1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Gloomy Autumn day for e-session? No worries. Add a CTO gel backlight!

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by dche5390, Apr 24, 2012.

1. dche5390

dche5390 Member

These are the last few pictures I took with my D3 before it shat itself over the weekend during a wedding.

I like to rage at wedding photographers who shoot only with natural light. It shits me to tears because they stop shooting when things get dark. Fair enough, if you're a newbie, then by all means. But if you're charging in excess of $2,000, I expect you to know how to use a flappin' flash. /rage

I do prefer to have e-sessions on sunny days, just in case the wedding day is rained out. But rainy days also have their moments. I like the rain. It adds drama and character to the context. It is a bit of a hassle, but the results are still the same.

To add some warmth to a dull overcast day, I put on the full CTO gell that came standard with my SB910 and used it as the rim light all day. It adds a nice warm glow (as opposed to the blue cold colour when the speedlight is not gelled).

The photos below are a mixture of the 180mm (f/3.5-4 mostly) and 24-70mm (mostly wide open).

Backlight (SB910) triggered using Phottix Strato's. AF on AF-C, focus assigned to AF-ON. Shot in full manual exposure. Everything on evaluative/matrix metering.

All edited using LR4 and vscoFILM. #9 has +30 clarity. #10-12 had a SB900 inside a 60cm softbox, held by assistant (kwax) standing 3 meters away from the subject.

Settings per photo are in the title.

1.1/640 f/2.8 ISO100
    [​IMG]

2. 1/200 f/3.5 ISO160
    [​IMG]

3. 1/125 f3.5 ISO200
    [​IMG]

4. 1/100 f/2.8 ISO100
    [​IMG]

5. 1/200 f/2.78 ISO100
    [​IMG]

6.1/160 f/2.8 ISO640
    [​IMG]

7. 1/160 f/2.8 ISO640
    [​IMG]

8. 1/100 f/2.8 ISO640
    [​IMG]

9. 1/100 f/2.8 ISO640
    [​IMG]

10. 1/15 f/2.8 ISO200
    [​IMG]

11. 1/15 f/2.8 ISO200
    [​IMG]

12. 1/15 f/2.8 ISO800
    [​IMG]

Give these settings a go on your next shoot. Chimp. Then think of the exposure triangle to correct for what's wrong.

Any questions?

PS - Totes should buy a SB910 if you're sitting on the fence. Much better than the SB900. And DWI sometimes, have them on random specials! Win!

2. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Fantastic...

Love 4, 5, 7 in particular. :thumbup:

3. Rabe

Rabe Member

7 is my pick of the bunch, but all are great. Only one I would say anything about is 3, just feel like that thing (edge of the wall?) in the left of the frame is a bit obtrusive.

4. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

They're all good, but yes #7 is the winner for me as well. I also don't get wedding photographers who are scared to use OCF.

5. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

The photos are nice, but a lot of the couples poses are pretty identical.

6. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

All very high quality shots, the only shot I would change is #10, lack of jawline makes the face look like a big blob :) ..

I'm still waiting to shoot a wedding in the rain. So desperate that I created artificial rain for a couple a few weeks ago :) ..

Not sure why brides are so afraid of the rain, I normally tell them I'm afraid of the sun, especially on cloudless days.

BTW, did you leave the SB910 in the rain ?? I'll be too scare to test out the 'waterproofness' of my gears :)

7. wisie

wisie Member

Really liking these Dan and props for having the balls to shoot against the grain slightly by using some flash. I really need to get myself a copy of VSCO...

8. michaeliam

michaeliam Member

Your editing and ingenuity with shooting is great.

Perhaps some more diversity in posing would be nice.

9. Craggles

Craggles Member

I like them all, especially the processing of the colour images.

Did you use ASE4 for these of the VSCO presets?

Give me some hints on how you processed them please :p

I've just got ASE4 and am slowly working through some old photo's to get the hang of it.

10. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

I think you have to press the VSCO Porta 800++ preset, then set LR4 noise to 0 and presto .. * Err correct me if I'm wrong Dan :) *

Maybe, I shouldn't say anything as it take away the mystery of processing ..

11. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

They've all got a film grain old school look about them which I LOVE.

Great set processing wise..

I'm not a fan of some of the compositions, but the processing is great.

12. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

For LR3:

Kodak Portra 160
    Fade+
    Grain (none)

Exposure -20
    Recovery +20 (at least)
    Fill light +15
    Blacks +9
    Brightness +50
    Contrast +5
    Clarity +10
    Vibrance +15
    Saturation +10

Darks -20
    Shadows +20 (at least)

Sharpness 0
    NR 0

Shadows -8 (tint)

ASE4 is just a glorified sharpener and slight vignette adding engine. A $249 one at that :shock: I no longer use it for toning. Sometimes, I'll add in a light leak for FB uploads, but that is about it. I'm over yellow pee pee sky actions. Totally over them.

Yeah. I suck at posing. I have no ideas. Then add in trying to get as natural as emotion when adding a backlight and being quite close to the subjects, in this field, is quite challenging. Most couples have never been in front of the camera, and to get actually well lit stuff, requires a high degree of 'posing' and direction which immediately removes the rawness of the 'emotion'. I definitely need to work on new ideas that work with the Western crowd.

I'm finding myself using the 24-70 more and more. Being so close is intimidating for the more reserved couples who are not too confident in expressing themselves openly.

I need a friggin' creative director. I'm as creative as tits on a bull.

SB910 handles light rain like a baws. It also handles falling over from my monopod quite well too. Pop pop pop it goes.

13. isaaus

isaaus Member

I am digging #3 :thumbup:

14. michaeliam

michaeliam Member

Recently I have watched Bambi Cantrell on Creativelive. You may have already done this. I have found some of their techniques quite useful and have adopted it in my recent shoots.

My style (and obviously this is different for everyone) is more of a candid, natural style. I don't tend to use artificial lighting as much as this cramps (for want of a better word) my natural style and interrupts the flow of my shoot.

You are absolutely right that most couples have never shot in and this is what I tell them. I try to shoot long as well so that i'm not up in their face. ENcouragement works wonders as well as they feel more comfortable. Reiterating what worked well and showing them some great shots of them really perks them up.

You probably do most (if not all) of this already but I thought i'd share some of my techniques as it's nice to say aloud.

15. Craggles

Craggles Member

Thanks for the processing details Daniel.

With regards to AEO4, I'm still in the process of playing with it but to be honest I really prefer keeping my processing all within Lightroom.

I haven't actually paid for AEO4 yet but I'll have a bit more of a play before I decide.

16. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

I hear ya.. I'd love to work with a stylist on my shoots ;)

17. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

Being a male tog makes it more of a challenge for couples to...express themselves and their relationship. Having a girl coordinate / style with the couple makes things so much more "candid". Hiring one makes sense in the long run but with a start up its a bit costly.

18. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

I can be a girl :D I'll be anything you want :tongue:

19. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

R-ady boys make every one on zee shoot uncomfortabrruuuu....:lol:

20. Turbo56k

Turbo56k Member

Dont wear mini skirt and make sure your nuts are tucked in :thumbup::p