1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

GMAIL label prefix orders and hacks?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Crewcut, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Crewcut

Crewcut New Member

I use lots of labels in my gmail, and I'm wondering if there's a list of ascending / descending order of how various prefixes work in order?

I've noticed a dash (-) before the word puts that label above an asterix.

What other gmail sorting hacks should I know?

2. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I'd be keen to hear about any tips too.

AFAIK there is no order, everything applies... all the time. This makes some label filters quite long if you have lots of email trying to include things in one label then exclude them from another, like if you label myemail@email.com as something, then add another label for any mail with subject "bla bla", any email that meets both criteria gets both labels and appears in both "folders" which means you have to have filters which then exclude other things. It's a real shame there isn't an Outlook style hierarchical list of rules/filters which can include a "stop processing rules if this applies" option.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

4. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut New Member

I don't think spaces work in the prefix of a gmail label list.

Labels will of course sort by numbers of alphabet, but the symbols?

From my own testing (of manually adding # test and # testing and # test again to see if they group properly) they seem to go...
    -
    !
    ( note = this behaved weird and thought I had already used that name. In other words, the bracket ( seemed to be ignored and it went straight to TEST so I had to add other letters to my word so it wasn't identical.
    ) note = same as above.
    @
    &
    #
    %
    +
    $

Banned symbols
    ^

I know this is a bit OCD, but the exercise is about finding more comfortable labelling regimes.

EDIT TO ADD: WARNING! Some symbols may be irrelevant and it just sorted by letter - it's not behaving at all!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020