Gin - The Gentlemen's Drink

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Bearz, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Yeah I love sloe gin. Keep meaning to get a bottle to give my partner a try, think it'll be to her taste too

2. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

I recently got a couple of bottles:-
    - Bareksten Botanical Gin (Norway) which was really nice straight up or with a bit of fevertree tonic water.
    - Bridge Rd (yeah the brewery in Beechworth) Gin which I'm yet to open. Made with Galaxy hops and the usual ingredients I suspect.

3. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

took an interesting take on the traditional G&T at my birthday a week or so ago
    standard G&T plus add maybe a half shot of chambord to it, gives a nice tart berry flavour to it and made my face really really red and warm haha

4. resonance

resonance Member

How do you all serve your gin? I was looking at what gin is normally served in neat and it's not clear cut but seems the Copa del Balon glass is traditionally the most accepted. I need to look up where to get some. I picked up a bottle of Williams Chase Sloe Mulberry the other day.

This article is pretty good for starting out too.
    https://m.wikihow.com/Drink-Gin

5. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

firey4059 likes this.
  6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

https://theginisin.com/gin-reviews/roku-gin/

MR CHILLED likes this.
  8. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Thread revivals everywhere at the moment.
    Big Gin Fan, I don't want to count how many bottles we have... it'd be scary.

Some favourites...

Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz (Vic) - neat with orange peel, sometimes a splash of tonic if i want it to last longer.
    Forty Spotted (TAS)
    Monkey 47 (French)
    Poor Toms (Sydney) - tonic with strawberry.
    West Winds (WA)

Also, if you want something a little different, I'd highly recommend Sheeps Whey Gin, bought a bottle in Tassie. Very different.

For those in Vic, also highly recommend visiting a bar called 'Bad Frankie' great collection of Aussie spirits including an ever growing gin collection.

firey4059 likes this.
  9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Hey, finally somebody in this Gin thread who actually likes Gin!

firey4059 likes this.
  10. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

What.... no one else does? There is a few posts. :p

11. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I love the taste of gin, but it wrecks my sinuses. :(

12. firey4059

firey4059 Member

We recently went to a distillery in Drysdale, near St. Leonards (Vic). They distill scotch and gin, but when were there, the scotch was unfinished but their gin is bloody great. I highly recommend trying a tasting which costs $5/head which you get rebated if you buy a bottle of their best. The place is known as The Whiskery (Bellarine Distillery). Find them at www.bellarinedistillery.com.au Opn Friday to Sunday 11am - 5pm located Cnr Scotchmans Road and Portarlington Road, Drysdale. The gin is named Teddy and the fox (there's a story to it). The 700 ml bottle of Teddy RRP is $85 and we received a $10 credit (from our tasting). Can post pics if requested.
    CR

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How so? Sinusitis? And only gin?

14. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Incidentally Cannon Hill Brewing/ Bar 951 on the brisbane southside got their distillers license and are planning on making whiskey and gin by later this year if anyone's in that neck of the woods. Be interesting to see what they come up with.

firey4059 likes this.
  15. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Sulphur flares my sinuses (used to suffer chronic sinusitis before getting surgery).
    Champagne, cider, and gin are some of the alcohols that make me wake up stuffy. It sucks but it's not worth the pain and discomfort .

firey4059 likes this.
  16. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

There's 3+ pages of people who like Gin :p

firey4059 likes this.
  17. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Suffice to say I'm a snob. I don't understand how anybody can say they like Gin and then drink bad Gin.

firey4059 likes this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Any gin better than no gin?

19. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

I'm in that boat myself, hence my usual house Gin of Sipsmith.
    There's plenty of good stuff in this thread though was the point I was making haha.

20. Chewtoy

Chewtoy Member

Since I'm more than a fan of gin now, I'll add a few more brands and bottles for people to try:

Bass & Flinders (VIC) has a number of good Australian style (our gins tend to be lighter on the juniper and coriander than the typical 'London Dry' styles) gins, including their 'Soft & Smooth' (nice citrusy gin), their Cerise is delicious neat, and if you want something a bit odd, try the Angry Ant gin.

Four Pillars also do some other unusual gins, namely their Chardonnay and Sherry gins, in addition to those already mentioned. Though I'm partial to the Bloody Shiraz (and have a half-case of this years release to prove it - all they'd let me get!).

Also worth mentioning is Scapegrace (NZ), who do a nice small batch dry gin.

Oh, and if you're in Melbourne, like gin and haven't yet been to the Gin Palace... Do yourself a favour and go. They have a very large selection of gins, and gin-based drinks, to choose from. They also do quite a few 'gin tasting plates', which can be a nice intro to some different gins, or just different ways to have some old favourites. Not a cheap place though, but well worth it each time I've been.