Gnome devs locking down theming.

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by flu!d, Oct 18, 2018.

1. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

What does everyone think about Gnome devs locking down theaming?

I understand their point and I guess I would be more accommodating if it wasn't for the fact that the Gnome devs seem to want to lock down some part of GTK+ every month or so, but personally I think one of the major strengths of Linux is the fact that we aren't locked down to the one UI and everything can be personalized.

I thought I'd be safe provided I avoided the Gnome DE, which is fine by me as I can't stand the Gnome DE. But the limitations seem to be impacting upstream GTK+ which has already affected my freedoms regarding customization under my favorite MATE DE with the removal of the color chooser under Themes > Customization. The default green of the Ubuntu MATE DE just isn't going to cut it for me and I'm a little annoyed that I have to go digging around CSS just to get rid of horrible, horrible green!

Take a look at the following article. Food for thought, but worrying at the end of the day...

...What really concerns me is the fact that every example highlighted in the link below relates specifically to Gnome, I experience none of these issues under my MATE DE...

https://blogs.gnome.org/tbernard/2018/10/15/restyling-apps-at-scale/

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

The Gnome devs have been lost in the tall grass for quite some time.

elvis likes this.
  3. Statitica

Statitica Member

I think the gnome devs are the macos devs of the Linux DE world.

Although on MATE, I recently switched to Manjaro mate 1.20 (Ubuntu 18.04 felt like a step backwards from 16.04 for me), and while it's nice, it's a bit of a mixed bag of gnome and kde.

flu!d likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I still haven't upgraded to 18.04. TBH I'm really torn about it and this new GTK+ limitation makes me want to stick with 16.04 even more.

Statitica likes this.
  5. Statitica

Statitica Member

I tried it for a month, and the only way I can describe it is as a step backwards.
    • Support of some packages was dropped (normal behaviour, but annoying when the package dropped is the preferred option). I realise this is a purely personal objection, but keeping planner and making it difficult to install calligra-plan (have to build from source to do it) was one of the first regressions I noticed (could install the entire calligra suite, but no plan package).
    • Automating apt update on add-apt-repository is freaking retarded.
    • The official 18.04 repositories hold packages like "linux-generic-16.04-hwe"
    • Various other minor things felt unfinished.
    It's as though they froze the packages before they were done, and even at 04.1 it isn't really ready for mainline use.

EDIT: the kde stuff came in via VLC which is qt5, and Manjaro automatically pulled in kvantum which is a qt5 manager. Everything else works as I am used to.

My wife's machine is running Ubuntu gnome, but to be honest everything feels a little locked down still.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    flu!d likes this.
  6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think I'm still enjoying KDE on grunty machines, and LXDE on lower end machines.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.