

fat chance of them not, since they sponsor and follow these forums.

they could still repair the card for the OP anyway, it just may not be free.

@OP: if you've RMA'd direct to Gigabyte AUS, i'm certain your experience with them will be well beyond satisfactory :)

7. OP
    OP
    mAd_180

mAd_180 Member

Nah 100% didnt overtighten knew about that issue well before i put the cooler on and the cooler was running for 6 months plus with no problems

and warranted through the company i work for so shouldnt be any issues but still a little scared that im going to lose heaps of cash on a highend card

8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

oh ok, well it will go from you to the distributor then, they may swap it, or theyll send to GB Aus who'll swap it.

it is a slower process going through the reseller channel but doesnt cost you anything :)

have patience, it should be fine :D

9. OP
    OP
    mAd_180

mAd_180 Member

Yeah reseller has none in stock so going to gigabyte for sure

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What is the rough turnaround time for an RMA'd card these days?

I always used to go with 4 weeks from start to end. But I've been told recently with a returned GTX480, it will probably be around 2 months.

What do people expect these days?

(it will be 6 weeks as of next wednesday) I think the brand, from memory, was xfx.

11. Mcrawler

Mcrawler (Banned or Deleted)

xfx is ridiculous for warranty, takes numerous months and if your lucky you may get a working card returned.

My experiences with Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and EVGA were good, all of them except EVGA was within 3 weeks with an australian mailing address, EVGA was overseas and took a touch over 2 months.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ok, well the store I returned it to said I'd either get a new replacement 480 (if they still have them as they are eol now) or a full monetary refund of $611 :shock: I was surprised they would refund the initial amount entirely.

I did ring at the 4 week mark and they said should be another couple of weeks.

If what you are saying is correct and it turns out to be several months then I will never ever buy any of their products again.

13. Lostnewb

Lostnewb Member

Took me 5 weeks for a UD3R m/b to get replaced. That's was returned to point of purchase. (WA though, so probably add a coupla weeks for road freight each way)

14. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

return to reseller doesnt cost you anything but lots of time.
    return to manufacturer is much faster for GIGABYTE here, but may cost you a small administrative fee or something like that.

15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I can back up what Mcrawler said about XFX warranty. I work for a local disty and currently XFX is the worst for RMA returns, taking months. Understandably we have many resellers on our backs since they themselves have end users jumping up and down wondering where the bloody hell are they. We end up getting the buck passed to us since we are the last port of call before it leaves Australia.

Personally I've never had a problem with XFX cards, currently own one and sold a couple about a year ago when upgrading. But with this current fiasco, not touching them again.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sorry guys, my bad, I just spent half an hour locating the receipt, finally found it....I thought it was XFX....but it's not, it's ECS.

ECS are ok?

17. OP
    OP
    mAd_180

mAd_180 Member

Well good news on my RMA gigabyte has no 5970's so im getting a 6990 from them instead =) should be here on monday

18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

if the quality of their hardware is any indication... then no :sick:

19. DFA

DFA Member

Awesome news on the replacement :D

20. master phi

master phi Member

oh my you lucky chump