Gmail for Business

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Paul Warren, May 28, 2012.

1. Frodo

Frodo Member

I'm a fan of Google Apps and have been using it for work for the last 3+ years and believe it's a step in the right direction for many. I also use it on my personal domain as well (free edition).

You can purchase it from local resellers, who will also be able to help you set it up and do stuff like migrate your users and previous email/calendar/contacts to the Google Cloud. There are different deployment techniques such as dual delivery to allow bigger organizations to make the move across in stages. For small businesses (less than 30 users) it's really easy to do and setup yourself.

There's a heap of information on the net about what you can do and how you can go about setting it up. You can also run free Google Apps for Business trials - for a "stand-alone" trial, you can either grab a separate domain name or set up a subdomain such as gapps.warcom.com.au.

See: http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/index.html

For me, the strongest benefit is having everything available on-demand and mobility (smart phone). With 25GB of storage for email, it's not likely you'll have to ever delete an email again. After using it for over 3 years I'm only using 7% of the 25GB.

2. zfind

zfind Member

In my case, I purchased a hosting package from a dedicated hosting company (not my ISP) which included on domain registration. I'm listed as the owner from what I can see and nothing I saw indicated that they had any ownership over the domain. So I think I'm safe. The ISP doesn't have anything to do with my hosting or domains. They just give me internet access :).

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

If this is still available, I'd love to hear more about it. :).

4. Daemon

Daemon Member

Do a "whois" lookup on the domain (http://www.ausregistry.com.au/whois), if you are the registrant then you own the domain and can move it. The regulations mean that for a .com.au you should be the registrant (ie the owner) and generally the billing / technical is the company who registered it on your behalf.

5. zfind

zfind Member

I'm listed under 'Admin name' and 'Organisation name', there isn't any registrant field in the whois result. This is a .com domain. I do have whois privacy enabled so the rest of the details are of the host.

6. newgen

newgen Member

Love it how after all these pages of responses the OP hasn't even bothered to return to the thread.

7. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

Don't hold back IAC... just tell us how you really feel. :Pirate:

8. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Not entirely a waste. I like these threads created by OCAU sponsors... it's sort of like a vendor verdict. It tells me where I shouldn't be spending my money, so I just spend it with other sponsors.

9. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

lol hounded off Whirlpool. I can only imagine what OP actually said in this thread let alone on Whirlpool... I exercise my Ignore List pretty heavily (including OP a while ago) :Pirate:

10. chip

chip Member

That's pretty much par for the course on OCAU. Someone posts a thread, several people put some effort in to share expertise/help/answers/suggestions, and the OP never reappears.

11. chip

chip Member

Pretty much, I've more or less given up on it all.