1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Go to Core i5/i7 or stick with my Q9650?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by jam3sh1ll, Dec 11, 2009.

1. jam3sh1ll

jam3sh1ll Member

Hey everyone, this is my first post so bare with me :).

Okay I have a Q9650 seated in a GA-EP31-S2L and my question is, should I upgrade my motherboard and CPU or Just my motherboard. I am going to get back into overclocking and gaming so I need the best bang for buck!

So how does the Q9650 perform against the i5 750 or i7 860?

I am aware that I will need new memory. As well as a new GPU.

I hope someone can help. Thanks. :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

shouldnt you work out if you NEED it first before you go wanting it? :)

3. zaim

zaim Member

keep your quad man.... i was debating about moving to an i7 myself.. but my stock q9550 works a treat doing my everyday shit.. if you want performance, invest in some new hard drives, like ssd's in raid or something and a video card

4. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

Id go with the new motherboard + RAM option if you dont have the money to go all out on an i5/i7 system. The Q9650 is still a great performer as far as im concerned and can overclock to >4Ghz.

5. OP
    OP
    jam3sh1ll

jam3sh1ll Member

Okay I think I will stick my quad then. I will just replace the motherboard to something that can handle overclocking. I will also look into a new graphics card, SSD and watercooling.

So what is the best buy for graphics cards these day? I heard the 5000 series from is killer but what is the sweet spot?

What socket 775 motherboard would you recommend? I was thinking the Foxconn BlackOp's, if I can find one.

How hard would it be to install a watercooling loop in an Antec 300?

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

i think you shouldnt bother buying anythign extra until you work out WHAT you needs, not what you want :)

7. OP
    OP
    jam3sh1ll

jam3sh1ll Member

Okay my needs are... Gaming, overclocking, LANing, blogging, video editing and yeah your usual stuff.

8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

and which of those arent you currently happy with, with your current rig?

9. NormM

NormM Member

I think you'll find that most PC enthusiasts on these boards get what they want NOT what they need. :tongue:

10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

and thats where we all fail.
    i only need about 300GB of hdd space, i obviously have way more than that :)

11. OP
    OP
    jam3sh1ll

jam3sh1ll Member

Okay then... well I know that my current rig can handle all of those things. I just feel it is time for an update and I haven't installed any new tech in ages. I long for the smell of new hardware :(

12. JonP

JonP (Banned or Deleted)

well ur video card is the same era as mine - that would be my starting point for an upgrade

13. OP
    OP
    jam3sh1ll

jam3sh1ll Member

Yeah I am thinking the 5850 or 5870. I would like to get a 5970 but i will get a bottleneck I think and I dont want to sell my kidney :D

14. Spork!

Spork! Member

Newegg recently had Blackops < $100 US. Finding one in Aus. may be tricky though, and I think freight from US would be prohibitive due to size of box...
    Some people had trouble with them, and the Foxconn BIOS updates (or lack thereof) leave a bit to be desired. Having said thet, mine worked fine right out of the box and easilly does >400 fsb with a C2Q.
    If it's working, check out Foxconn's "Quantum Force" website. Also the Quantum Force board @ Xtreme Systems has plenty of info, pro's and con's re that board.

15. thekovac

thekovac Member

I agree with the above posters - you really don't NEED an upgrade - sure a upgrade will nicely empty your pocket and give you some more speed, but is it really worth it? ... the Q9650 is still a very powerful cpu - very much at the high end of the cpu's in the market.... why waste your money to only gain a few extra milliseconds or get a few extra frames........ if you're happy and satisfied with your pc now then why throw out $500/600 min "just because I haven't upgraded anything".....

you'll see from my sig that I have pretty outdated hardware but it does handle all that I throw at it pretty well and I'm happy with it so for me it comes down to going - well it works and when I'm unhappy with its performance I'll look at upgrading...

If you really feel the need to upgrade then yes the graphics card is the real weak link in your system.... chuck in a 58xx series or maybe the GTX300 series nvidia card when they come out and you'll be set for the next 1-2 years easy!

Good luck with your choice :)

16. EC MEISTER

EC MEISTER Member

Yeh I'd have to agree as well, I'm in the same boat and I'd like to keep my money despite wanting to get new stuff. I'm very happy with the performance I get out of this system, I game, video/audio edit and work on multimedia projects. I think you'd find the hole thats been burnt in your pocket wouldn't seem to be worth that much. Wait for some of the newer technologies to become mainstream before you upgrade.

17. iNoob

iNoob Member

Sandy bridge is due next year depending on the Westmere's sucess... I would stick with the quad. Start putting a little bit away for the next major build, by the time it comes up you should have enough to buy some high end stuff.

18. Olle_34

Olle_34 Member

Pfffffffffftttttttt
    Dont listen to logic :rolleyes:
    Do as i did and go buy i5,you know you want to :thumbup:
    gotta lurve that new hardware smell mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm omm num num

19. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

Haha, gotta love that "low end" smell. I'd stick with the Q9650 (I have a Q9550 clocked to 3.7Ghz, which probably outperforms that i5 at stock and I'm sticking with mine). Anyway, seeing as you probably don't need the power (if you're asking in the first place OP, obviously you don't ;)), you'll be fine with the Q9650. Your Q9650 isn't far behind anyway, so it simply isn't worth spending $100's to buy the new stuff (RAM, CPU, Motherboard...)

20. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Why not just go for a mid range P45 board, they will most likely not cost you more than $170 and you will get a very similar OC with wasting heaps

EP45-UD3L or P5Q3 come to mind

you should also pick up some more ram, i would just grab a 4gb kit from the forums

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009