1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

God Of War announced for PC launches January 14th 2022 | DLSS, 21:9

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Trizae, Oct 21, 2021.

1. micsway123

micsway123 Member

nailed it, however there seem to be hints of some freedom later on with side quests?

Sankari likes this.
  2. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Just a run of the mill linear narrative driven adventure game? Not sure what consoles have to do with the design choice as massive open world games are entirely possible and built for them too.

I actually like games like this, not everything has to be a vast open world for you to waste 50 hours in. A tight well paced linear story has its place too (obviously, as this game is highly acclaimed).

power, Drizz06 and walker_2003 like this.
  3. Sankari

Sankari Member

It's true that there are some open world console games (HZD; DG) and they are done extremely well, which shows what can be achieved when the develops actually give a shit. But they are the exceptions, not the norm.

Console games are too often linear, restrictive, and hand-holdy by design.

4. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Pretty much all games are made by consoles first and foremost though, your point is honestly lost on me. Name me a recent large scale game that was made solely for PC gamers?

There is a demand for linear story driven games. That is not exclusive to consoles. Sony happened to have built a strong library of IP built on this demand with TLOU, GOW, and Uncharted but I think you're kidding yourself if you think that is because some kind of console limitation. People buy them in droves when they come to PC too.

Red Dead
    GTA
    Far Cry
    Just cause
    Infamous
    Spiderman + Miles Morales
    Etc etc etc
    Would they exist if they weren't marketed to console gamers?

5. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

To be fair how "open world" do you really want the game to be. His story is linier so the gameplay kind of has to be, its more telling a story then just letting you run around. If you want a open world you can go to witcher or skyrim, both of which have bigger open worlds but imho, pretty average story when compared to GOW.

walker_2003 likes this.
  6. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

That's just a bad take in general I think. I'm going to say on a whole you've got a preference for immersive sims and all things open, but don't confuse a curated experience with a 'console game' because I'm certain PC's are awash with them too.

I feel the sooner people just play the games and ignore the platform (or platform of origin) the more fun they will have; PCMR to console diehards, they're all as idiotic as the other.

jpw007 and Drizz06 like this.
  7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

That's not a console limitation but a game design choice. Game does open up a bit later with things you can do at different orders and things you don't even have to do (pesky Valkyries).

Its amazing just hang in there.

Drizz06 likes this.
  8. micsway123

micsway123 Member

do you also find your settings reset each time you run this app?

9. The Beast

The Beast Member

Nope.

10. micsway123

micsway123 Member

worked it out

1. Set your settings

2. X out of the application and reopen
    The only way it saves settings is when you close the application by not turning off your PC.

The Beast likes this.
  11. The Beast

The Beast Member

Your PC turns off? Where do I get that feature?

12. Sankari

Sankari Member

Finished this today, and I can't quite see what all the fuss is about.

Yes, it's a very pretty game, it's fun to play despite the rampant consoleitis, and it tries hard to extend the length of gameplay by forcing you to revisit areas over and over again (another classic console feature) but the ending was anti-climactic and felt very flat.

The best parts were the fights with Baldur, who was a formidable opponent. I loved fighting him. Voice acting was surprisingly good (Mymir and Sindri were the standouts, both of them utterly hilarious).

But the world itself is so sparsely populated that most of the time you're just wandering around in empty spaces looking for another item quota to complete. There was so much style, yet so little substance.

It's a good game, not what I'd call a AAA title, but a decent romp nonetheless.

13. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Did you hunt out Sigrun?

14. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

And speaking of which, hunted her out last night along with the platinum trophy. Definitely the true boss of the game.

Trizae likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

She really is, the Vakyries and Sigrun are the real meat and potatoes of GoW everything before that and baldur are just practice

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Psychologically speaking, I enjoyed the very strange path you took here. I look forward to more wild takes.

Trizae and power like this.
  17. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Any deals out for this game?

18. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

NanoDuke likes this.
  19. micsway123

micsway123 Member

just finished it, solid all the way through, think I made the game harder than it had to be with the difficulty setting, quite enjoyed it

Trizae likes this.