1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Glasshouse Mountains Sunrise

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by matt-chops, Jul 30, 2011.

1. matt-chops

matt-chops Member

I went for a walk up Wild Horse Mountain this morning with Alfonzo to take some sunrise photos of the Glasshouse Mountains. It was pitch black walking up the mountain so the uber-nerd headlamps we got on eBay a while back were very handy.

The final image is a stitch and 5:1 crop of 16 shots. Full res is about 114 megapixel.

I'm not 100% sold on the image, I would have liked some lower cloud to kind of join the sky and mountains a little more smoothly, but you just can't control the weather. I think I might try it again some time soon to see if I can really nail it.

[​IMG]
    Glasshouse Mountains Sunrise by matt_chops, on Flickr

2. [kane]

[kane] Member

Nice idea with the 5:1 crop ;) looks good.

Thanks
    Kane

3. OP
    OP
    matt-chops

matt-chops Member

I know right!

I tried a 3:1 but it just wasn't wide enough. :D

4. TwinII

TwinII Member

Hahah nice one. The curvature on the cloud on the right hand side looks a bit un-natural but other than that good effort. You got some decent colour in the cloud there. Let me know next time you're going and I'll see if I want to get up early. Hahaha.

5. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

For me, and this is purely personal taste, the majesty of the mountains is lost somewhat with all this sky...

I would perhaps make it more like 8:1 or 10:1 and concentrate more on the mountains, but again that's a purely subjective comment.

6. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Lol what is with the Avatar? My parents bought a toaster like that a few weeks ago... :lol:

7. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

What was more nerdy, the bit where we both had LED head lamps or the bit when we were talking about crossing the streams? :D

Fun morning, shame the sky didn't really do anything overly dramatic. Still yet to go through my shots to see if anything came out of the trip. Definitely keen to go back for another shot (har har).

That's what she said. :weirdo:

8. OP
    OP
    matt-chops

matt-chops Member

I hear ya. That bit is just so boring without the clouds though. A tighter 5:1 would be optimal if there was some more cloud interest or better colour in the sky just above the mountains.

I want those clouds you shot last week in this shot. Those fluffy streaky clouds. That would look sexy.

I heard a rumor that you're the sunrise guru... let me know when there will be a good one and I'll be there. Really want to nail this shot.

Also... I forgot to take my jacket with me. Rocked a polo... was totally fine.

I've had the same one for like 4 years... AMAZING TOAST. You just don't know what you're missing out on until you've had toast from that badboy.

No, no... that's what ya mum said.

9. TwinII

TwinII Member

I don't know where you heard that! I think it couldn't be further from the truth. The last couple of sunrises it has either been raining, overcast or not a single cloud in the sky! I think it comes down to luck.

That doesn't surprise me......made me laugh though!

10. OP
    OP
    matt-chops

matt-chops Member

I quite like the stubborn approach... just keep doing something until you get what you want. I'm going to keep going back and walking up a stupidly steep hill in the dark until I get the shot I want. :D

On saturday my barber was telling me he rode a bike up that hill when he was younger... then just about died almost hitting the gate on the way back down.

11. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

I have the model before it. Would have been about 4-5 years ago.

It's pretty good toast :leet: