Gin - The Gentlemen's Drink

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Bearz, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Bearz

Bearz Member

So we've got a whiskey thread, a rum thread and a vodka thread. Surely there must be some gin lovers here? Up till now, I've only tried 3 kinds of gin so far, namely Seagram's, Gordon's and Tanqueray original (possessing the latter 2 varieties). Seagram's wasn't particularly memorable so I can't really comment.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the juniper taste and aroma, so Gordon's is currently my pick since it packs it by the bucketload. It's strong enough to cut through the tonic in a G&T which one of my fave drinks :) Unfortunately, Gordon's is a little harsh on the finish, but can't complain since it's available so widely and cheaply.

Unlike many people, I'm not a big fan of Tanqueray at all, mainly because I find the nose on it to be absolutely awful - an unpleasant rubbing alcohol smell that seems to overwhelm everything else. Tastewise it's seems a bit more prominent on the citrusey botanicals with a fairly strong juniper taste, and fairly smooth despite the higher proof, but I certainly can't justify the extra cost with the awful aroma.

Looking forward to trying out some Beefeater's and Hendrick's sometime soon. Had considered Sapphire in days past, but probably a wise choice not to get it since I like me juniper.

Let discussion begin, gentlemen. And gentlewomen, if present.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

*shrugs*. I dont claim to be a gin expert, my experience is limited. but of the gins I've tried, I like bombay sapphire the most

3. biomaster

biomaster Member

I totally hate Gin. Cant stand the smell or taste. But thats just me. :sick::sick:

Note: My opinion possibly influenced by the time where i nearly drank a litre of gin and proceeded to throw up constantly for the remainder of the night and about half of the next day... *shrugs* :p

Hive likes this.
  4. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

Gin is a winner in general (currently my spirit of choice... along with scotch and tequila if drunk apparently :p). So yes, there should definitely be a gin thread. The Tanqueray you have at the moment is a good choice =D I find it to be a bit more pleasant than Bombay just for drinking to be honest - hell you can even drink it straight!
    There are some very nice gins out there =D hit up your local bottleo if it's any good and go nuts =). I get to be lucky and work in a pretty damn good one (if you like scotch, 'fancy' spirits or wine). If you're feeling rich, try some Hendrick's, Millers, Tanqueray 10, the 42 below gin, ah. way too many to think of =D Heh. I'm just happy to see other gin drinkers :p

5. OP
    OP
    Bearz

Bearz Member

I think the commonly stated reason for that is Sapphire is light on juniper, the distinct "flavour" that makes gin, gin. It focuses more on the herby/citrusey aspects instead, so people that are vodka drinkers or aren't used to the taste tend to prefer it more.

All the brands you mentioned cost so much :( Most are like $50-60 a bottle IIRC? Hendrick's is probably my pick since the cucumber/rose combination sounds intriguing, might wait till I can pick it up duty free.

PROTIP: never drink gin neat. Stir (or shake, if you really want) with some ice and serve with a lemon/lime twist. I personally like my G&T with a wedge of lemon squeezed and dropped in as well.

6. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

I confess to being a tight arse in general, but when it comes to spirits, many people are way too tight. You'd think nothing of spending $20-$30 for a bottle of wine. Spirits have 3.4 times the alcohol content, roughly, of a spirit, so that equates to $68-$102 per bottle in spirits, if you think in terms of $ per standard drink.

When you get into that price range in wine, you are not into the top end at all. Similarly with spirits. If you think you can get "great" wine for less than $20, or "great" spirits for less than $50, then all power to you.

Nothing wrong with drinking cheaper things, of course. Hell, I often drink Tasman Bitter and J&B Whisky, even (sometimes) cask port!!!11!!! but I don't balk at spending $70-$100 on a good single malt or $20 on a bottle of nice Belgian beer.

7. jack_son77

jack_son77 Member

Another gin drinker here.

I love the fact that if you go out, you can drink them all night and feel fine. Unlike scotch & coke or bacardi lemon & lime, where the HUGE amount of sugar hits you well before the alcohol does.

Currently im enjoying a bottle of tanqueray no. 10 which i got bought duty free. White its amazing, with my own money i couldn't jusify spending more than $40ish and heading down to dans to grab a bottle of normal tanqueray, which has been my favorite for a while now.

:thumbup:

8. Anakist

Anakist Member

I have seagrams and tanqueray here at the moment. Much prefer the Tanqueray. Bought the seagrams, had a few G&Ts and bought a nicer bottle.

One these are gone, I will be buying something nicer if I can find it up here. I am in cowboy country so there is bundy rum and a selection of the cheapest of anything else in case they want to get fancy...

James

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sometimes called a womans drink but Gin and Tonic (with a slice of lemon) is probably my favourite drink. I love the bitterness of it and the tangy taste of the lemon every now and again.

10. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

You lucky bugger =( now I just need to get together the money to go o/s or to Dan's... why is there no Dan's in Hobart?!! *curses*

If the cost puts you off the nicer bottles (it does me... I'm a uni student that just had his old car written off for him, and hence poor) then try it when you're out (most half decent bars will have an ok selection). Costs the same as other drinks and as mentioned, you can go all night =) - plus you'd be spending the money anyway :p

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  11. OP
    OP
    Bearz

Bearz Member

So many Tanqueray fans :Paranoid:

Cost is certainly a factor for me when purchasing. Uni student as well (postgrad, so not so bad), but also tbh I don't think my palate is refined enough to make the step up to the ultra-premium drinks as opposed to the good "bang-for-buck" drinks where you could have gotten 2 for the same price.

