1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Go on, be honest, you use Moccona jars for loads of stuff too, don't you?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by DrJK, Sep 15, 2021.

1. DrJK

DrJK Member

The crappiest coffee I could ever stand was Moccona. And even then, original was barely tolerable until Indulgence came along which was then upstaged by Ristretto.

All of them were still awful though when compared to peak roasted speciality beans freshly ground just before using in an infusion or pourover brew.

But I digress. The point is that I kept the fucking jars 'cause the jars are fucking awesome. Well, I mean, I kept some of them, 'cause they build up quick when you're too poor to afford beans, but I kept more than enough to satisfy my pantry storage needs, among other things.

Go on, admit it, you like Moccona more for the jars than the coffee. It's OK, you're among friends.

Groff, RnR and JSmithDTV like this.
  2. slavewone

slavewone Member

In my family it’s KRAFT BEGA Peanut butter tubs for EvErYtHiNg from tools to toys to plants

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

wife literally has a cupboard full of jars from various sauces/spreads/coffee in the kitchen

someon3, Yehat and DrJK like this.
  4. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Just for rice storage.

5. OP
    OP
    DrJK

DrJK Member

And flour and lentils and the smaller ones for spices and the really large ones for beans and...

6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

The jar probably costs more than the cheap coffee inside it... the jar isn't free. ;)

But yeah, they're good jars. :D

JSmith

DrJK likes this.
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hi Dr, I have a problem :D

But seriously I keep them because as far as jars go they aren't too bad with that rubber seal top. But I keep a lot of other jars simply for jams, chutneys etc that I make.

8. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

You shut your whore mouth, Moccona is the gold standard for us normal people who don't care if a barista knows their name. If you reckon Moccona is bad, try International Roast, which is made in Gympie. Now if that doesn't tell you all you need to know about it, I don't know what else I can say.

And I've emailed Moccona asking them to bring out a environmentally friendly refill pack. I've got too many jars.

Ratzz, Revenge, someon3 and 3 others like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    DrJK

DrJK Member

Second best.

10. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

High five! At least it used to be when the jars were made of glass.
    A couple of screws through the lids into the bottom of the support beams under the house then all your screws and nails etc were right there easy to see and easy to get too.

Moccona jars are good, but they're just too big when you have 40,000 of them. They get to a point where they're just to big and heavy to be viable... Peters 2 litre ice cream containers though! They weigh nothing, Stack when you're not using them, are UV proof, and are the perfect length, width and height for 99% of all storage and project needs.

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

... and as a magpie hat. ;)

JSmith

MUTMAN and roxydog like this.
  12. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I wouldn't know about that. I haven't been swooped by magpies in about 15 years. One day I started feeding them, and not the other random birds... And they know not to bite the hand that feeds them.
    Magpies are territorial. So I see people getting swooped and attacked all the time, but all I can do is laugh because I haven't been since I started feeding them. A few will eat right out of my hands at this point.

The biggest bonus is, the magpies keep the fucking crows away because they know they have to defend their food.
    I used to be woken up all the time by fucking crows till I taught the magpies that if they kept those annoying fuckwits away from me I would reward them greatly.

roxydog and l_ QuadX_l like this.
  13. mtma

mtma Member

I'll admit... I transfer the Blend 43 out of cans to Moccona jar and use the jar for the last step of dispensing.

Also have teabags et cetera in the jars. They're airtight enough to suit those roles, and easy to open and close so yes they're used for that a lot. I think there's a heap of the ones with special patterns on them, mostly only keep those as we don't buy Moccona that often.

14. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Salsa Jars for fastener storage with screws through the underside of the lids :thumbup:

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. fad

fad Member

I liked the peanut jars which were cups.

16. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Blend 43 is horrible.. Moconna is better (even if it didn't come in a nice jar)

17. OP
    OP
    DrJK

DrJK Member

Yeah, I don't get this either. Even with milk & sugar, 43 is awful. And don't even get me started on International Roast. Like, holy shitballs, how the fuck is that third?

18. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Lol any list that has Blend 43 in it, let alone in the number one spot, should be burned and thrown in the sea. I caught the herp just by clicking that link.

Moccona #1

roxydog and supasaiyan like this.
  19. Revenge

Revenge Member

Made that mistake once....
    Won't make it again..
    I am almost certain it is made from roasted and ground cockroaches

roxydog and PunX0r like this.
  20. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Coming from Gympie, it wouldn't surprise me.