At least this is the case with gin (probably vodka as well, and other unaged spirits), where my general impression of the super premium label are that they are "cleaner", rather than adding some more interesting character. Hendrick's is the only gin exception I've heard about in that respect. Scotch I would imagine to be completely different as single malts would have completely different characteristics, which would justify forking out extra.

12. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Cost factors in distilled drinks aren't just limited to age.

With Vodka and Gin, you'd be looking at the ingredients in the wash, whether it's had a double or triple distillation, what percentage of the hearts are collected and in the case of Gin, what is in the botanicals. A bit of info about distillation might be handy.

When a wash is fermented, it produces 10-20% alcohol before the yeast dies off and/or the enzymes denature. This is then filtered and passed thru one or two stills to separate out the good stuff: ethanol and esters and to remove the bad stuff: acetone, methanol, fusel alcohols etc. First a stripping run is done, essentially to concentrate the alcohol, then a spirit run. A third distillation can also be done to further clean up the spirit. Some distilleries run one really slow combined stripping/spirit run.

Thru these runs, the first thing to come out of the still is low temperature evaporating things like acetone. They smell bad and are toxic. The next bit is the ethanol, or the "hearts" of the run. The amount of water and other impurities coming out with the heart starts to increase as the temperature of the column rises and as the volume of ethanol remaining in the still decrease. The best spirits retain only the highest concentration of ethanol from this run, which can be 80 or up to 90+% alcohol. This is aged, carbon filtered, then diluted to bottling strength. Different processes in each distillery, of course.

Gin is just the same thing, but in the path of the ethanol vapour, a botanicals chamber is added. This is filled with juniper berries and spices. As the vapour passes thru, it picks up the flavours and aromas of the botanicals.

So there are lots of cost inputs that can affect the quality and price point of Gin. The initial fermentables, the energy and time costs of single or multiple distillation, the percentage of the run that finds its way into the bottle, the quality and quantity of filtration and botanical additions.

There's also marketing ;)

Not much of a gin drinker myself, but I naturally had a bit of a passing interest in it. Gordons was my tipple of choice, tho I didn't mind just about any gin I came across once it was mixed with tonic and a slice of lemon.

13. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

It's one of the few spirits I enjoy mixed. gin, or ouzo. Apart from that if I ever drink spirits it's whisky straight.

Couldnt agree more with postmodern on the attitude of people towards ~$80 bottles of spirits. I dont blink before spending that much on a bottle of whisky, it's worth it. Besides, a bottle lasts a long time for me, it's something I only drink in moderation when I feel like mellowing out with a tumbler and a book, quite unlike beer or wine

14. `X'

`X' Member

i have expensive taste when it comes to drinks so i usually drink more in moderation.

Gin wise, love it! Never really drank it till a friend got me hooked. Gin & Tonic with Fresh Lemon is the win, but I don't mind a Gin & Juice when im out and about (and apparently its very pimp of me).

Which Gin? All I have really tried is Gordons and Tanquerary (the later of which i have in my cupboard). I didnt really like Gordons at all and Tanquerary (im pretty sure im spelling that wrong) is nice for me with Tonic.

As for price, not an issue. I have a friend who is a flight attendant. 1l bottles duty free, any time i want!

15. chriz

chriz Member

+1 Gin and Tonic.

16. PooJou

PooJou Member

+2 - I like bombay sapphire as well - bottle of it sitting in my cupboard :)

17. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

Gin tonic and cucumber? Saw it at a bar once and tried it. It's pretty tasty and a bit different. Awesome, especially on that balmy night sitting outside doing sfa =)

Wonder if gin helps with studying? Got tanqueray, bombay and gordons all here and this thread is making me thirsty =D

18. ed3r

ed3r Member

Gin and Tonic is probably one of my favourite "1 x spirit + 1 x other" mixes. So refreshing.

19. scon

scon Member

Yeah, gin is quite possibly my favourite spirit.

Gin and Tonics.

Cucumber Martinis.

Gin and Cranberry Juice topped with some soda.

20. Pablo_H

Pablo_H Member

I want to like gin, just like I want to buy tequila.
    I've only tried gordons, beefeaters and other bottom shelf brands.
    But like the tequilas I desperately love (straight), the cost is prohibative for gins.
    My budget is $30 per week for spirits, so that means I'm buying cheap whisky.
    I'm not a big fan of gin yet, I'd like to get to know it better. But if the people that import gins and tequilas think they deserve a higher price for it than whiskeys etc, then they don't get my dollars or buy in to part of my addiction :D
    I buy one carton of beer a week, one bottle of spirits a weekend, and all of it gets drunk. As much a I like to buy my favourites or expand my spirits, it's not happening under the current prcing of gin when the good stuff is never on special.
    But I do really want to try something better than I've had before, so let us know what the cheapest decent stuff is, or whatever is marked down in special and I'll give it another try.